Thoughts about rumores of a Losi XXX-S II

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2004, 03:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

so wait a month or so. or at least until theres official info on a new car
Old 08-22-2004, 04:13 PM
Tech Regular

I don't know, I think if theres a new car it wont be until next year at the earliest
Old 08-22-2004, 04:49 PM
Tech Regular

Default Re: Re: I wish I had the brain power to be...

Originally posted by moonman
But the engineers haven't managed to design a car that is any faster than the the TC3, a 5 year old design. That really says something about the rc car industry.

I think they need a shake up to come up with something that is faster than the TC3. If they can't design a TC3 beater they must be doing something wrong. Just my opinion
Remember, engineering isn't always about designing the 'ideal', or in this case, fastest product. More often then not, it's about designing the product with the greatest profit margin.

In the case of both Losi and Associated, they both have good solid cars that are more than capable. Also, both utilize a molded tub chassis as well as several other molded components (diff cases, shock towers, etc.) To replace these molds would be from $20K to $60K per tool. Why take on that additional cost when your product is still fast and still selling well?
Old 08-23-2004, 02:22 AM
Tech Addict

Default Re: Re: Re: I wish I had the brain power to be...

Originally posted by Griffin
Why take on that additional cost when your product is still fast and still selling well?
Cars have certain "weak spots" like the arms on TC3, if you don't buy aftermarket bumpers and side nerfs you're taking big chances on not finishing your race.
Old 08-23-2004, 03:08 AM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by adyb
Saw a picture of Dave Spashetts car from the last National here Don't think I have ever seen him with tinted/blacked out windows before. But sure if he was running something different things would be out by now!!
I saw his car at the latest nat in Stafford, and it was just the same car as usual, and as far as I remember, his bodyshell hasn't really changed this year.
Old 08-23-2004, 05:42 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Griffin - You will see that most of the new cars coming out will be carbon plate not molded. When you mold a chassis you are trapped by the design until the molds are paid for. With carbon plate its easier to make adjustments/improvements as they are discovered. This can be incorporated into yearly model updates.

About sales of the TC3/XXXS...I wont say they are hurting but they arent what they were a few years ago. There are a lot of very good cars that are taking a chunk of the market (Xray, Pro 4, Mi2, 415/Evo 4, etc).
Old 08-23-2004, 09:16 AM
MSB
Tech Adept

Talking covering proto

At the last Euros I catch Spashett hiding the chassis.....
Attached Thumbnails Thoughts about rumores of a Losi XXX-S II-spashlosi.jpg  
Old 08-23-2004, 09:35 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

It looks like he used some duct tape to seal up the bottom of the chassis on the electroics side, so keep the water out.
Old 08-23-2004, 11:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

nothing really ground breaking there. same injected chassis.. maybe a new cut pattern again!. weeeeee
Old 08-23-2004, 12:14 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by AdrianM
Griffin - You will see that most of the new cars coming out will be carbon plate not molded. When you mold a chassis you are trapped by the design until the molds are paid for. With carbon plate its easier to make adjustments/improvements as they are discovered. This can be incorporated into yearly model updates.
Adrian: This is exactly what I'm saying - why would you take on the additional cost of new molds, which are cost prohibitive and an additional financial risk, when you can still get good value out of old molds? This is a big part of the reason companies will come out with the 'Plastic' version first. By doing so, they double the number of molded chassis they sell and recoup the cost of the tool. Same with arms, towers, and all molded parts.

It's also important to note the fact that while we, as racers, are very into the latest and greatest technological advances, the bulk of the RC industry is not. The bulk of RC sales come from the RTR market which is a large part of the reason you've seen the monster truck sector blow up over the last few years.

Would a new car boost sales for Losi or Associated? Most definately, but the question that they're concerned with as companies is where the projected break even point is and how it corresponds with their current balance sheet, fiscal needs, and 3 year road map.

Edit: Also important to note is that molds are NOT set in stone once they're released. It's a bit of a pain to make large changes, but adding features, in a chassis for example, only requires material removal from the tool. Not fun but not that big a deal.
Old 08-23-2004, 01:59 PM
Tech Elite

Default .

good things come to all who wait!!!!!!!
Old 08-23-2004, 03:11 PM
Tech Regular

IMPO, i think that losi wouldn't have brought the black belt kit out if they were ditching the xxx-s for a new car. Yes, im sure they are testing things and such, but i would bet that it wont be for a while, its not like they bring these things out overnight. I think the tc3's sales have dropped much more than the losi. What really interests me is the new trinity product
Old 08-23-2004, 04:13 PM
Tech Master

Default Re: covering proto

Originally posted by MSB
At the last Euros I catch Spashett hiding the chassis.....
That doesn't make sense because it looks like a normal XXX-S and if they are releasing a new part wouldn't they want to show it off to build anticipation
Old 08-23-2004, 04:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Man some people are taking this wayyyyyyyyyy to far lol
Old 08-23-2004, 04:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Makes for interesting reading, though...

Rob

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.