Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
non timing non boosted class motor and esc?? >

non timing non boosted class motor and esc??

non timing non boosted class motor and esc??

Old 02-14-2011, 06:32 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default non timing non boosted class motor and esc??

what should i be looking for in a good motor and esc if i wanna run non timing non boosted class 21.5 or 17.5?

Last edited by looklikeaflip; 02-14-2011 at 06:53 PM.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:53 PM
Tech Elite

I don't have a particular favorite. I Just dropped in a Thunderpower 17.5 Z3R today. I've also ran a Trinity Duo 2, Tekin Redline and a Novak SS. The Trinity Duo 2 is probably one of the better motors I've ran. But this changes year to year. Brushless motors are now comming out where they're fully rebuildable.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

citrix 17.5 combo
Old 02-14-2011, 07:39 PM
Tech Adept

over the novak ballistic and ss series?

how bout the Team Epic Duo 2 Spec?
Old 02-14-2011, 08:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by looklikeaflip
what should i be looking for in a good motor and esc if i wanna run non timing non boosted class 21.5 or 17.5?
What kind of vehicle will you be running and/or class?? Sometimes the vehicle size determines what speedo you need to purchase.
idbdoug
Old 02-14-2011, 08:15 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by looklikeaflip
Speedo will not matter as they are all the same when in the spec profile. Get what ever your local hobby shop sells, you can get support from or what fits your car/budget/preference. They are all good as long as they have a spec timing profile.

For motor I have found the Duo 3 to be fastest in Spec class racing thus far. The Thunder power motor is still new but is pretty good as well especially in Oval.

EA
Old 02-14-2011, 08:18 PM
Tech Adept

running stock class. tamiya trf 415

keep the info coming!!!
Old 02-14-2011, 08:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

My son and I have settled on the Orion black can v2 17.5 with timing adjust, which is legal for stock class, in our 1/10 stock 2wd buggies, we are using a Novak GTB and Havoc. I've tried Speed Passions and Tekin and the Orions are better. A buddy of mine who sold me one of my Orions is using Novak with a Tekin RS ESC and there working great for him. My 2 cents.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

we run a non timed 21.5 class and i use a tekin motor and speedy and it is pretty good
Old 02-15-2011, 05:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
Speedo will not matter as they are all the same when in the spec profile.
That's true, as far as it goes. At the end of the day, there is a major difference in the way that the brakes feel between the different products. Also, there is something very different in the way that they each manage power. I don't know if it's drive frequency, or pulse width, or what, but there's something there.

I used to run novak, and have run the speedpassion, and then switched over to the Tekin. I held out FOREVER against the flow, in spite of the fact that my car just was never as fast as anyone elses, and I was pushing max temps. MANY people have followed my path, too, only to end up giving in to the Tekin.

Why? Because, like everyone else, I found that the Tekin ran a tekin redline, X12, SpeedPassion, and Duo2 motor cooler by a significant degree for a given FDR than the novak or SP ESC. End result....because the Tekin runs the motors cooler and more effeciently, you can gear up significantly, thus going faster.

Example, my GTB ran my X12 17.5 at over 180F, and the brakes sucked. Changing nothing but swapping a Tekin RS in place of the GTB, the motor (at the same FDR) ran in the low 130F and the brakes were stronger and more predictible.

So, I'll agree that at a given FDR, they're all going to make about the same SPEED, but at different temps. So, unless you're limited in the given class to a max FDR, you're going to go faster with any ESC that runs you're stuff cooler because you can gear faster!

Don't believe it? I didn't, either. Then I tried it.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Buckaroo
That's true, as far as it goes. At the end of the day, there is a major difference in the way that the brakes feel between the different products. Also, there is something very different in the way that they each manage power. I don't know if it's drive frequency, or pulse width, or what, but there's something there.

I used to run novak, and have run the speedpassion, and then switched over to the Tekin. I held out FOREVER against the flow, in spite of the fact that my car just was never as fast as anyone elses, and I was pushing max temps. MANY people have followed my path, too, only to end up giving in to the Tekin.

Why? Because, like everyone else, I found that the Tekin ran a tekin redline, X12, SpeedPassion, and Duo2 motor cooler by a significant degree for a given FDR than the novak or SP ESC. End result....because the Tekin runs the motors cooler and more effeciently, you can gear up significantly, thus going faster.

Example, my GTB ran my X12 17.5 at over 180F, and the brakes sucked. Changing nothing but swapping a Tekin RS in place of the GTB, the motor (at the same FDR) ran in the low 130F and the brakes were stronger and more predictible.

So, I'll agree that at a given FDR, they're all going to make about the same SPEED, but at different temps. So, unless you're limited in the given class to a max FDR, you're going to go faster with any ESC that runs you're stuff cooler because you can gear faster!

Don't believe it? I didn't, either. Then I tried it.
Everything you say is true, EXCEPT, till the next version of software comes out, then it starts all over again. I run K2S and temps or performance or brakes are not a issue with 1.42 firmware. Its always changing, and continued updates to make all thing better or equal are on a continues basis.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:05 PM
Tech Adept

Hm, very interesting... Trying to learn as much as I can about electronics before I buy them.

Do you guys know if the Duo 2 is better than the Duo 3? And are they better than the Tekin RS?

Also, does the ESC effect motor temp as well? or is it judged based solely on its features and programmability?

MORE INFO PLEASE!!!