R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-12-2001, 08:18 AM   #76
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally posted by Cmotif
I just went and checked out the photos of the Evo I. The main difference that I saw besides the anodizing, and the motor-plate (Which I already have something like that on my car that I had kicking around my tool box) was a front belt tensioner that goes where the attennae mount goes. I don't see anyway to mount the attennae now on the car. I'm sure that is addressed some how, but I just don't see it in the photos.

Christian Motif <><
Christian, can I suggest that you follow the link on the News page to the EVO/1 kit spec for the complete description on exactly what has been updated/changed. Some things are not immediately apparent in pictures.

modeltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2001, 08:25 AM   #77
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to MdiRacing

The UK distributor photos are misleading for us in the USA. The version II (Evo/1) does not come with blue anodizing at the moment. It's possible we may in the future but at the moment when you buy a version II chassis it comes with the aluminium clear anodizing (silver-looking). As well, the pics show a front belt tensioner. It doesn't come with that either although you can simply mount one of the rear tensioners to the front top deck. I believe that is what the UK guys did. I haven't found that I need it, but I can't imagine it hurts. I've had some skipping lately but that's because I've worn the belt quite a bit from use. I just need to replace my belts. If you mount the tensioner up front, you will need to drill a new hole for the antenna and either use what's supplied or use an aftermarket antenna/mount. I use an aftermarket version on my own car.
MdiRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2001, 08:37 AM   #78
Tech Apprentice

We are in the process of anodizing some of our own parts (orange) for an MdiRacing edition. We'll likely sell an Mdi-spec kit as a RTR with everything we race with installed. Additionally, we'll likely sell an Mdi-spec chassis kit too.
Old 11-26-2001, 12:39 AM   #79
Tech Apprentice

ttt!
Old 11-26-2001, 11:32 AM   #80

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Cmotif

I have a question about Niftech blades for dogbones. Does anyone know if they are right for the 7even? 3/32 was the size that I saw.

Cmotif <><
International Racing Team Member #18
IRT Established: 1999

Everything About You -- Sanctus Real

www.dontblamejesus.com
Cmotif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2001, 01:12 PM   #81
Tech Regular

From my understanding on the Niftech outdrive savers is that you sellect the size of the pin that your bone uses. When you get the kit you have to remove the existing pin from the bone, then you place a smaller pin and an insert into the bone. The actual oval shaped pivots that have more surface area than the normal pin will wind up being the same thickness as the original pin allowing them to fit in your outdrives with no modifications to the outdrives. In other words you shouldn't have to widen the outdrive slots to get them to fit as long as you get the right size. I have never used them, but have also been curious to see how well they work, they are expensive though! I think the removal of the existing pin would be the hardest part about the install. It would seem it would be a real B*** to remove them. Niftech also makes a pin removal device seperate from the kit, that would probably help out alot. Niftech does make good products though, I have purchased a few things from them and was very satisfied, they are just a bit pricey though!
WailinOnYa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2001, 01:16 PM   #82
Tech Regular

Measure the pin with a caliper, I haven't checked mine, but I would think the pin might be metric in size. If it is close enough to one of the sizes listed within a few thousandths or so it should still work. I will have to check the pin size with my Calipers!
Old 11-26-2001, 10:48 PM   #83
Tech Apprentice

The correct blade to use is the X-Ray blade. They come in a 4-pack conveniently enough, for only $2.50. It snaps in place perfectly since the X-Ray dogbone pin is the same size as the 7even pin. However, you must create a very thin bushing to slip onto the pin first to keep the blade from sliding back and forth. I use an old antenna tube (plastic, hollow) and simply slice off 8 thin pieces to put on my own dogbone pins and then snap on the X-Ray blades.

The X-Ray part number is 305240

I have many of them on back order at the moment. If you can find a shop w/them in stock...get some and some spares. Eventually, we will have more...I think we cleaned out Serpent USA all on our own with all the ones we ordered!
Old 11-26-2001, 11:49 PM   #84
Tech Regular

MdiRacing:
The Niftech system is a bit different in design but achieves the same outcome! I must admit though that $2.50 is far cheaper than $19, the outdrive slots don't need to be widened with the Niftech system though. It would seem the plastic savers would be better in the long run though keeping wear on the outdrives to an absolute minimum.
Old 11-27-2001, 12:04 AM   #85
Tech Apprentice

Not widening the diff slots would be awesome. It takes me about 10 minutes to do both diffs with a dremel wheel (and safety glasses).

The important thing here is that it seems there are at least 2 good ways to extend the life of your outdrive cups!

That's great news. Even better news is that I know RC Lab is working on their own blades. Hopefully we'll have them soon-ish.

Old 11-27-2001, 12:36 AM   #86
Tech Regular

It looks like there is only one kit after all, just for 3/32 outdrive slots. I got the different size pin removal kits confused with the saver kit. The pins on the 7even measure around 5/64 and the slots in the outdrives are just under 3/32. So it looks like you would still need to widen the slots a bit! If you ran the car stock for a short while, after they broke in they would probably be wide enough to use the system or only need light sanding to fit. The Niftech pivots are made of metal though so I would imagine the XRays plastic sliders would still have the advantage in the wear department. I am not sure if the pins in the TC3 bones are slightly larger than the 7evens though, but I have a feeling they are, if so the kit would probably be useless because of the insert size. My nephew has a TC3, I'll have to check the pin size on my calipers when I get the chance just to know for sure.
Old 11-27-2001, 02:09 AM   #87
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by MdiRacing
That's great news. Even better news is that I know RC Lab is working on their own blades. Hopefully we'll have them soon-ish.

We will receive the prototype blades next week. If they pass our road test and durability test, we will release them to the public very, very soon.

In the mean time, the X-ray blade is an excellent alternative.
RC Lab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2001, 02:53 AM   #88
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hi Guys,

Just want to let you RCLab 7even owners know we also stock a full line of RCLab 7even parts and hop-ups, and also the new Version II RCLab 7even, all available through our website. The 7even has been our best electric car seller for the past several months (selling better than Yokomo, and Associated).

RCLab = Peter? Peter, after last Sunday maybe it is time for me to race my RCLab again? hehehehe

Thanks guys

Steve Wang
Speed Tech R/C
www.speedtechrc.com
SpeedTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2001, 03:20 AM   #89
Tech Rookie

I would do better if I used a P2K instead of MVP. I guess I was the only one who used MVP in the main.
RC Lab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2001, 12:26 PM   #90
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Any seven guys planning on racing at the Novak US touring car championships at Trackside in Milwaukee? I will bring mine along to try it out but it would be nice to have few more there to share setups with.
ottoman is offline   Reply With Quote