Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Just bought a TT-01e now what?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 10:04 PM
Tech Rookie

Smile Just bought a TT-01e now what?

I just bought a Tamiya TT-01e off ebay because i got a good deal, more like impulse buying i guess. But i've wanted one ever since i almost bought a TL-01 years ago. So it's supposed to arrive tommorrow afternoon. But i've heard the stock parts aren't the greatest, so what can i do without spending alot of money to increase performance and maneuverability. The car will just be used in my backyard and my garage, i have a massive garage btw, i live in a unit so its two levels and holds about 20 cars, so maybe a little drifting would be nice as well, also i have grass and a little dirt in my backyard so maybe if it's able to handle that. that would be good.

Is there such thing as an all rounder? coz that's what i want although really speed is more important to me. like to get it to drift can't i simply change the tires?

BTW im in Australia so if you know of any places and look for cheap parts that would be good. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:55 AM
Tech Master

Genrally, on-road car are no good off-road. There are exceptions like the long-arm tamiya cars they made for rally, but there is not a lot of them around. Off-road cars can do on-road better.
For what you have, just drive it without spending too much money. If you want performance, get another chassis. It may sound harsh, but i've seen many people spend a fortune on a chassis that cannot perform above a certain level no matter how much money you spend.
For drifting, get some hard springs. Tamiya do a set that is made for the TT01.
Get some drift wheelsm there are plenty out there. Or, do what I used to do and wrap the tires in insulation tape, works mint!
You can get a bitt better motor. A tamiya blakc-can is dirt cheap and offers performance gains without having to get a new esc.
Make sure it has ball-0bearings, not plastoic bushings.
Other than that, just get it out there and rark-it-up
Old 02-13-2011, 03:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Don't bother spending money on the TT01. If you're only playing in the garage, then leave it as is. If you want a bit of dirt, then maybe you should have looked at the rally type cars such as the Tamiya DF03

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...a-df-03ra.html

or see what the rest of the rally guys do with their TT01's

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...r-c-rally.html

Other than that, just have fun. If you end up racing or want much more speed then you'll need another chassis so don't spend too much on this. (Been there, done that )
Old 02-13-2011, 03:52 AM
Tech Rookie

thanks guys for the quick reply, but umm to be honest i got no idea what ball bearings are, i honestly want to learn a bit more about these coz every other thread i read about the tt01 people say upgrade ball bearings or something along those lines. Also i was just going to buy a new shell and then some new tires and rims, and maybe new motor and alloy shaft if need be.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:41 AM
Tech Adept

Hi, I got a TT01E with almost every upgrade possible and I can tell you it isn't worth it. The only two upgrades that can make a real difference are the ball bearing kit and the aluminium drive shaft. The rest is a waste of time. If you want to adjust camber and toe in then go for the adjustable turnbuckles and the adjustable upper arm set.
I also ordered the set of racing springs from tamiya only to find out that the hardest spring they got is actually softer than the stock chrome springs.
just enjoy the car as it. Be careful with more powerful motors. I went with a 13300kv sensored and it makes the car torque steer. Absolutely pointless upgrade and just adds novelty value. Even at 20% power it is almost impossible to drive it.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:50 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Bearings are nice. After that I only upgrade as parts break. No sense replacing perfectly working parts.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:52 AM
Tech Master

To answer your question "what bearings are" - just go to Tower Hobbies or Google and search for Tamiya 54025. That is the part number for the bearing kit you need (different kits have different bearing requirements).
Old 02-13-2011, 01:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sim08u
thanks guys for the quick reply, but umm to be honest i got no idea what ball bearings are, i honestly want to learn a bit more about these coz every other thread i read about the tt01 people say upgrade ball bearings or something along those lines. Also i was just going to buy a new shell and then some new tires and rims, and maybe new motor and alloy shaft if need be.
This forum and Google will be your friend. Read heaps and search heaps.

Remember "needs" and "wants" are two completely different things. With a TT01, you don't "need" anything - it's a waste of money for no performance. But if you "want" it, then go for it. This is a hobby for each to do as they want. If you have the cash to blow, go for it and have fun!
Old 02-13-2011, 06:51 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

sell the tt01 and buy a TA05
Old 02-13-2011, 07:24 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by daign
sell the tt01 and buy a TA05
I just bought it lol, i thought it was good lol. Umm i got it just now actually, and I found out, the bloke didn't include a battery, so what sort of battery should i get, i only wanted to spend like 20 or 30 buks just to start with, can i get a LiPo for that much or should i just settle with a standard nimh battery? thanks.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:49 AM
Tech Rookie

hi guys, thanks again i just borrowed my cousins 700mah nicd battery for my car and it went fine until i realised when not touching the throttle the car would keep moving slowly, then i read the manual and another forum and apparently its because of high speed cornering it makes it easier to turn, and you have to double tap the throttle backwards to reverse, which works but isn't really ideal, anyways reason i am posting again is because when i dont touch the reciever the esc (i think) makes a small beeping sound whilst moving/rolling forward, is this normal? thanks again.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:14 PM
Tech Rookie

anyone wanna help??
Old 02-16-2011, 05:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

either your ESC isn't calibrated to your radio properly or your radio's throttle trim is not set correctly.

How to fix this depends on what ESC you have and also which radio, but you should start by setting your throttle trim on the radio to dead center and then recalibrate the ESC. Usually this is done by holding down a button on the ESC until it beeps then hold full throttle and wait for the beeps, then full brake and wait for the beeps then let go of the trigger and wait for the ESC to re-initialize, but not all ESCs have the same calibration procedure
Old 02-17-2011, 05:35 AM
Tech Rookie

ok another dumb question, it keeps veering to the right i thought i fixed it by touching this thing on the remote it sort of centred the wheels but it still veers to the right. any ideas?
Old 02-17-2011, 12:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sim08u
ok another dumb question, it keeps veering to the right i thought i fixed it by touching this thing on the remote it sort of centred the wheels but it still veers to the right. any ideas?
That adjustment you found on the radio is the "steering trim" which is the first thing to adjust when dealing with a wandering car. But there's many more things you can adjust as well, although diagnosing over the internet is not ideal. Is there a hobby shop, track, or club near you? Even if it's oval, dirt, or a flying field, most hobbyists will be happy to help a newbie. Swing by them and you'll learn a ton in a short period of time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.