R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-19-2011, 11:09 AM   #106
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
I almost forgot how much "I love the internet".
Internet is not anymore of a let down than Spec racing ....Yawn !
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 12:50 PM   #107
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

You are 100% right, but Novaktwo knows little about motors hence why he/she thinks a simple RPM limiter would work.

Silvercan has tried this with decent success, but I know for a fact now guys just buy up the motors to find the ones with extra torque that come under the race RPM limits. The big difference here, is there is about 10+ motors to choose from and unlike silvercans.........you have motors being made by RACING companies not a a generic motor company. It won't be long before companies are just making torque monsters that barely produce the maximum RPM.......better buy some BIG pinions.

A power limiter as a separate device would not be small, that extra power has to be dissipated some how. Your only way to effectively do this would be in the ESC itself......but now we are talking about making all current ESC obsolete again.....

Interesting idea with the RPM limiter.........but I am personally DONE using Novak products after 20+ years of pretty exclusive use.

Later EddieO

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
I don't see an rpm limiter changing anything unless it's coupled with a gear rule.

Say the limit is 15k (just throwing a number out there, don't know what the real limit would be). HP is a factor of rpm AND torque. If one motor makes a certain amount of torque at 15k, it will be making a certain amount of HP (watts). Now find another motor that makes more torque at 15k, it will also be making more HP. You can gear up a couple teeth, accelerate just as fast AND have more top speed, even with the limiter.

Then even with a gear rule, the strongest motor is going to accelerate up to that 15k limit faster.

I see motors frying left and right in the near future. All these more and more restrictive rules are putting more and more stress on them. Add a limiter to the mix and you will have to gear them even harder.

But then again I could be completely wrong. Either way, I'll stick to mod and nitro.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:02 PM   #108
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead

Why don't you guys just take up knitting? A lot less to bitch about, that's for sure. Though, most of you would still find something to fret over.

squarehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 01:20 PM   #109
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Awful lot of tecnology here for what should be a "stock motor". Would it be easier to contact the swiss to get clock spings all the same size so everyone really is at the same level? Wait a minute, I could heat treat mine to make it stronger. That would give me more punch out of the corners...nevermind. Sorry Eric, I'm just being silly.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:43 PM   #110
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The idea behind this motor is to use it with a zero boost/advance ESC right? I mean if you put it on a Tekin RS then isnt it just as fast as any other motor of that wind.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:56 PM   #111
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarehead View Post
Why don't you guys just take up knitting? A lot less to bitch about, that's for sure. Though, most of you would still find something to fret over.

Old 02-19-2011, 07:04 PM   #112
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopyrc View Post
The idea behind this motor is to use it with a zero boost/advance ESC right? I mean if you put it on a Tekin RS then isnt it just as fast as any other motor of that wind.
Yes, in principal.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 07:56 PM   #113
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to BigDogRacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieO View Post
You are 100% right, but Novaktwo knows little about motors hence why he/she thinks a simple RPM limiter would work.

Silvercan has tried this with decent success, but I know for a fact now guys just buy up the motors to find the ones with extra torque that come under the race RPM limits. The big difference here, is there is about 10+ motors to choose from and unlike silvercans.........you have motors being made by RACING companies not a a generic motor company. It won't be long before companies are just making torque monsters that barely produce the maximum RPM.......better buy some BIG pinions.

A power limiter as a separate device would not be small, that extra power has to be dissipated some how. Your only way to effectively do this would be in the ESC itself......but now we are talking about making all current ESC obsolete again.....

Interesting idea with the RPM limiter.........but I am personally DONE using Novak products after 20+ years of pretty exclusive use.

Later EddieO
Eddie, didn't I say basically the same thing a few posts above?
BigDogRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 08:36 PM   #114
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieO View Post

Later EddieO
The watt limiter used in RC Planes looks really small to me...Looks like it goes inline....so it wouldnt effect any current or future ESC's.

http://christian-hanke.blogspot.com/...steve-neu.html

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1002928

If someone is really into looking into this I would contact Steve Neu from Neu motors....or just sit back on the interwebs and throw mud pies at each other. My guess is the pies will be tossed.....
Im only responsible for what I say NOT what you understand.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 08:49 PM   #115
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

That's definitely interesting Kevin. Not really my thing but interesting.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 10:50 PM   #116
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Interesting thread...

When it was all going zero last year, first thing I asked was "will this mean motor of the month class?", and the best I got was people not knowing or possibly not thinking it would happen, now are we seeing that already?.

Random thoughts now, if you give people what they claim they want, do they then just still find flaws and demand more of it?, that is not a rub or anything, just putting it out there, I was not convinced zero was the way to go, and still I'm not sure, but those decisions are well above me, or any single person, so I bow to whatever ruling body decides in the end.

On a local level, we are trying to create a formula that works for electric at my local, which is mostly nitro/5th scale...

While throwing around various ideas, it's looks like 10.5T with zero timing, but the most recent idea is maybe control the fdr, and a spec motor, that was in the back of my mind for some weeks, but then I saw one of the new Hobbywing Xerun Motors in the flesh, looks solid and well made, but more important it's got fixed timing.

So did HW have a simular idea last year?, the press out of places like HW is always limited, but maybe they had a simular idea to Trinity, either way the other bonus seems to be it's a cheap motor...
www.myrcm.ch/main?pLa=en&hId[1]=org&dId[O]=4331
Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 12:58 AM   #117
Tech Lord

I know the boosted classes are a headache, but the motors sure do run cool. And you can use reasonable sized pinions. This spec stuff stresses the hell out of your gear. And really, wont it just shift the problem somewhere else. Like batteries or solid gold wires?

Can we talk about 1S mod again yet?
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 01:44 AM   #118
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
I know the boosted classes are a headache, but the motors sure do run cool. And you can use reasonable sized pinions. This spec stuff stresses the hell out of your gear. And really, wont it just shift the problem somewhere else. Like batteries or solid gold wires?
I bought in when it was all boost timing, never managed to push over 60C in setting that up, first experience this year with zero is I melt the motor first time out, gearing for power seems way weird to me...

But, at the end of the day, I know there is a whole heap of people who just can't/could not get their heads around the timing firmwares, so it kind of was driving them away, the ups and downs of gearing may have it's flaws, but I guess more people understand it.
www.myrcm.ch/main?pLa=en&hId[1]=org&dId[O]=4331
Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 04:59 PM   #119
Tech Champion

Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
Can we talk about 1S mod again yet?
Sure....then you can start to talk about new chassis designs.....new light weight drive train parts....new electronics. It will never end....pick the lesser of the two....motors/escs are cheaper and easier to restrict.
Im only responsible for what I say NOT what you understand.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 06:37 PM   #120
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Anyone remember when brushless first came out? It will level the playing field and put the emphasis back on driving and setup?

You won't have to spend so much time in the pits tuning a brushless motor like you would a brushed motor?

oh to have a better crystal ball back then...
pejota is offline   Reply With Quote