R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-08-2011, 06:39 PM   #31
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr lee View Post
That stuttering is a sign of the battery going flat!

Also 700Mah is not going to get you much run time. Depending on the type of racing you are doing you really don't want to do more than 10 minutes otherwise you will overheat the motor....unless you run a fan on the heatsink then it should be fine!
Thanks Mr. Lee, found out that the charger I bought was defective, got it replaced and voila, been running ever since.
Terabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 06:58 PM   #32
Tech Rookie

hey guys i just bought a 7.2v 4600mah battery pack, however i wouldnt have a clue how long to charge it for, the current charger i have with a tamiya plug has an output of 12v and 200mah i remember searching for this before on google and i found a website that does all the calculations for you all you need to do is put in the values, but i cant find it now. so does anyone have any advice for me? or a website? thanks much appreciated.
sim08u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 07:03 PM   #33
Tech Rookie

ok i just found a website : http://convert-to.com/491/recharging...batteries.html and it says charge for 27.6 hours??? does that sound right?
then i used this website: http://www.csgnetwork.com/batterychgcalc.html
i got the same answer but with a 20% effieciency loss, so i guess that basically means that i lose 20% of the charge straight away and it also wit no efficiency loss its 23 hours. does that sound right?
thanks guys.
Old 05-21-2011, 05:31 AM   #34
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

So to help you out with a few thngs...

I'm guessing your using the standard radio it will be the older type that is easily interfered with. The stutter your getting at the end of your run, is being caused by your battery running low, and not giving enough power to the receiver, this means it picks up all kinds of interference and goes a bit nuts. I used to get it happen with my TF-5 with the stock radio and nimh batteries.

For the battery size, depending on the motor, a 3300mah battery with something like a 20 turn(less turns the more powerful in simple terms), will get about 5mins of good speed, then will be noticeably slower.

Charge time will be reallllllly long on a 240v charger. Pick up one that charges off 12v, will do a 3300mah in about 50mins. The reason is as you've said, your charger is only providing 200ma, thats not much, to charge a battery normally, you'd do it at 1c. So for a 3300, that's 3.3a not the 0.2a of yours.

It's sorta been answered, but a little more info for the whining noise your motor makes and the moving forward, it's just throttle trim. You just turn the th trim dial on the radio till you get no noise. If you turn it one way, it'll move forward, turn it the other it will move backward. Set it about in the middle of that so it's not making the sound and your sweet. You'll most likely need to adjust the steering trim every time you change wheels, and mostly every time you get it out unless you upgrade your radio to one that does it digitally.

Should be plenty of places to race in syd, check out the australian racing section of this forum for more info, I know there's an indoor track at castle hill.
Old 05-21-2011, 07:07 PM   #35
Tech Rookie

thanks man, appreciate it atm i dont really have enough money to buy a new charger, so im gonna stick with this one. so do u rekon 23 hours to charge my battery is normal then? with 100% efficiency?
Old 05-21-2011, 07:12 PM   #36
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Yep, sounds about right. The bigger the battery the longer it'll take to charge.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:43 AM   #37
Tech Rookie

ok its finally charged lol im gonna give it a go and let you know how it goes.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:52 AM   #38
Tech Rookie

ok battery works wonderfully however the car still tends to drift or lean to the right, i tried adjusting the steering trim on the remote and its set all the way to the left :S is there something else i need to touch on the car?? thanks.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:33 PM   #39
Tech Apprentice

from the sounds of it what your experiencing is "torque steer". This is the rotational mass of your drive shaft spinning and theres not much else you can do to help the matter. one of the more knowledgable folks on here may have a suggestion how to cancel it out. Ive got a 5.5 bl system in my tb03 (another shaftie) and that will drift out of any corner wether i want it to or not!
Jammin23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 01:55 AM   #40
Tech Rookie

lol drift ay? sounds not to bad hahaha umm so what should i do then, should i attempt to return it?
Old 05-28-2011, 03:39 AM   #41
Tech Apprentice

what do you mean return it?. Do you mean send it back?
Jammin23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 10:22 PM   #42
Tech Rookie

yep, back to the company the warranty falls under.