R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-03-2004, 04:38 AM   #31
Shop Owner

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to nnick Send a message via MSN to nnick Send a message via Yahoo to nnick Send a message via Skype™ to nnick

I know about Pegasus! My friend had a pre-production. The problem is that no store has it yet!

Nick

The #1 source for all your electric needs www.rcring.eu

Enjoy RCing....
R/C Tech #82
IRT #123

Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong

Team Xray T4'17, Team Xray X10'18, TOP Racing Rebel
nnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 06:16 AM   #32
Tech Master

Send a message via MSN to raving-monkey

the pegasus even has a built in failsafe
raving-monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 11:43 AM   #33
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hi Loman, interesting colour I will have to consider it.

Hi nnick, receiver and speedo together as an idea sounds good but a problem when you consider all the different frequency bands used around the world, it's a bit costly for manufacturing!

Don't forget whatever receiver you use even if it's waterproof make sure you stick blue tak around the plugs and crystal or you will end up with problems caused by water.

Back to the new MX ESC, I have a question. Large external 'Power Caps' good or bad idea?
Terry_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 11:46 AM   #34
X2
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Terry_S
Hi Loman, interesting colour I will have to consider it.

Hi nnick, receiver and speedo together as an idea sounds good but a problem when you consider all the different frequency bands used around the world, it's a bit costly for manufacturing!

Don't forget whatever receiver you use even if it's waterproof make sure you stick blue tak around the plugs and crystal or you will end up with problems caused by water.

Back to the new MX ESC, I have a question. Large external 'Power Caps' good or bad idea?
Big external powercaps...hmm, could it be made an option?
I know I would use them for the slight advantage and to aid cooling...but I know some people get fed up with them.
X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 12:16 PM   #35
V12
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Terry_S
...Back to the new MX ESC, I have a question. Large external 'Power Caps' good or bad idea?
I think itīs better using an external powercap. Some guys donīt need one and will have a very small ESC and the other who think they need one (like me) could use the one they prefer.
Old 09-03-2004, 12:37 PM   #36
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to Herminator

It's probably a good idea to include atleast one power cap. I like the way MTroniks offer two, one sensible sized one which they reccomend as the minimum and then one extra large one for those who feel they need it.

It would be nice though to not have external schottky diodes, or atleast mount them nicely to the side of the speedo, just under the solder tabs.

Will there be a FET lead on the MX, personaly I never needed the one on the VX, it either got in the way or I taped it to the side of the speedo with black electrical tape to hide it. Isn't it just as simple for people to solder a lead to the positive tab?
Herminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 12:58 PM   #37
V12
Tech Elite

Not a bad idea but itīs better one very good cap as shipped with the VX than two average caps. And believe me there are big differences even those who sell for a high price arenīt really good sometimes.

Regarding the FET lead the difference is this one is switched on and off by the ESC. If you just solder to the positive tab this is working as good but itīs alway applied power as soon as you connect the battery.
Old 09-03-2004, 01:04 PM   #38
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

terry-s
Just keep it nice & simple K.I.
power caps? never use them myself they just get in the way,just remember the lack of space in a car nowadays
MR JOLLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 02:17 PM   #39
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to Herminator

Quote:
Originally posted by V12

Regarding the FET lead the difference is this one is switched on and off by the ESC. If you just solder to the positive tab this is working as good but itīs alway applied power as soon as you connect the battery.
ah yes, why didn't I think of that

Mr Jolly, power caps are often reccomended to help small speedo's keep cool and efficient. MTroniks say one must be used at all times, thats why they supply a smallish one and then if you want a bit more performance you can use the large one.
If you can't find room next to these small ESC's then you're reciever must be quite big get a futaba 9550 servo too and there should be plenty room on any car. The Cuda is about average for electronics space and I can fit a BIG speedo along with the other electronics all on the main chassis, so with a small speedo you can also have a BIG cap
Herminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 02:24 PM   #40
Tech Adept

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

I think we should turn this question back round!

Why do we need the power caps Terry and do they really work??
big_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 02:34 PM   #41
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

I know what they are designed for, are we talking about a similar one that novak use for there`s inline one they sell or the big dustbin thingys that add weight & more wires?

Last edited by MR JOLLY; 09-03-2004 at 02:57 PM.
Old 09-03-2004, 02:42 PM   #42
V12
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by big_G

Iīm not Terry but the power caps do work!
Not the same on every ESC. Some need them or otherwould would burn up easily. The other are running even without one but a power cap always will help an ESC (and the battery!) more or less as they are smoothing out the voltage spikes generated by the motor. More or less depends on the quality of the cap. Using a low quality cap may burn up or explode. I have seen this more than once with a hot modified. Donīt use any cheap from Radio Shack.
Similar is for an additional schottky.
The current VX doesnīt really need either but will work better using these.
Old 09-04-2004, 06:06 AM   #43
Tech Regular

External power caps are just annoying. Surely if a speedo needs a power cap it should be inside the case.
Robfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 04:39 PM   #44
Tech Elite

I think a speedo should be as neat as poss, no external gizmo`s,schotty diods be inside,power caps i think the performance you gain using one is under mined by the weight & space you need to put some where ,also the more wires the more chance of glitching,cars nowadays with the layout it`s getting a bit hard to mount a speedo with wires neatly & soundly
Old 09-06-2004, 04:00 AM   #45
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

X2, they are difinately optional. The VX and the new MX will work at full efficiency without any external power cap, but an extra external one can be fitted if you like.

An extra externally fitted power cap will help more to reduce harmful voltage spikes as V12 says, but only really to help stop radio glitches not improve performance. Some ESC's do it more with the external power cap (or caps!) so it's important to fit them properly. The same applies to schottky diodes but with the VX/MX the schottky is what affects efficiency the most.

Something new with the MX is its "stealth" circuitry which stops noise from the electronics, like with a real car you end up with an engine (or ESC) that runs optimally and runs sweet.

Herminator & Mr Jolly, regarding schottky diodes the answer is that the schottky diode is best fitted externally and across the motor tabs not on the speedo tabs/connectors or inside the speedo case. For a schottky diode to operate most effectively it has to be on the motor, electrically this is the best place to fit it.

You have to think of the schottky diode like it's the exhaust pipe on your real car, it gets hot, it wears out and it can get damaged so it's not a good idea to have one built inside the speedo. Fitting a good schottky diode is just like fitting a good tuned exhaust on your real car it maximises your engine (or ESC) performance, so always fit a good one!

Quote:
Originally posted by big_G

I think V12 has answered your question. He's not me but he has the answer correct as I would have put it!!
Terry_S is offline   Reply With Quote