R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-18-2004, 10:20 AM   #1
Tech Regular

Default Four scales for checking tweak

I have seen guys using 4 small scales to setup their cars tweak. I used one last week that a guy had made himself. He had mounted all four scales on a sheet of plexiglass with adjustable legs to make sure it is level. I bought 4 small scales on Ebay but I was wondering if it is really required to have them perfectly level. I can see why it would be important for them to all be the same hieght but i was wondering if I could just set them on my pit board on my pit table and not worry about the overall level.

Anyone used these before or know the physics of the situation?
Old 08-18-2004, 10:47 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default Re: Four scales for checking tweak

Quote:
Originally posted by Qwiglee
I have seen guys using 4 small scales to setup their cars tweak. I used one last week that a guy had made himself. He had mounted all four scales on a sheet of plexiglass with adjustable legs to make sure it is level. I bought 4 small scales on Ebay but I was wondering if it is really required to have them perfectly level. I can see why it would be important for them to all be the same hieght but i was wondering if I could just set them on my pit board on my pit table and not worry about the overall level.

Anyone used these before or know the physics of the situation?
i've been using this method for quite awhile and would suggest that you do want them level. if they are not level you will not have the accuracy that you are trying to achieve.
rocketron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 11:30 AM   #3
Tech Elite

I thought about going this route, but finding the scales was my issue. Couldn't find something that was cost effective.
Neil Rabara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 11:32 AM   #4
Tech Regular

I found the scales on Ebay for about $14 each. Havent received them yet so I dont know if they will work.
Old 08-18-2004, 12:03 PM   #5
Regional Moderator

Send a message via AIM to UnderDaHill

For touring cars the weight minimum is 1525grams so you need about 500gram capacity scales per corner.

I have 4 USX-500 scales and they work great.

PM me if you are interested in getting a set of 4. I have a contact at the USDistributor of these scales and I can order them in small quantities.

I'm pretty sure I can beat the ebay price for these scales.
UnderDaHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 12:05 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Qwiglee
I found the scales on Ebay for about $14 each. Havent received them yet so I dont know if they will work.
my guess is that these are not accurate enough - based on the price you mentioned. you need gram resolution and tenths of grams best. these scales typically run from 70 and up even off ebay
rocketron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 12:19 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by rocketron
my guess is that these are not accurate enough - based on the price you mentioned. you need gram resolution and tenths of grams best. these scales typically run from 70 and up even off ebay
They are guaranteed accurate to within 1-2 grams. Why would I need tenths of grams?
Old 08-18-2004, 12:42 PM   #8
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Any of these cheaper gram scales work fine. I suggest getting 4 of the same brand/style scales.
ottoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 03:55 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by rocketron
You multiply that times four, and you get a smaller wallet size.
Neil Rabara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 04:25 PM   #10
Tech Addict

Wouldn't the Integy scale system achieve the same effects?

I see them from the $60 [used] to $80 range [new].

Tom G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 04:35 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

you can get the irs version for less then $100 from time to time. The integy system that they sell now actually only has on digital scal that you rotate. I would think that you would have to worry about keeping the system leveled as you move the scale around. with the 4 scale system, you would have to try and get all 4 scales to calibrate. but calibration I would think are more acurate then rotating on scale to all 4 corners.

Team Tamale | Team Tekin | RCAmerica | Speedmerchant | Speedzone RC | EA Motorsports | Ko Propo USA | eXpress Motorsports | Parma/PSE
theisgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 04:48 PM   #12
Tech Addict

I think you are correct, on both accounts. Just thought that the Integy system had more than a single scale.

Teaches me to leap beofre learning to walk, huh?

^5
Tom G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 08:30 PM   #13
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

I bought mine at Staples 2 weeks ago and love them they were 32$ per but well worth it. with the tweak board the car was good now im able to tweak and play with front to rear % where tweak board doesnt show that I set my touring car at 12.4 ozs per wheel and love it. But thats just me everybody has there style but antway it is nice to see the actual wheel weights to see whats going on.

Team Associated-Express Motorsports-Trinity-Reflex Racing-A Main Hobbies-ProtekRC
John Tag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 08:17 AM   #14
mxs
Tech Adept

Default scale

Can you guys give a rough idea how you proceed when setting your car up with the scale systems? Like which corner you start first, what shock do you adjust and why/

I have something like the Integy system and I am wondering whether my procedure is correct.

Thanks
mxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 10:51 AM   #15
Regional Moderator

Send a message via AIM to UnderDaHill

The scales I mentioned are VERY accurate. They measure to 1/10th of a gram.

I measure my car using all four then turned the car around 180 and measured it again and came up with the same numbers for all corners withing a couple of grams.

The integy system works ok but it doesn't take into account tires that may be slightly off. You use it with the tires removed which doesn't alway accurately reflect to the true pressure at each corner with the tires on.

I do like these scales. I got all 4 for under $70. The best I could do from an ebay seller was 85.25 after you count in their outrageous shipping costs.

Anyways... PM me if you are interested in getting four of these scales.

Last edited by UnderDaHill; 08-19-2004 at 02:14 PM.
UnderDaHill is offline   Reply With Quote