R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-06-2004, 04:14 AM   #46
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to Herminator

I realise the schottky is best on the motor, it just makes resoldering a motor a bit tricky at times. Getting lots of good ones so you can have one or two for each motor soon gets expensive so I have mine on the motor wires, about 2cm from the motor itself. A bit of a trade off but it makes motor changes a lot easier.

I'm intrested in what you're thinking of for the buttons, trying to think a bit differently....
How about a car key style remote fob? or maybe you've got simple membrane type buttons.
Herminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 05:16 AM   #47
Tech Adept

Just a couple of Q's...

Will it be easier to set up than the VX? I found a bit awkward and just ended up turning off all the punch control and that in the end. Found my left thumb worked better as punch control.

Will it be waterproof?

And... when can we buy one and how much?

Just to say, i've had plenty of speedos, the MRT VX pro has been the only one that has worked perfectly every time, and it's the only truly waterproof speedo IMHO.

Liam
Liam_Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 06:13 AM   #48
Tech Adept

OK Terry, so when can we expect to see the new MX on the street then??
Bosscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 06:20 AM   #49
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

I dunno if we need one now little darren tickner & me got into the A-final brca stock 27t using the vx sport And darren won the first leg from AEast
MR JOLLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 09:54 AM   #50
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Herminator, I thought you'd know about the schottky working best on the motor so that's where it goes even if it's a bit tricky soldering it on, and it's easier with a decent 12V iron like our new MRT one! (see attachment).

As for buttons, they need to be reliable as do on/off switches and not too fiddly either of course. Adjustable pots are not a good idea as they can get damaged easily. What's needed is a neat solution and we have that. Details to follow!

Liam
Thanks for your compliments much appreciated. Continuing re the button etc, the VX button is easy to use it's the underlying set-up and programming that's more involved, if you don't change much very often the instructions come in handy. If you do cahnge settings often it's much easier. It's the price you pay when you run an advanced speedo. Like the top drivers - left thumbs are the best punch control! Suffice to say the MX settings are simple yet very effective with our all new 'dual active' punch/frequency control. Details to follow!

Yes the MX will be 100% waterproof guaranteed as always!

Liam and Bosscat the MX should be out in a couple of months. As for prices, no prices as yet but the MX series (yes there's more than just the one) will cover the whole 'competition ESC price range'. Details to follow!

Mr Jolly, well done to you and Darren and all our drivers at the National, including Chris Kerswell who was 1st in 19t at the BTCC and the KO, quite an achievement!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mrt-12viron.jpg (82.3 KB, 417 views)
Terry_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 11:33 AM   #51
V12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

That 12V iron looks good.
Old 09-06-2004, 12:03 PM   #52
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

Terry-s
Where`s mine (iron)
Old 09-07-2004, 03:54 PM   #53
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Hello everyone,

Just wondering on peoples opinions (and basic spec differences) in comparing MRT speedo's to Ko Propo Speedos such as the VFS-1

Cheerz
Obsidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 07:03 PM   #54
Tech Fanatic

Hi Obsidian and welcome.

First V12 and Mr Jolly glad you like our new soldering iron, we like it a lot too. It's got easy change tips and there will be replacement tips available. It's a new product like our MX so once again details to follow!

Obsidian, I will leave others to comment with their opinions of our speedos compared to other ESC's and their knowledge of the basic spec differences between makes etc. I will say to be careful not to draw conclusions from some of what you read or hear as some things are just 'old racers tales' about ESC's and not to be believed. Much is *claimed* but not proven, some things such as waterproofing are easy to test and prove, either it works in the wet or it does not and goes *poof!!* and FET specs, either the ESC gets hot or it doesn't, you can forget the *claims* that's the on track proof of a low on-resistance, and a low on-resistance = more performance it's as simple as that.

Of course every speedo is a package, with functions and settings and connections etc. Having the package to suit your needs is important so make sure you understand the performance specs and know basically what all the functions do.

Don't believe anyone who insists that specs don't matter or don't mean anything, they don't matter if your ESC specs are lacking compared to the competition, they mean everything if you're serious about winning!

The on-resistance of our top MX is about half (that's 50%) lower than the best *claimed* specs we've seen to date. If you want to say that doesn't matter or doesn't mean anything at all then go ahead, but I can guarantee it does matter and matters very much indeed. As I said already a speedo is a package, the specs are very important but so too are the ESC's functions and settings etc so...

If anyone has any specific questions please feel free to e-mail me or post your questions here. Don't expect a reply within hours or even a day or so as I do regularly travel away and I'm usually busy so please be patient! Saying that there are expert MRT team drivers and users around here to help answer questions.

If you've never heard of MRT you will be hearing a lot more from us in future! We're a UK based company and have been designing and manufacturing top competition ESC's for around 10 years or so now. We are also currently selecting teams/team drivers for countries outside the UK, so if you're interested send me an e-mail or a PM.
Old 09-08-2004, 01:58 AM   #55
Tech Adept

Default MRT compared with...

Well, i made a real test for MRT speedos...
A few years ago, i was sponsored by a ESC brand..., a big one... , and i started to race my qualify on a F1 race in the Belgium Eurocup where i was invited, but after the first heat, a heavy rain started to fall on the track...and i tryed to protect all my electronics for the following heats...the result? 2 new "top of the line" ECS blew..., and last place on the A main, after only one heat finished..., then my friend David Joos, let me use his MRT speedo (purple case, donno the name), and we put it on my car without any protection...only for the reciever..., and after race under heavy rain conditions, and +1cm of water all around on the track, i finished on 2nd place , and i can tell you...this baby had punch..., now i can say that since iīm not sponsored anymore

I hope that helps...looking forward to the MX
D-Drivesports
TRF_SPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 10:40 AM   #56
V12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hi TRF_SPAIN how are you?

Itīs about 3 month since I bought a MRT VX Pro ESC and had a bunch of races since that. I also have some other ESC laying around here and had even more in the past so I think I know what Iīm speaking of. One thing are specs being true or untrue who is able for testing these? But what most drivers will note is the way an ESC works on the track. I have heard and also had some ESC for myself making troubles. Just talk of softwareproblems or problems when running on carpet or burning up when running without shottky or powercap. On the other side I found (and also heard this from other MRT owners) the MRT ESCīs are working with very good reliability. Even running in the wet or dust isnīt a problem as they are designed for this. Just tested running in the wet at the Nationals 10 days ago. In fact I didnīt heard from any MRT ESC since now making any troubles even not on forums from the UK where MRT comes from.
In my opinion this is the most important factor to an ESC. Even more than specs and features.

So after using the MRT for a while now I never went back to any other of my ESCīs as itīs punchy and full of features also.
As I know more on the new MX now I canīt wait for this to be released as I have 2 raceready cars but only one MRT.
Old 09-08-2004, 01:49 PM   #57
X2
Tech Regular

I too can vouch for MRT's reliability.
I know quite a few people who run MRT's over here in the UK and have never ever heard a bad thing about them.
Like V12 says, ive never even saw anything on forums with anybody having problems with reliabilty.
I also know that they have awsome customer service and dont over charge for repairs like split receiver leads etc.
X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 04:06 PM   #58
Tech Elite

I will vouch for terry of mrt even though it is his brother Clive that`s is the brains behind the ESC department, Terry can`t drive as fast as clive either
Terry is a diamond geezer because he has helped me get my company of the ground with the use of his shop Knowledge

When are you going to have a go at stock? If your man enough that is
Old 09-13-2004, 01:55 AM   #59
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by MR JOLLY
I will vouch for terry of mrt even though it is his brother Clive that`s is the brains behind the ESC department, Terry can`t drive as fast as clive either
Terry is a diamond geezer because he has helped me get my company of the ground with the use of his shop Knowledge

When are you going to have a go at stock? If your man enough that is
Hello Colin.
EVOtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 12:32 PM   #60
Tech Fanatic

Apologies for my 'time off' r/c-tech, been busy on MX development. It's going very well. November release is still aticipated providing no unexpected problems/delays crop up. A report will be going out to all the MX response replies we received via our web site (a lot of them!) to confirm receipt and report on progress and specs in more detail. Also our testing will shortly be going from in-house out to our 'development team drivers of choice', some who can provide invaluable technical race feed-back and others simply as average 'users/abusers'. Reliability is as always top of the list alongside performance and ease of use. Needless to say all going well, 100% so far.

Apologies also to the many who have sent emails and not yet had a reply. Normal service will be resumed shortly, back to same day/next day replies. Being swamped with MX email enquiries is flattering but hard work to keep on top of. An autoresponder 'auto' reply email may soon have to be called into use.

Yes we are still looking for prospective team drivers world wide, the MX team is going to be a world beating team so it's not too late to apply. We are considering all applications, but a good cv does help.

Thanks for all the affirmations and confirmations re our products. We do very much appreciate your comments, good, bad or indifferent.

Mr Jolly, as you know I have found the time to run in stock (I don't know how!), somehow I did beat you in my first race and last meeting I got an 18 lapper! I may even beat Clive one day (I wish!!)