R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-24-2011, 07:18 PM   #16
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

The track I run at will not allow anything other than hard case packs and I'm pretty sure that holds true for most tracks. The cost of hard case lipos has come down in price so much that there is really no reason to run soft packs, unless you are flying.
georgec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:08 PM   #17
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If I make my own hard case will they allow it?
looklikeaflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:32 AM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by looklikeaflip View Post
If I make my own hard case will they allow it?
Proably not but the only way to know is contact the track you intend to run. Hard cases are a safety precaution. While I can't say for sure that there is any case certification for batteries it stands to reason that due to product liability concerns, most if not all hard cases are well built with appropriate materials. Could the case you build be better? Maybe. I wouldn't want to be the track director depending on it, nor the person pitting next to you.

A better bet is take the suggestion another poster gave you and just drop a few bucks on a hard case battery. The initial expense is small if you factor in the consistant performance and long life of a properly cared for LIPO battery. It also shows you have some regard for the safety of the facility you race at as well as the people in it.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:34 AM   #19
Suspended

Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)

the majority of you probably dont even realize that a "hardcase" pack, is nothing more then a softpack tossed into a plastic case...

that shimmys around, rubs on the plastic, etc etc..

i broke one of my hardcases apart, and couldnt beleive how much wear was on the actual LIPO, just from rubbing around INSIDE the hardcase.
1-SC8E,Baja xl-2200 ---2000Firebird <slow daily driver!
Owner/operator---Zero To 60 Performance!
FTSC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:43 AM   #20
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTSC10 View Post
the majority of you probably dont even realize that a "hardcase" pack, is nothing more then a softpack tossed into a plastic case...

that shimmys around, rubs on the plastic, etc etc..

i broke one of my hardcases apart, and couldnt beleive how much wear was on the actual LIPO, just from rubbing around INSIDE the hardcase.
On most touring cars where the battery is located to the side with no impact protection I'll still go with a hard case battery. even if the battery inside can move around a bit a direct impact will be dissipated by the case.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:56 AM   #21
Tech Addict

I'm sure most of us are aware that all lipo cells are pretty much the same! What brand battery did you find all the wear on the cells? I have taken apart IP, ThunderPower and other top brands after a couple years of use and have not found any damage. I'm not saying you didn't just wondering what brand these were?
Old 02-25-2011, 08:00 AM   #22
Suspended

Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgec View Post
I'm sure most of us are aware that all lipo cells are pretty much the same! What brand battery did you find all the wear on the cells? I have taken apart IP, ThunderPower and other top brands after a couple years of use and have not found any damage. I'm not saying you didn't just wondering what brand these were?
have found wear damage on my turnigy/smc/reedy batteries thus far

ive used the foam that comes in castle creations brushless kits, trimmed them down, and lined the batterys with them, and then reglued the hardcase

all the hardcase is for is puncture resistance
1-SC8E,Baja xl-2200 ---2000Firebird <slow daily driver!
Owner/operator---Zero To 60 Performance!
FTSC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:02 AM   #23
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTSC10 View Post
have found wear damage on my turnigy/smc/reedy batteries thus far

ive used the foam that comes in castle creations brushless kits, trimmed them down, and lined the batterys with them, and then reglued the hardcase

all the hardcase is for is puncture resistance
+111
Old 02-25-2011, 08:07 AM   #24
Tech Addict

I only run TC class and I see that you run SCT where there would be allot more bouncing around. But that shouldn't matter. Have you contacted SMC with what you have found, I'm sure they would want to know.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:57 AM   #25
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

interesting. on all the 1s packs that i have taken apart, all the cells are taped to each other and then taped to the case. it is actually real hard to remove the cells from the case. most of the time, i would think that you would damage the cells when you remove them from the case. but maybe they only do this to 1s packs.

i would not run soft packs. just buy a hard case lipo. if you can't aford a hard case lipo, you prob should not race because you can't aford a new ride when the soft lipo goes up in flames.

Team Tamale | Team Tekin | RCAmerica | Speedmerchant | Speedzone RC | EA Motorsports | Ko Propo USA | eXpress Motorsports | Parma/PSE
theisgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:07 AM   #26
Tech Addict

All the top shelf packs are assembled in this manner. The only ones I have seen that were not were the cheap Hong Kong packs.
Old 02-25-2011, 02:08 PM   #27
Tech Master

Your best bet is to ask the folks in charge of the track you'll be running at. They'll make the decision whether to allow you to run your softpacks or if you can run a "homebrewed" hardcased pack.

I recommend you look into GEN ACE Packs, they are very inexpensive and they come hardcased. The guys I race with are really happy with these lipos.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/gens.html

Good Luck!!
OBR/TR Core Team Driver
TLR Team Driver
FangsCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:53 AM   #28
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

the debate about hard case verses soft packs has got to have brought out some of the most stupid comments ever on forums.
i have been to race tracks were they wont allow a person to charge a soft pack how the hell is a hard pack going to save any thing while its being charged,if any thing you wont see the flames till the case melts
i use lipo sacks for charging and storage doesn't matter if its a soft or cased pack,had a guy laugh at me at a race track his comment was " why you using a lipo sack,that's a hard case pack"
were i race (indoor short course) 95% of guys run soft pack lipos,there has never been a lipo fire.
in the last 5-6 years the only lipo fire in a car i have seen was a hard case,it was new and shorted inside,the case did not save any thing.
a lot of off road cars the battery is fairly well protected.
touring type cars are a diffrent matter and batteries can be thrown out rather easily and have very little side protection,so a hard case imo is probably a good idea in those cars, but after around 5 years of myself and a few mates running soft packs on and off road i have never seen one catch fire
ozzy-crawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 05:09 AM   #29
Tech Addict

The debate is about rules and in every type of racing "like it or not" there are rules that all must follow. Here in the US for RC racing those rules are set mostly by ROAR and most tack owners will follow those rules.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:38 AM   #30
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default Kydex or lexan

I am in a class 1/18 and 1/24 & hard packs can not be bought for most so i make my own out of .028 Kydex and .030 lexan. Thermoforming using a toaster oven or heat gun. Search ways to bend either and you will see how easyit is. As a side note.. I definitely buy good quality hard case from Team Scream, SMC, CRC ect in the sizes I can. Cheaply made hard case lipos are usually not secured inside and slide around.
lephturn is offline   Reply With Quote