R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-24-2004, 08:17 AM   #46
Tech Regular

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Physics 101 =

Quote:
Originally posted by Cobra81li200
Not really, helical gears adds friction compared to straight cut gears.
You're right! I forgot - helical gears also decrease noise since the mesh doesn't happen all at once, but rather gradually. Yet another example of where a quiet drivetrain doesn't always necessarily mean an efficient drivetrain. But even helical (spiral, in the case of bevel gears) gears have pretty close to the same efficiency of straight cut gears.

In the end, I'm willing to bet both drivetrain configurations are pretty close to the same in efficiency. The primary problem with belt drives in the past was lash. Sure, the belt meshes well with the gear, but the belts themselves would stretch and absorb energy. Modern belt drive cars are much improved in this area, and therefore the difference between shaft and belt has become much more narrow.
SammyXp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 08:48 AM   #47
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to GundamWZero Send a message via Yahoo to GundamWZero Send a message via Skype™ to GundamWZero

You're right Sammy.......................

NOW, I am bores to tears!

j/k

‎"We fight not because we hate what's in front of us...
We fight to protect whats behind us."
GundamWZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 09:49 AM   #48
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Now I've tried shaft cars (TC3 then Yokomo) I can't go back, but not really for performance reasons... mostly for maintenance ones. Diffs last forever... no tension adjustments... no crud in pulleys... I love it. Only drawback, with a one-way (or worse, a spool), if you hit a board, the one-way gear will usually strip a couple of teeth... that's on the Yoke. The Tc3 didn't have that problem (the conic crown holder was in front of the crown, not behind it, so it allowed a little play. But with a diff, a shaft-driven car is dirtyplaygrounds-proof. On the performance side, on the track, the difference is nil. That's one no single design is winning everything in the world.

However, when compared to modern belt cars (Xray, 415), I always feel like I'm driving an RC pepper mill due to the noise... bah, as long as I'm in front of them

Later
Paul

The train stops at the train station. The bus stops at the bus station. In my office I have a workstation.
Lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 05:50 PM   #49
Tech Regular

i think belt is faster seen as the worlds best ''surikarn'' uses belt but i have to say hara is the betta driver
pink panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 09:19 PM   #50
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to farls3589

whoooooooooooooooooooo caaaaaaaaaaaares buy the car that u like the most cause it is not always about the speed of the car it is the driver of the car.
farls3589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 10:18 PM   #51
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default which is better???

There is no BETTER !!! . Everyone buy's what they like .. and drives what they like.. there are diffrences , as well as all things that catch the buyers eyes.. Just get what you like and I'm sure youll be happy .or get both or try both ....... Its still a toy car ...
Old 08-25-2004, 10:40 PM   #52
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Hi,

As for running a loud TC3 I seen to be lucky as mine (all 6 of them) run so smooth all you hear is the the spur/pinion noise when the are on the track..... but on the bench they sound like [email protected]#$. when shiming i try to get the the play to be equal on the heel and toe of the ring and go from there. yes it takes some time but it's worth it. as for the belt/shaft debate..... we have run belt cars untill the TC3 can out and now we are going back to a belt car for this indoor season. why... I wanted to see what differance there really is. both cars have made the A with our driver. (the TC3 has won). the XXXS wasn't suited to Mini's driving style and we have been in the top 4 places with the Xray (long arm). I am waiting for FK to show up somewhere so I can test the shourt arm car. is either one better???????? I think it all depends on your driving style. some start with a belt car and never change and the same with the shaft car. try to drive both that are well setup. and then choose.

MB Racer:

ask Ray how Mini's club car sounds...he's got it untill the end of Sept. (triyng out my nitro rack mod).

Thanks
Life is short - live it! Your only old when your dreams are replaced by regrets.
TimXLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 11:49 PM   #53
Tech Addict

I have run both belt (Mission) and shaft (TC3) in mod, the TC3 being my current weapon of choice and I prefer the shaft drive ONLY because I don't have to check the belts and pulleys after every run to make sure that no crud has gotten in there and ready to make trouble, the most maintanence I have to do on the TC3 drivetrain on a race by race basis is to check that the shaft is still there
Old 08-26-2004, 06:50 AM   #54
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by farls3589
whoooooooooooooooooooo caaaaaaaaaaaares buy the car that u like the most cause it is not always about the speed of the car it is the driver of the car.
While I agree that driving skill is far more important than worrying about a few tenths of a percent increase in efficiency, don't mock the fact that a few of us like to analyze things scientifically and quantify the differences rather than rely on subjective opinion. I personally commend anyone who is willing to dig out a physics text book and take a look at the differences objectively.

I just love the advice that so many have given out Go buy both a belt and a shaft drive and try to see if either is better. Sheesh, the reason someone would even ask which is better is because their budget is limited and they want to make sure they get it right the first time.
SammyXp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 03:52 PM   #55
Tech Initiate

Send a message via Yahoo to Losifreak

Strangely i heard some guys belt melted on hit xxx-s?
Losifreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 04:09 PM   #56
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by fathead
the shaft is still there
That check has come in handy...BELIVE ME

Was running Mod on carpet one day and I see something fly out the back on the car. Then it starts handling a little wierd so after the back I look and the fricken drive shaft is gone....Turns out it being the graphite shaft delaminated and popped out.
The Black Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 04:19 PM   #57
Tech Master

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by The Black Kat
drive shaft is gone....Turns out it being the graphite shaft delaminated and popped out.

I hardly can't understand that this graphite shaft in the TC3 will popped out?!.. co'z as you can see/examine the shaft on how it was perfectly place/lay-out on the car there is no possibility that it would popped-up?!. Just want to know did you check your car before you run it I mean checking for any loose screws/parts? Maybe you overlooked on that shaft co'z it might be loose that time you run it...
Wency_TA03R-PRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 04:27 PM   #58
Tech Master

The shaft de-laminated, in dummy terms....it broke
Old 08-26-2004, 06:13 PM   #59
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Yep shafts pop out, I've seen an SD throw a shaft. Belts, well I snapped a belt about 2 weeks ago, not a big deal everything has a lifespan.

black kat - Arms delaminate when cooked, drive shafts just break.
fatdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 06:53 PM   #60
Tech Master

It was a CF drive shaft....I've heard people say it "delaminates" It didn't "snap" in half its just extremely flexy were it "whatevered"

It just broke