R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-21-2011, 06:34 AM   #1
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default TRF417 on asphalt

Hi, need help with my TRF417 running on asphalt. The handling was bad in the corner, had too much oversteer and i lowered the dual rate on my transmitter and it didnt help. All I could do was go really reallly really slow on the corner and only accelerate after the corners on a straight. I was running on slick and sponge tyres. Any suggestion that could help? The damper and tyre setups?
Appreciate any suggestions.
vauxhall16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:12 AM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vauxhall16 View Post
Hi, need help with my TRF417 running on asphalt. The handling was bad in the corner, had too much oversteer and i lowered the dual rate on my transmitter and it didnt help. All I could do was go really reallly really slow on the corner and only accelerate after the corners on a straight. I was running on slick and sponge tyres. Any suggestion that could help? The damper and tyre setups?
Appreciate any suggestions.
are you a beginner? you seem not to know about how to set up a touring car. when you meant slick and sponge tyres, you mean rubber and sponge tyres? Rule no1, use all same tyres and inserts on all 4 corners.
take off your shocks and antiroll bars and make sure your suspension isnt binding, it should fall by its own weight. if the arms are binding, find out why.
then check your antiroll bar linkage, make sure they move the other side of the arm by a same amount, if you dont know how to tune antiroll bars, better remove them for now.
When you build your shocks, make sure the left and right has the same number of piston holes, and same oil weight, and it helps to have a much harder oil and spring on the front shocks. Also building the shocks with the same amount of pressure is critical, both must rebound at about the same time and distance.Remember Left front and right front should be the same, right rear and left rear should be the same. Make sure there are no air bubbles or pockets in the shock oil before you cap it.
Place the shocks back on the car. place all your electronics and battery too. You need to balance the cars left and right side, find out how through this forum or ask your hobby shop how to do it, you probably need to add weight on the battery to balance out the Servo,ESC, cables, and the motor. if your car is balanced, then set ride height, front around 5.5mm, rear 6mm. then adjust camber, a good starting point is negative 1 front and rear.
these checkpoints work for all cars not just the 417. All touring cars are highly complex machines with too many moving parts, and all of them needs to be working correctly for it to be able to put the power down of todays high powered BL motors and lipo batteries.
My 10 year old tech Kawada Sv-10 Alcyon 2 EX still handles very well with lots of traction and no spin outs, into and out of the corners, even punching full speed out of it, so your brand new 417 can do it too ! Just with proper setup. i suggest you read the X ray t2 ot T3 setup book, it has a wealth of knowledge in it, i sure learnt alot from it. if you want i cand send it to your email.
alcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:09 AM   #3
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcyon View Post
are you a beginner? you seem not to know about how to set up a touring car. when you meant slick and sponge tyres, you mean rubber and sponge tyres? Rule no1, use all same tyres and inserts on all 4 corners.
take off your shocks and antiroll bars and make sure your suspension isnt binding, it should fall by its own weight. if the arms are binding, find out why.
then check your antiroll bar linkage, make sure they move the other side of the arm by a same amount, if you dont know how to tune antiroll bars, better remove them for now.
When you build your shocks, make sure the left and right has the same number of piston holes, and same oil weight, and it helps to have a much harder oil and spring on the front shocks. Also building the shocks with the same amount of pressure is critical, both must rebound at about the same time and distance.Remember Left front and right front should be the same, right rear and left rear should be the same. Make sure there are no air bubbles or pockets in the shock oil before you cap it.
Place the shocks back on the car. place all your electronics and battery too. You need to balance the cars left and right side, find out how through this forum or ask your hobby shop how to do it, you probably need to add weight on the battery to balance out the Servo,ESC, cables, and the motor. if your car is balanced, then set ride height, front around 5.5mm, rear 6mm. then adjust camber, a good starting point is negative 1 front and rear.
these checkpoints work for all cars not just the 417. All touring cars are highly complex machines with too many moving parts, and all of them needs to be working correctly for it to be able to put the power down of todays high powered BL motors and lipo batteries.
My 10 year old tech Kawada Sv-10 Alcyon 2 EX still handles very well with lots of traction and no spin outs, into and out of the corners, even punching full speed out of it, so your brand new 417 can do it too ! Just with proper setup. i suggest you read the X ray t2 ot T3 setup book, it has a wealth of knowledge in it, i sure learnt alot from it. if you want i cand send it to your email.
can u send it also to me?? my email was [email protected], im also need to learn more about the setup.
Tamiya TRF-416X, Tamiya TRF-417
Hobbywing Xerun 120A, Xerun 3.5t, Team Orion 11.5t, Xerun 5.5t
RL.2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:51 AM   #4
Tech Master

XRAY setup book link: http://www.teamxray.com/teamxray/pro...391d3c9ccaae1e

*mental note - download when at own computer.
Longhair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:31 PM   #5
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcyon View Post
Thanks for the tips and advice. Yes I am new to this rc stuff. I meant I tried all rubber tyres and all sponge tyres but it didnt worked. the setup was as indicated on the manual though. Anyways, kindly email me the setup book @ [email protected]. Thanks again!
Old 02-21-2011, 09:34 PM   #6
Tech Adept

How is your rear diff?
Old 02-21-2011, 09:47 PM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Thanks for the tips and advice. Yes I am new to this rc stuff. I meant I tried all rubber tyres and all sponge tyres but it didnt worked. the setup was as indicated on the manual though. Anyways, kindly email me the setup book @ [email protected]. Thanks again!
dude, download the file at the link provided above. also try to get the left right balance, thats very important. and yes, your rear diff should be smooth and not too tight.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:48 PM   #8
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by clittle View Post
How is your rear diff?
My diff was okay, not too tight. Smooth actually.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:48 AM   #9
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
since ur new to onroad you really need to listen to what most of these people are saying to you. setup makes a huge difference in whether or not ur car performs well, especially onroad sedan. most likely ur front and rear droop is uneven and that is why ur car is won't stay planted in the turns. download that setup book then read it. it is super helpful.
platypus_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:08 AM   #10
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by platypus_s13 View Post
since ur new to onroad you really need to listen to what most of these people are saying to you. setup makes a huge difference in whether or not ur car performs well, especially onroad sedan. most likely ur front and rear droop is uneven and that is why ur car is won't stay planted in the turns. download that setup book then read it. it is super helpful.
this hobby is very complicated and time consuming to say the least. My wife isnt happy everytime i come back from the track i spend at least 2 hours cleaning up the car, diffs, more if i take a hit and bend or break something. then i would have to recheck the hinge pins, anti roll bars, shocks, tweak, tyre sidewall..yada yada, you get the picutre, if you want good and happy track time, then putting in some wrench time is a must.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:09 AM   #11
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by platypus_s13 View Post
Yeah, Thanks! guess theres a problem with my setup somewhr.
appreciate all the advice !
Old 02-23-2011, 09:36 AM   #12
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

On top of the above, also check what tires people are running on the track you go to. If your tires aren't right to begin with on asphalt, setup will not help you much.

Try to get help from other drivers on the track as well, as they can actually look at your car in person and see how it is running, which is far easier than trying to troubleshoot over the internet.
rc_square24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:50 AM   #13
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc_square24 View Post
On top of the above, also check what tires people are running on the track you go to. If your tires aren't right to begin with on asphalt, setup will not help you much.

Try to get help from other drivers on the track as well, as they can actually look at your car in person and see how it is running, which is far easier than trying to troubleshoot over the internet.
ah yes that is also a very excellent suggestion. the right tires and experienced help. i've found that most experienced rc peeps are very friendly and helpful.
platypus_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote