R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-06-2007, 02:07 PM   #451
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Sorry I wasn't around to answer sooner Andrew. I think you're not following the instructions correctly. You press and hold the setup button to change between functions and press and release the setup button to change the settings for the function. It sounds like you're holding the button on too long. When you get the hang of it it's really very easy!
Terry_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 07:48 PM   #452
Tech Master

Post Well nothing seems to work.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry_S
Sorry I wasn't around to answer sooner Andrew. I think you're not following the instructions correctly. You press and hold the setup button to change between functions and press and release the setup button to change the settings for the function. It sounds like you're holding the button on too long. When you get the hang of it it's really very easy!
I've tried literally dozens of times and still the same thing happens.

According to the instructions to check the throttle setting you press and hold for two seconds (actually 3 because I timed it) and then it beeps once and sure enough it flashes with the setting I gave it...but when I turn it on and hold the setup button for four seconds (I timed it again) it's still in throttle checking mode.

If I press and hold for six seconds it beeps once at 3 seconds and twice at six seconds and is then in brake setting mode but as mentioned before it has shifted forward one setting place.

God knows how quick you have to be but I just can't get it to read properly unless I set it to one before the one I need...for example set it for six and when I turn it back on and check then I can get it to display 'one flash'.

What gives with the 'beeps' anyway there is no mention of them even being there in the first place.

Not only that 'launch control' doesn't work. Sure if you turn it on and apply full brake for four seconds it beeps but.....

"from the start launch control will provide maximum power and acceleration until full throttle is reached".....

umm no it doesn't.

Everyone I have shown that to reads that to mean that once engaged launch control will go instantly to full power as soon as you pull the trigger and will stay that way until full throttle has been applied for one second.

So with the mearest of touches on the throttle it should take off like a rocket, but sorry to say it just crawls along at whatever pace you pull the trigger.

I had the same situation with my Keyence Rapida Pro in that their launch wasn't actually a launch but just an "it's available."

If this 'launch control' actually turns out to mean that what ever you set the esc at max power and acceleration is available but no it doesn't actually 'launch' as it infers then quite frankly in this country I'd be entitled to a full refund.

Last edited by Mabuchi540; 03-06-2007 at 10:43 PM.
Mabuchi540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 01:26 AM   #453
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

hmm, not trying to rubbish your view on the launch control, but it does work...
I still distinctly making awesome starts at a southend national last year, the first time I used the MX... and that was with launch control engaged.
Still punch off the line now...everytime I remember to engage it, there is a noticeable improvement in starting performance.

HiH
Ed
Old 03-07-2007, 02:14 AM   #454
Tech Adept

Just out of interest, you are turning the power off after checking the throttle profile aren't you?

Otherwise you'll still be in throttle profile mode and the next press of the button will shift it on one position.

I do agree with you about the timings though, but just forget the time and wait for the beep so:

Turn off, turn on, press and hold setup button, first beep = throttle profile

Turn off, turn on, press and hold setup button, don't let off for the first beep, then second beep = brake profile

Once you set any profile, turn the ESC off and on again.

The launch control definately works, it was quite funny on Sunday because I found myself turning it on in qualifying and just 3 metres after the start line was a chicane and a hairpin. I had a nightmare getting the car round it with only 100% power at my finger tips
THancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 02:19 AM   #455
Tech Master

Post Oh I don't doubt there's an improvement.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryHard
hmm, not trying to rubbish your view on the launch control, but it does work...
I still distinctly making awesome starts at a southend national last year, the first time I used the MX... and that was with launch control engaged.
Still punch off the line now...everytime I remember to engage it, there is a noticeable improvement in starting performance.

HiH
Ed

However this was sold to me with the description that 'launch control' meant that once engaged, at the slightest pull of the trigger, it would go to full speed straight away, which it most certainly does not.

I tested it a few minutes ago by setting my transmitter to 50% throw (and 50% was all I got when I pulled the trigger initially). After engaging launch control it would allow me to go to 100% but after holding it there for 1 second and releasing the trigger and then pulling it again it would still go to 100 and not 50%.

Once I turn the car off and on again then it is reset back to 50%.

This is not launch control in the sense it was sold to me this is just a preset override which is not the same thing.

Hell my old Ko Propo EX9 had a button under the wheel that could be set to go straight to 100% throttle at the first touch of the trigger. This is what I was lead to believe launch control also did.

Had I known this was all it did I would have just got another Keyence or Novak or something, not another esc that gives a false impression.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:27 AM   #456
Tech Master

Post I'll agree with you there.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by THancock
Just out of interest, you are turning the power off after checking the throttle profile aren't you?

Otherwise you'll still be in throttle profile mode and the next press of the button will shift it on one position.

I do agree with you about the timings though, but just forget the time and wait for the beep so:

Turn off, turn on, press and hold setup button, first beep = throttle profile

Turn off, turn on, press and hold setup button, don't let off for the first beep, then second beep = brake profile

Once you set any profile, turn the ESC off and on again.

The launch control definately works, it was quite funny on Sunday because I found myself turning it on in qualifying and just 3 metres after the start line was a chicane and a hairpin. I had a nightmare getting the car round it with only 100% power at my finger tips
and yes I am doing it as you say. I 'finally' got it figured out. Waiting for the second beep didn't seem to work but waiting for the second beep and the very first led flash after the second beep does.

No matter where I set it 1,2,3,4,5 or 6 so long as I wait for the first flash in the series to start then it reads as you would expect.

As for the launch control I still stick to what I said, I expected it to have near instant full throttle at the first touch of the trigger and it does not.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:34 AM   #457
Tech Addict

Trying the launch control on a car stand won't show you what it's capable of. Just try it out on the track and you'll see what it can do. I imagine the launch control will be designed so that you don't get any wheelspin, hence giving you the quickest get away possible, when you have your car on the stand there is no load on the wheels so the speed controller thinks your wheels are spinning. Just a thought, but I'm sure that the launch control will work on the track.
Skill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 02:45 AM   #458
Tech Master

Post If that is the case and.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skill
Trying the launch control on a car stand won't show you what it's capable of. Just try it out on the track and you'll see what it can do. I imagine the launch control will be designed so that you don't get any wheelspin, hence giving you the quickest get away possible, when you have your car on the stand there is no load on the wheels so the speed controller thinks your wheels are spinning. Just a thought, but I'm sure that the launch control will work on the track.
launch control only works on the track surely they would say so in the instructions thus avoiding posting like this in the first place?

Never the less I'd argue that full speed is full speed and the noise it makes when the trigger is pulled all the way back is the same noise it should make when you barely touch the trigger if launch control is engaged. But as I said turning the feature on makes no difference what so ever and you still have to pull the trigger all the way back to get 100%.

Anyway if what you say is the case then I have no way to test it because there are parts that were incorrectly made for my kit and I can't get it on the track until Losi come up with the correct bits.

Last edited by Mabuchi540; 03-07-2007 at 03:58 AM.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:24 AM   #459
Tech Addict

Well I'm not saying that this is how it works, as I don't know. All I'm sure of is that the launch control feature does give you a better start, regardless of how it works.

If your only basis for buying this speedo was the fact that it had launch control then I don't know where you were looking not to see the amazing specs of the speedo.
Skill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 03:56 AM   #460
Tech Master

Post Actually.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skill
Well I'm not saying that this is how it works, as I don't know. All I'm sure of is that the launch control feature does give you a better start, regardless of how it works.

If your only basis for buying this speedo was the fact that it had launch control then I don't know where you were looking not to see the amazing specs of the speedo.
The launch control was the deciding factor, initially the MX Pro was on my list because its voltage drop was near enough the same as my Keyence Rapida Pro (before it went to esc heaven) and it doesn't have all the settings the Keyence had (and I never used) and its case is fully enclosed (the Keyence had gaps you could drive a truck through by comparison).
Old 03-07-2007, 01:17 PM   #461
Tech Elite

Launch control does work, and many have made up positions at the start to prove it (me included).

You will only notice a difference on the track, mainly at the beginning of a final which is the same as launch control in a sports car.

On the bench will show you nothing as the car is not under load, it's also not going to increase the speed of the motor as that is not it's function.

Quote:
launch control only works on the track surely they would say so in the instructions thus avoiding posting like this in the first place?
Obviously the functions on an RC car only work when it is running on the ground/track, you also won't be able to tell the differences in frequency etc, your statement is like saying that the controls on your RC plane work fine in your bedroom but not well enough in the air

As for bits for your Losi, you'd better get used to ordering spares

Skiddins
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 02:01 PM   #462
Tech Master

Exclamation Oi hang on a minute.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddins
Launch control does work, and many have made up positions at the start to prove it (me included).

You will only notice a difference on the track, mainly at the beginning of a final which is the same as launch control in a sports car.

On the bench will show you nothing as the car is not under load, it's also not going to increase the speed of the motor as that is not it's function.

Obviously the functions on an RC car only work when it is running on the ground/track, you also won't be able to tell the differences in frequency etc, your statement is like saying that the controls on your RC plane work fine in your bedroom but not well enough in the air

As for bits for your Losi, you'd better get used to ordering spares

Skiddins
is there some part of "it will go straight to full speed as soon as you touch the trigger" that people don't understand. On the bench or on the track it makes no difference to the above statement.

"It will go straight to full speed as soon as you touch the trigger" was what I was told when I was enquiring about this model and bench or track would make no difference full speed is full speed. With a load on the wheels or not the motor will still reach full speed. This is NOT what launch control is doing and this IS what I was lead to believe it does.

As I said above I once had an EX9 transmitter with a button that could be set so that just touching it made the ESC go instantly to full speed and it would do this on the bench or on the track.

The most important aspect to me in all this is that the Mx Pro does not react in the manner in which I was told it would.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:19 PM   #463
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabuchi540
is there some part of "it will go straight to full speed as soon as you touch the trigger" that people don't understand. On the bench or on the track it makes no difference to the above statement.

"It will go straight to full speed as soon as you touch the trigger" was what I was told when I was enquiring about this model and bench or track would make no difference full speed is full speed. With a load on the wheels or not the motor will still reach full speed. This is NOT what launch control is doing and this IS what I was lead to believe it does.

As I said above I once had an EX9 transmitter with a button that could be set so that just touching it made the ESC go instantly to full speed and it would do this on the bench or on the track.

The most important aspect to me in all this is that the Mx Pro does not react in the manner in which I was told it would.
Sorry, I disagree....

What you are describing as launch control, is basically false... thats just a max throttle overide... NOT launch control.

You try putting 100% power down the instant you touch the throttle with a 7x1... your just going to spin the wheels, which is the slowest starting method.
Launch Control effectively should match the level of grip avaliable, with the amount of power, giving an optimum amount of power for the traction avaliable. Basically a good system will give you as much power as needed for that condition... I have to say I certainly notice the launch controls benefit more on lower grip surfaces than high (This is regardless of motor too)

I would certainly would like to know who told you that it will go to full throttle at the first touch.... personally it sounds like someone who doesn't know what there talking about was b/s-ing you.

Now, from reading some other threads, I assume your using the 540 silver can in your CR ( ), NZ's stock motor right? So I can understand why you think "100% throttle" is required... but have you actually tried the car with the L/C engaged on track, against other cars? I seriously doubt you would be disappointed.

Regards
Ed
Old 03-07-2007, 02:27 PM   #464
Tech Master

Post Ok reply time.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryHard
Sorry, I disagree....

What you are describing as launch control, is basically false... thats just a max throttle overide... NOT launch control.

You try putting 100% power down the instant you touch the throttle with a 7x1... your just going to spin the wheels, which is the slowest starting method.
Launch Control effectively should match the level of grip avaliable, with the amount of power, giving an optimum amount of power for the traction avaliable. Basically a good system will give you as much power as needed for that condition... I have to say I certainly notice the launch controls benefit more on lower grip surfaces than high (This is regardless of motor too)

I would certainly would like to know who told you that it will go to full throttle at the first touch.... personally it sounds like someone who doesn't know what there talking about was b/s-ing you.

Now, from reading some other threads, I assume your using the 540 silver can in your CR ( ), NZ's stock motor right? So I can understand why you think "100% throttle" is required... but have you actually tried the car with the L/C engaged on track, against other cars? I seriously doubt you would be disappointed.

Regards
Ed
I got told this by the distributor I originally purchased it from in Australia. I asked him at the time, with words to the effect "so it goes to full speed like my old car would back in the day when I pushed the button on my EX9" to which he replied in the affirmative.

Yup I'm running 540 silver can (and he knew it) so of course it's required and as mentioned I can't test it on the track at this stage but still if it doesnt respond how I want it to and how I need it to and how I was told it would then you can see how I am not happy at all.

Last edited by Mabuchi540; 03-07-2007 at 10:44 PM.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:32 PM   #465
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

mabuchi

i think you ought to stop listing to other people and actual find out the information your self until that happends quit moaning about YOUR lack of info
as for the setup if it is realy causing a problem why dont you send it back to terry at mrt and ask him to check it out i'm convinced it finger trouble i've ran mrt esc and other gear for 15 odd years and never had any setup probs.
stuey is offline   Reply With Quote