R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-10-2007, 04:50 AM   #436
Tech Master

Post Thank you so much for the.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry_S
It is however VERY important that BOTH leads are soldered on ok, because you will be connecting direct to the PCB pads for the small size in-built power cap (between the top and bottom circuit boards) if not connected (bad joint etc) there will be NO cap connected and the speedo will be damaged when used. The MX design has a replaceable built-in power capacitor, external schottky diode and replaceable wires/leads so they can be changed by the user. This does also mean being CAREFUL when soldering and ensure it's all done OK!! You have been warned!
for all the capital letters and the warning, just what I needed to hear when I was thinking that the fact I got the same reading across the cap as across the battery was at least a sign I had a cap connected properly as opposed to "NO" cap...just what I needed to read right now thanks, I so love having seeds of doubt.

Last edited by Mabuchi540; 02-13-2007 at 04:25 PM.
Mabuchi540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 04:23 PM   #437
Tech Master

*bump*
Old 02-13-2007, 04:56 PM   #438
Tech Elite

A question for Terry on the new TSX;

Depending on what I set the 'Neutral' options to be is the 'Brake Minimum' setting ignored when I actually brake using the transmitter.

I ask as I manged to have the brake minimum setting set to 5 which of course meant I had 64% of my brakes engaged whenever I had neutral .
So is the 'Brake Minimum' setting only used/operational in neutral.

Also, what should the difference be between a fixed frequency profile and a 'Dual-Active' profile?

Thanks
Skiddins
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 06:09 AM   #439
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabuchi540
for all the capital letters and the warning, just what I needed to hear when I was thinking that the fact I got the same reading across the cap as across the battery was at least a sign I had a cap connected properly as opposed to "NO" cap...just what I needed to read right now thanks, I so love having seeds of doubt.
Mabuchi540, just make sure it's connected up ok and It will work ok. If you doubt your soldering abilities it's probably best you find someone at your local track to help you. If you have a capacitance meter or multi-meter with a capacitance setting you could check the value of the capacitor out of circuit. To test it's connected in circuit properly use the continuity test setting on a multi-meter.
Terry_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 06:23 AM   #440
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddins
A question for Terry on the new TSX;

Depending on what I set the 'Neutral' options to be is the 'Brake Minimum' setting ignored when I actually brake using the transmitter.

I ask as I manged to have the brake minimum setting set to 5 which of course meant I had 64% of my brakes engaged whenever I had neutral .
So is the 'Brake Minimum' setting only used/operational in neutral.

Also, what should the difference be between a fixed frequency profile and a 'Dual-Active' profile?

Thanks
Skiddins
Skiddins the Brake Minimum is never "ignored", the minimum amount of braking possible is set by the 'Brake Minimum' setting. When 'drag brakes' are set the neutral (no brake) is "taken out" and replaced with Brake Minimum at neutral. If it's set to be 64% then the minimum braking starts at 64% when you apply any brakes with the transmitter, with drag brakes set there will be 64% braking at neutral.

The difference between a fixed frequency profile and a 'Dual-Active' profile is that a fixed frequency profile has one fixed frequency working with the throttle curve for the profile and a Dual-Active profile has a varying frequency which changes in response to the throttle input from the transmitter and is modified by the throttle curve for the profile. The result is that a Dual-Active profile is more "in tune" at any given throttle input resulting in better performance due to improved motor efficiency.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:31 PM   #441
Tech Master

Actually I doubt.....

Quote:
Mabuchi540, just make sure it's connected up ok and It will work ok. If you doubt your soldering abilities it's probably best you find someone at your local track to help you. If you have a capacitance meter or multi-meter with a capacitance setting you could check the value of the capacitor out of circuit. To test it's connected in circuit properly use the continuity test setting on a multi-meter.
my old soldering iron lol. Anyway I now have a great new Goot model and have just put the Corally plugs on for the battery but I've had a bit of an oops.

Ok here goes.....

I was very pleased with how it all went and just before I put the heat shrink around the plugs I figured I would test fit the plugs in/out on one of my batteries (uncharged, well so I thought lol).

Picture holding the battery in one hand and the esc plug in the other (the body of esc is hanging loose).

Well I plugged the esc negative end into a socket, unfortunately on the positive end of the battery.

I thought the battery was flat because that's how I had stored it and I figured it would make no difference as it was just testing the plug and the other end wasn't plugged in nor was the esc even turned on.

As I did this there was a blink of the eye spark as the underside of the exposed circuit board (the only part I hadn't covered with a silicone sealant - the bottom of the setting switch) on the free swinging esc touched the negative terminal of the battery.....oh crap.

With everything now plugged in the way it should be the little light still comes on though (I still haven't set it to the transmitter).

What damage might I have done and how would it most likely manifest itself?
Old 03-04-2007, 01:25 PM   #442
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
What damage might I have done and how would it most likely manifest itself?
Hi Andrew, you will need to return your MX to us for diagnostic testing to find out exactly what damage you've done. A reverse polarity mis-connection of the power even on a discharged battery will most times cause internal damage. The LED (light) will display a fast 'error' flash to show a 'damage/shutdown' condition.
Old 03-04-2007, 02:30 PM   #443
Tech Master

Post Really, all the way to the UK.....

Quote:
Hi Andrew, you will need to return your MX to us for diagnostic testing to find out exactly what damage you've done. A reverse polarity mis-connection of the power even on a discharged battery will most times cause internal damage. The LED (light) will display a fast 'error' flash to show a 'damage/shutdown' condition.
even when the LED isn't fast flashing and is on steady?

It wasn't actually the other battery lead that touched the terminal, as mentioned, it was just the underside of the circuit board (underneath the setting switch) that had the brief touch.

But yes if the LED light is a dead giveaway of a problem then that part isn't displaying any problems at all.
Old 03-04-2007, 02:33 PM   #444
Tech Elite

Terry,

Is it the case that no matter how I've set the brake minimum etc on my TSX, that when I pull full back on the stick, the car should stop quickly?

I think I may have a problem with the brakes, I thin they're not working, but as my previous speedo had problems I can't tell the difference.

If I was to return it for testing etc, what's the returns procedure.

Skiddins
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 03:44 PM   #445
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Terry,

Is it the case that no matter how I've set the brake minimum etc on my TSX, that when I pull full back on the stick, the car should stop quickly?

I think I may have a problem with the brakes, I thin they're not working, but as my previous speedo had problems I can't tell the difference.

Skiddins
go into the advance menu and turn them up in there cant remeber of the top of my head what function there is a mininmum brake setting turn that up then use the external setting to fine tune

stu rand
stuey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 03:59 PM   #446
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

terry you got mail
stuey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 05:21 PM   #447
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
even when the LED isn't fast flashing and is on steady?

It wasn't actually the other battery lead that touched the terminal, as mentioned, it was just the underside of the circuit board (underneath the setting switch) that had the brief touch.

But yes if the LED light is a dead giveaway of a problem then that part isn't displaying any problems at all.
If the LED is displaying normally and the battery didn't reverse connect the power then it should all be working ok. If it's not operating normally when connected correctly it will need to be returned to us for testing.
Old 03-04-2007, 05:24 PM   #448
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuey
terry you got mail
Thanks Stuart, I'll take a look and have a read and see what you've found out!
Old 03-04-2007, 05:26 PM   #449
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Terry,

Skiddins
Hi Skiddins, if you've done what Stuey suggests and it's still not right try connecting a servo to the throttle channel to see you're getting full movement both ways. If your transmitter is not allowing full movement you won't get full brakes. If there is still no brakes then let me know and we'll see what else we can do, if anything!
Old 03-05-2007, 01:09 AM   #450
Tech Master

Hi Terry, just a quick setup question.....

I understand how to set the throttle and brake profiles and once you turn it off and back on again the esc does show the correct throttle profile after holding the setup button for two seconds.

But is it normal for the brake setting to jump to the next setting after holding the setup button for four seconds?

No matter how quickly I release the button after the four second beep the light always flashes for the setting after the one I had set. If I set at one then turn it off and back on and then check, it flashes twice, if I set it at three once I turn it off then on and check it will be flashing four times etc etc.

Last edited by Mabuchi540; 03-05-2007 at 05:00 AM.