R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-18-2011, 04:47 PM   #91
Company Representative
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Our RPM limiter is micro-based; no calibration necessary, or even possible.
NovakTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 04:56 PM   #92
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Well, I was more talking about the RPM sensor you would use to test to make sure the thing is actually working.......or are you just gonna assume that its limiting it to the correct RPM?

Later EddieO
Old 02-18-2011, 05:13 PM   #93
Tech Master

Hi Eddie, good to see you online buddy. Take a deep breath, the world won't change because of the internet.

Throw stones and jabs at us all you want, I gaurantee you Bob's intentions and our decisions over the years are not nearly as "Dark hearted" as you're trying to lead folks to beleive here. Beleive me or not, truth is what it is.

If you had it your way, we'd still be racing Brushed Motors and nothing would have changed in racing "ever" right?

Change takes mistakes, mistakes take correction, racing takes "all types", can't we all just get along? Make the pie bigger, don't make the pie taste bad so no body wants it.....

Oh, and thanks for reminding everyone about the 08 snowbirds..... That wasn't the meter, it was my assumption. Not covering for Novak at all, I made a mistake. That's why I don't do Tech AnyMore.

Last edited by Charlie; 02-18-2011 at 05:34 PM.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 05:30 PM   #94
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I like pie.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:40 PM   #95
Tech Elite

Charlie I love you...

I don't think what Bob did as Darkhearted.....more like genius.

Though, I know you still wanna be the scapegoat......

The badly calibrated meter is directly from a statement Novaktwo made......which is why the initial inductance readings sent to ROAR were off...which led to the nightmare at the birds.......and you getting to be the scapegoat.

But like I said, I still love you....

And the internet can change everything! How else would you learn to cook pie in 5 min!

Later EddieO
Old 02-18-2011, 06:04 PM   #96
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to BigDogRacing

Well said Charlie!!

Eddie- no offense, I kinda understand where you're coming from... but negativity breeds negativity.

Novaktwo- IMHO, an RPM limiter only addresses half of the need for control- limiting the RPMs will just push racers to look for the motors/rotors that produce more area under the curve (torque curve).
Example- if you limited the RPM to only 5K, but I found a way to make enough power under 5K and could gear it high enough, I can still out run a 25K RPM motor. My example is a little extreme, but it helps make it more understandable.

The "max wattage" limiter isn't a bad idea, but then you introduce another outlet for expense- everyone starts buying ceramic bearings, running super thin or no oil in their bearings to decrease rolling resistance etc etc.

The Trinity spec motor isn't a bad idea either, but it simply puts Trinity back to the position they were in before- being the main motor supplier and selling more motors every time they come out with a new one. In fact, if they (he) was smart, the first line of spec motors would under perform the full capabilities they have for making them as fast as possible, leaving room for improvement for next year's "newer, faster" Monster Spec2 motor. Right back to "motor or battery of the month"... which obviously wasn't a monthly thing, but it did kinda seem that way...

I wish I knew the answer, but right now I don't have a good one...
BigDogRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 06:46 PM   #97
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

I think this is a great idea. However in my opinion there will still be motors that will be better than others therefore giving the advantage to guys that have access to many motors. So is it actually any different that what we have now? I understand that a locked can is a big step in the right direction but I guess the question is, Is there any way to make sure that everything in the can is identical in every motor? If not I personally like the ability to tune.

Last edited by WIITA; 02-19-2011 at 01:58 PM.
WIITA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 07:13 PM   #98
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 98 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to olhipster1
Default please explain

if someone can please kindly explain.
What are brushes?
I'm new to the whole racing scene.

Read down..
Keep reading.
keeep going..
keepp...downward..
answer...who the hell cares...We don't use 'em anymore..
CAUSE and EFFECT
olhipster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 07:30 PM   #99
Tech Adept

Default spec motors

ok make the new drivers prove them selves to race in stock
class or stay in the rookie drivers make them run a locked timing motor but a lock adjustable esc in spec mode quit bitchen about cheating if thats the only way to win oh well catch them dont let them race at local races and bash them there will always be something new to try that promiss more speed lets still
race boosted classed thats what the esc and motors do . spec motors will be good new drivers to figure out driving skills we dont need rookies at high level events to cause recks and take out cars
not hating new drivers we were all rookies once
to slow for you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:02 PM   #100
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by to slow for you View Post
ok make the new drivers prove them selves to race in stock
class or stay in the rookie drivers make them run a locked timing motor but a lock adjustable esc in spec mode quit bitchen about cheating if thats the only way to win oh well catch them dont let them race at local races and bash them there will always be something new to try that promiss more speed lets still
race boosted classed thats what the esc and motors do . spec motors will be good new drivers to figure out driving skills we dont need rookies at high level events to cause recks and take out cars
not hating new drivers we were all rookies once
punctuation is your friend, unless your intent is no one having any clue what you are trying to say.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:54 AM   #101
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Cherry View Post
Why makes seal motors , Rev limiters , power modules ?

Instead just call it open stock , any motor acceptable...

Then if you need a faster motor ?
You can change out the slow motor for a faster motor ....

Think of It !

Stock spec racing would finally be fair and equal ....
kinda takes the "stock" and "spec" out it doesn't it??
Old 02-19-2011, 09:08 AM   #102
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Haynes View Post
I like pie.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:14 AM   #103
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovakTwo View Post
How about an inexpensive, tamper-proof, RPM Limiter module?

If limiting the motor's RPM is the goal, there's no need for a separate no-timing motor.
Ding, ding, ding, ding!

We have a winner.

This is the cheapest, most feasible option. Brushless hand-outs? Even at $30 a pop, that would cost my club or local series thousands of dollars.
Timbulb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 09:39 AM   #104
Tech Master

I almost forgot how much "I love the internet".
Old 02-19-2011, 09:40 AM   #105
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I don't see an rpm limiter changing anything unless it's coupled with a gear rule.

Say the limit is 15k (just throwing a number out there, don't know what the real limit would be). HP is a factor of rpm AND torque. If one motor makes a certain amount of torque at 15k, it will be making a certain amount of HP (watts). Now find another motor that makes more torque at 15k, it will also be making more HP. You can gear up a couple teeth, accelerate just as fast AND have more top speed, even with the limiter.

Then even with a gear rule, the strongest motor is going to accelerate up to that 15k limit faster.

I see motors frying left and right in the near future. All these more and more restrictive rules are putting more and more stress on them. Add a limiter to the mix and you will have to gear them even harder.

But then again I could be completely wrong. Either way, I'll stick to mod and nitro.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote