R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-07-2007, 02:38 PM   #466
Tech Master

Post As was mentioned above.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuey
mabuchi

i think you ought to stop listing to other people and actual find out the information your self until that happends quit moaning about YOUR lack of info
as for the setup if it is realy causing a problem why dont you send it back to terry at mrt and ask him to check it out i'm convinced it finger trouble i've ran mrt esc and other gear for 15 odd years and never had any setup probs.
setup problems have been sorted out, now it's a 'debate' about being mislead before purchase.

What I wanted was a 'throttle override' and I was told was this was what 'launch control' was.

It's not my lack of info TYVM it's that the info I was given was b's as mentioned by Tryhard when he said....

"I would certainly would like to know who told you that it will go to full throttle at the first touch.... personally it sounds like someone who doesn't know what there talking about was b/s-ing you."
Mabuchi540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 02:42 PM   #467
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabuchi540
setup problems have been sorted out, now it's a 'debate' about being mislead before purchase.

What I wanted was a 'throttle override' and I was told was this was what 'launch control' was.

you said it your self again what i was told you should have got the correct information from the manufacturer or read the product info. you should be taking this stupid argument up with that person who has obviously lied to you. it's your own fault.
stuey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 02:50 PM   #468
Tech Master

Post Chill the f-out dude.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuey
[/B]

you said it your self again what i was told you should have got the correct information from the manufacturer or read the product info. you should be taking this stupid argument up with that person who has obviously lied to you. it's your own fault.
I read the product info and even downloaded the manual and EVERYONE I have showen the launch control paragraph to thinks it means what I assumed it meant and what the OFFICIAL dealer in Australia told me personally over the phone.

Do you honestly think I should have gone "oh the offical dealer is lying to me I better ring the U.K direct all the way from NZ just to be sure"

So don't go giving me all this "it's my own fault" crap ok I investigated as far as could be reasonably expected and as such a manufacturer should be responsible for those they choose to represent their products, no if's buts or maybes.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:54 PM   #469
Tech Addict

Quote:

It's not my lack of info TYVM it's that the info I was given was b's as mentioned by Tryhard when he said....

"I would certainly would like to know who told you that it will go to full throttle at the first touch.... personally it sounds like someone who doesn't know what there talking about was b/s-ing you."

Why didnt you say you just wanted a micro switch

You could of saved yourself a shed load of cash

Don`t Blame the Speedo for your own mistake
Nathan Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 02:56 PM   #470
Tech Master

Post Grrrrr again.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Parker
Why didnt you say you just wanted a micro switch

You could of saved yourself a shed load of cash

Don`t Blame the Speedo for your own mistake
not my mistake, misinformation from an official dealer, did you not read my previous post. :P

Last edited by Mabuchi540; 03-07-2007 at 10:46 PM.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:27 PM   #471
Tech Addict

Quote:
not my mistake, a lie from an official dealer, did you not read my previous post. :P

You have answered your own question there then really TAKE IT UP WITH THE DEALER don`t blame the speedo
Old 03-07-2007, 03:35 PM   #472
Tech Master

Post Unfortunately I can no longer do this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Parker
You have answered your own question there then really TAKE IT UP WITH THE DEALER don`t blame the speedo
as the person I purchased from no longer runs the company and sold it about a month or so after I purchased.

Well it's worth a shot, I have just emailed them,so will wait and see. If nothing comes of it I'll just sell it on.

Last edited by Mabuchi540; 03-07-2007 at 10:47 PM.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:42 PM   #473
Tech Addict

Quote:
no longer runs the company and sold it about a months after I purchased.

Well it's worth a shot, I have just emailed them,so will wait and see. If nothing comes of it I'll just sell it on.

Sorry to hear that but at the end of the day the MRT is A GREAT speedo and you should have no problems running at the front in any class you race
Old 03-07-2007, 03:57 PM   #474
V12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Mabuchi
Do you really think a launch control is the most important thing on an ESC or is deciding if an ESC is good or not? I have to say the MX Pro is my favourite ESC but I also have GM, LRP and others and use them from time to time but actually I never use launch control with either of them and yes sometimes Iīm also running races with mabuchi control motors. If your throttle finger is fast enough I donīt see why 'throttle override' should be any advantage. If you want you can set up your ESC as throttle override. You just need to set up full throttle of the ESC before trigger of your transmitter reaches endposition. This way it works not only for start and you can use any position what works best for you, and is what I do with setup for those motors.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:18 PM   #475
Tech Master

Post Oh I don't think.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by V12
Mabuchi
Do you really think a launch control is the most important thing on an ESC or is deciding if an ESC is good or not? I have to say the MX Pro is my favourite ESC but I also have GM, LRP and others and use them from time to time but actually I never use launch control with either of them and yes sometimes Iīm also running races with mabuchi control motors. If your throttle finger is fast enough I donīt see why 'throttle override' should be any advantage. If you want you can set up your ESC as throttle override. You just need to set up full throttle of the ESC before trigger of your transmitter reaches endposition. This way it works not only for start and you can use any position what works best for you, and is what I do with setup for those motors.
it's a bad speedo at all and I love its size, the feature in question is just one I was specifically looking for after I 'thought' that's what my Keyence Rapida Pro had, (I freely admit in that case it was because I didn't investigate enough that I made the mistake of thinking it had the feature).

You'd be surprized (or perhaps you would't ) the advantage a throttle override can give you on tracks in NZ running 540's.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:39 PM   #476
Tech Elite

Quote:
I got told this by the distributor I got it from (Harris RC in Australia). I asked him at the time, with words to the effect "so it goes to full speed like my old car would back in the day when I pushed the button on my EX9" to which he replied in the affirmative.

Yup I'm running 540 silver can (and he knew it) so of course it's required and as mentioned I can't test it on the track at this stage but still if it doesnt respond how I want it to and how I need it to and how I was told it would then you can see how I am not happy at all.
To quote from my MSX TSX manual;

The MX has "launch control" available which is very usefull to give an "assisted" start line response. From the race start launch control will provide maximum power and accelleration until full throttle is reached. After full throttle has been reached and held for 1 second the throttle response will go back to the profile that has been set.

It appears to be designed to ramp the throttle up almost instantly, ignoring the profiles etc. But it does require you applying full throttle. In a real car launch control requires you to apply a fair amount of throttle (not usually full throttle as internal combustion engines don't like revving flat out off load).

Your correct in that it does not act like a max on/off switch, but that is not launch control

I would suggest you finish building your car, put it in and try it. No-one else has been dissapointed with their ESC's, EAmotorsports now imports them into the US because he was so impressed.

Skiddins
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 12:06 AM   #477
Tech Fanatic

The launch control works exactly as described on the website and the instructions. The key is in the word "launch" defined as "to start, to set going, to send forth, catapult, or release, as a self-propelled vehicle or weapon." I don't see how you can interpret this any other way.

And why the hell you would want to drive any car with a switch on the throttle I have no idea - you'll never win anything meaningful that way. You've bought a speedo that maximises the voltage that gets to your motor, has probably the best set of throttle curves you can buy, is built like a brick and is equally reliable, and has the best back-up service in the World. Use it.

If you don't want a throttle curve, get a micro-switch. Whatever you do, give it a rest - please!!
SlowerOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 02:16 AM   #478
Tech Master

Post You're missing the point.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowerOne
The launch control works exactly as described on the website and the instructions. The key is in the word "launch" defined as "to start, to set going, to send forth, catapult, or release, as a self-propelled vehicle or weapon." I don't see how you can interpret this any other way.

And why the hell you would want to drive any car with a switch on the throttle I have no idea - you'll never win anything meaningful that way. You've bought a speedo that maximises the voltage that gets to your motor, has probably the best set of throttle curves you can buy, is built like a brick and is equally reliable, and has the best back-up service in the World. Use it.

If you don't want a throttle curve, get a micro-switch. Whatever you do, give it a rest - please!!
it does not 'launch' in the manner in which it was described to me that it could.

The fact of the matter is that when racing stock 540 the guy that can get off the line first has a clear advantage, and the ability to get to full speed that fraction of a second quicker than the guy that initially has to pull the trigger all the way is not one to be scoffed at.

Now answer me this, if whatever esc you chose to purchase does not have an ability that you were told it does would you just shut up about it?

Seeing how as we're quoting from the manual (and the key words are 'from the race start' and 'maximum' not launch)......

"From the race start launch control will provide maximum power and acceleration"

Has been understood by everyone I have shown it to as meaning that from the slightest trigger movement maximum power and acceleration is what you get until such time as you hold the trigger at maximum throttle for one second at which point the throttle behaviour will return to normal. In effect an electronic throttle bypass until the trigger has been held at full throttle for one second.

"I don't see how you can interpret this any other way."

Last edited by Mabuchi540; 03-08-2007 at 02:48 AM.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:00 AM   #479
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
"from the start launch control will provide maximum power and acceleration until full throttle is reached"..... umm no it doesn't. Everyone I have shown that to reads that to mean that once engaged launch control will go instantly to full power as soon as you pull the trigger and will stay that way until full throttle has been applied for one second. So with the mearest of touches on the throttle it should take off like a rocket, but sorry to say it just crawls along at whatever pace you pull the trigger.

If this 'launch control' actually turns out to mean that what ever you set the esc at max power and acceleration is available but no it doesn't actually 'launch' as it infers then quite frankly in this country I'd be entitled to a full refund.

--- cut ---

However this was sold to me with the description that 'launch control' meant that once engaged, at the slightest pull of the trigger, it would go to full speed straight away, which it most certainly does not.
This is not launch control in the sense it was sold to me this is just a preset override which is not the same thing.

Hell my old Ko Propo EX9 had a button under the wheel that could be set to go straight to 100% throttle at the first touch of the trigger. This is what I was lead to believe launch control also did.

Had I known this was all it did I would have just got another Keyence or Novak or something, not another esc that gives a false impression.
--- cut ---

As for the launch control I still stick to what I said, I expected it to have near instant full throttle at the first touch of the trigger and it does not.

--- cut ---

Never the less I'd argue that full speed is full speed and the noise it makes when the trigger is pulled all the way back is the same noise it should make when you barely touch the trigger if launch control is engaged. But as I said turning the feature on makes no difference what so ever and you still have to pull the trigger all the way back to get 100%.

--- cut ---

"It will go straight to full speed as soon as you touch the trigger" was what I was told when I was enquiring about this model and bench or track would make no difference full speed is full speed. With a load on the wheels or not the motor will still reach full speed. This is NOT what launch control is doing and this IS what I was lead to believe it does.

--- cut ---

I got told this by the distributor I originally purchased it from in Australia. I asked him at the time, with words to the effect "so it goes to full speed like my old car would back in the day when I pushed the button on my EX9" to which he replied in the affirmative.

Yup I'm running 540 silver can (and he knew it) so of course it's required and as mentioned I can't test it on the track at this stage but still if it doesnt respond how I want it to and how I need it to and how I was told it would then you can see how I am not happy at all.
--- cut ---

setup problems have been sorted out, now it's a 'debate' about being mislead before purchase. What I wanted was a 'throttle override' and I was told was this was what 'launch control' was. It's not my lack of info TYVM it's that the info I was given was b's as mentioned by Tryhard when he said....

Ok - the response....

My name is Scott Harris - I ran Harris RC here in Australia until I sold the business to the new owner in October last year. I was always extremely happy and dare I say it "proud" to be onboard with MRT, and I know the new owner is as well. Anyone who has run an MRT speedy knows why - they give excellent product for an excellent price.

I sold the MRT MX PRO to Mabuchi540 well over 6 months ago. Now, my memory is not brilliant, but I do remember the conversation with Andrew - we chatted about the speedy (its figures - on resistance etc), his 540 racing in NZ and its specific needs, and the launch control on the MX (and my confusion as to why New Zealand doesn't have post/zip codes - but that's an aside). Incidentally, I wired it up for him for free, since I was out of stock of the "tube" connector versions, and he wasn't comfortable soldering it.

I can't recall my exact words, but I would have told Andrew what I told everyone else who asked about the launch control - that it gives the maximum acceleration it can give, until you hit full throttle, at which point it goes back to normal operation. I do not recall anything about giving 100% throttle as soon as you touch the throttle, or "it stays on all through a run" or any words remotely to that effect, but if I had understood the questions properly, of course I would have said no - they are obviously not true, and why you would want those features is beyond me anyhow (get a microswitch if you want that!).

I am pretty upset at Harris RC (and thus myself) being bad mouthed here. I don't believe I have done anything wrong - I certainly did not BS you or out and out lie to you, as you have insinuated - and if I somehow did convey something I didn't mean, I certainly did not mean to do so.

At the end of business emails, I used to sign off "if you have any questions or issues, please let me know" - and I meant it. Mail to [email protected] *still* gets to me now - if you had any questions or issues, you could have simply mailed me - although I am travelling at the moment, I still get email every day. If you had called me again on the same number you called me the first time, you would have got the new owner of the business (Tony is his name, incidentally), who could have either sorted out your problem, or referred it onto someone who could - in this case me, since I sold you the item. We could have sorted this out without getting into a public slanging match, which doesn't help anyone, and just makes people look silly.

To be quite frank Andrew, I think your claims are spurious at best, but if you honestly think I lied to you or ripped you off, please email me and we will sort this out to both your and my satisfaction - you have my word. I am proud of Harris RC's reputation and integrity, and will not have it sullied in this way. I'm pretty certain I haven't, but if I HAVE misled you in any way, please accept my sincere apologies - it certainly was not my intention.

I ask that you and everyone else take a big deep breath, and appreciate your MRT product for what it is - the best ESC, bang for buck, on the market - with the bonus of a FANTASTIC launch control system which works well, and as advertised.

-Scott
ozoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 04:55 AM   #480
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Having used the MRT esc for well over a year now, I can definitely say that the launch control works very well indeed, especially in Stock and 19T.

But you can't expect miracles. It isn't going to allow you to jump from 8th on the grid to first!

On most of the tracks I race at the grid spacing is quite large, so even when you use it you won't necessarily catapult past the car in front, but at the very least it allows you to capitalize on any slow starters.

I think it is the most useful when you are TQ or 2nd on the grid - using the launch control in this situation allows you to get a handy gap on the drivers behind you - ensuring that you don't get hacked in the first turn

Some radios have a single push button switch that you can set up to be neutral position - combine this with the launch control and you really have a nice advantage over other competitors
FIR#2 - "You can't buy this much talent"
Durango Dex410 - Schumacher Cougar SV - Top Photon
bender is offline   Reply With Quote