R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-08-2011, 07:25 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default Better traction xpatters vs vta rubber

which one has more traction, the hpi x patterns or the vta rubber???
DuckStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:55 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Which compound x-pattern? More interesting........why is it important ? the truth is it's an apples to oranges comparison. Different design tire completely even though the D compound rubber is used between them ( 4790 x-patterns at least). Different tread design, sidewall, etc.
The answer ??.......there isn't one. They're 2 totally different tires to do a comparison.
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:43 PM   #3
Tech Addict

I'd say the 4495 xpatterns vs the vta rubber. I know the tread design is diff., but the foot print of the vta is bigger, correct???
Old 02-09-2011, 03:19 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckStang View Post
I'd say the 4495 xpatterns vs the vta rubber. I know the tread design is diff., but the foot print of the vta is bigger, correct???
The rear tires are.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:13 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckStang View Post
Really not a reasonable comparison. 4495 is a belted radial compared to the D compound vta tire. Footprint ?? Not quite sure but it's likely the VTA tire has a slightly wider contact patch. But again....thats only part of the equation. The 4495 is belted....it's designed and formed differently. You're looking for a comparison that wouldn't be rational. Keep this in mind....depending on setup and driver, I've seen the D compound x-patterns out perform the Pro compound just as I've seen the Pro out perform the Belted. The only reasonable comparison could be between the 4790 D x-pattern and the 26mm vta D compound vta tire.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:18 AM   #6
Tech Addict

Ok, got it. The reason I asked was because at my track VTA is not big, only one car out there. I wanted to make it two by adding a VTA legal mustang body and some VTA rubber. 25.5 would be nice in my case right now, it would slow my car down and not give me such a steep learning curve, as nobody runs VTA at my track. I just did not want to give away any traction as those sweepers are murdering me. I can hang with anyone on the infield, but when it comes to the straight leading to a sweeper....oh boy....sometimes i get it, the other 99.9 perccent of the time.....uhh....well.....
Old 02-09-2011, 09:37 AM   #7
Tech Elite

A bit confused.....if there's already 1 vta racer then why would you be interested in the x-patterns ?? They're not VTA spec. And if you ran the x-pattern, you'd have to use the non-vintage wheels (the rim is different for the vintage tires) and you'd have to run 26mm all 4 corners....which looks like crap on a vintage body. Clue me in. Either way....screw it !! Run VTA and just get better with your setup and driving. Way more fun then trying to make up for lack of experience by looking for short cuts. C'mon.....you know you want to !!
BTW, 1 secret our club has found is to clean the tires before each race. A good wipe down with wd40 and let them dry really helps traction.