R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-15-2011, 01:47 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default A little help please

Well, I've been driving my losi strike in a club with a cement track and no jumps, which is kind of pointless having an offroad vehicle for that type of track, so I decided to move to onroad racing. My first question, is what are good brands for onroad racing. Can I use my lipo that I used for my strike to power an onroad car? The scale we race in the club is 1/10.
Paldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 02:01 AM   #2
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paldude View Post
Well, I've been driving my losi strike in a club with a cement track and no jumps, which is kind of pointless having an offroad vehicle for that type of track, so I decided to move to onroad racing. My first question, is what are good brands for onroad racing. Can I use my lipo that I used for my strike to power an onroad car? The scale we race in the club is 1/10.
Yes, the lipo on your losi strike can be used for onroad.
But for onroad you might need more than one lipo.
On the brands, it depends on your budget, if your budget is abit low, go for a TC3 or xray T2***, but if you have the money to get into club racing/competitive, you go go up to 500$ for a TRF 417 or HB TCX .
cyclone speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 02:12 AM   #3
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone speed View Post
Yes, the lipo on your losi strike can be used for onroad.
But for onroad you might need more than one lipo.
On the brands, it depends on your budget, if your budget is abit low, go for a TC3 or xray T2***, but if you have the money to get into club racing/competitive, you go go up to 500$ for a TRF 417 or HB TCX .
What do you exactly mean by I will need more than one lipo for onroad. I have 2 7.4v losi lipos. Are there much difference between the RTRs and the kits as there is in offroad?
Old 02-15-2011, 02:27 AM   #4
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
What do you exactly mean by I will need more than one lipo for onroad. I have 2 7.4v losi lipos. Are there much difference between the RTRs and the kits as there is in offroad?
Two 7.4V LiPos should be plenty.

Remember that driving is far more important than the car. Although the RTR's aren't usually based on the latest chassis, and may not be well suited to the most powerful motors, if you get one that takes standard size wheels and bodies with good parts support there is no reason why you can't learn to drive on-road with one.

Although since you already have electrics on your strike you might prefer to buy a kit and swap the electrics over.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:45 AM   #5
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitrc View Post
Two 7.4V LiPos should be plenty.

Remember that driving is far more important than the car. Although the RTR's aren't usually based on the latest chassis, and may not be well suited to the most powerful motors, if you get one that takes standard size wheels and bodies with good parts support there is no reason why you can't learn to drive on-road with one.

Although since you already have electrics on your strike you might prefer to buy a kit and swap the electrics over.
Thats actually a good idea, I didnt think about changing the electrics from my strike to the other car. But what about the engine? What size does it use. I have two engines that I used on my strike but I'm not sure if they would fit on an onroad car. Actually, with the strike I learned that the car actually does matter a bit, but im not so sure about on road cars.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:09 AM   #6
Tech Apprentice

Touring cars use a 540 sized motor, it seems the strike comes with a 550 size which is a shade larger. You'll probably need to buy a new one.

The details of motor classes depend on your track.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:17 AM   #7
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Touring cars use a 540 sized motor, it seems the strike comes with a 550 size which is a shade larger. You'll probably need to buy a new one.

The details of motor classes depend on your track.
Yes, the strike uses a 550 motor. Well, I'll ask the "boss" to see what the stock motor for stock racing is to make it more of a driving race not on an engine race. What do you think about thunder tiger? My lhs has this brand for onroad vehicles. Are all servos and electronics shaped and sized the same way?
Old 02-15-2011, 03:29 AM   #8
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Yes, the strike uses a 550 motor. Well, I'll ask the "boss" to see what the stock motor for stock racing is to make it more of a driving race not on an engine race. What do you think about thunder tiger? My lhs has this brand for onroad vehicles. Are all servos and electronics shaped and sized the same way?
Thunder Tiger RTRs are a good start in the hobby, but I wouldn't choose one for racing long-term.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:40 AM   #9
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Thunder Tiger RTRs are a good start in the hobby, but I wouldn't choose one for racing long-term.
What would a good brand be for long term? I'm not looking for the top and most expensive brand, I have seen many not so famous brands, such as ofna, race pretty well in off road. I'm looking for a reliable car that I can upgrade some parts to make it better.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:35 AM   #10
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
What would a good brand be for long term? I'm not looking for the top and most expensive brand, I have seen many not so famous brands, such as ofna, race pretty well in off road. I'm looking for a reliable car that I can upgrade some parts to make it better.
If you look at the popular threads on this board you will get a good idea of the brands and cars that people use. You will also get good advice at the track.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:37 AM   #11
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
If you look at the popular threads on this board you will get a good idea of the brands and cars that people use. You will also get good advice at the track.
thanks for your help, really appreciated. I hope this is as fun as racing offroad.