R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-03-2007, 09:20 AM   #421
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabuchi540
I should have noticed earlier but when you turn the Esc upside down and look at the little slot in the circuit board are the wires just on either side of it the wires for the built in capacitor?

If so which is the positive and which is the negative and would it be ok to wire the large cap to the same points?

If it's ok to do it that way would my 18w/12v goot soldering iron be up to the task? The only other ones I have are 60 and 80 watt ones.

Thanks in advance.

Ps: Was it ok to cut the blue fet wire really short to keep it out of the way as I don't use fet servos?
Hi Mabuchi540, the main power connectors are the solder posts or plug-in connector sockets but it is possible to solder direct to the pcb pads for the built in capacitor when connecting the power cap. The polarity is the same as the adjacent connections which is the on/off switch Positive and the receiver lead Negative.

It's ok to cut the blue FET wire short but make sure the end is insulated as it is still a 'live' connection.
Terry_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 07:39 AM   #422
Tech Rookie

Hi there,

Just setting up my first mx and have a quick couple of questions....

1. Im using an M8 radio and are a little confused with the part in the manual where it says to adjust the radio to "basic operation of the throttle channel ie. with full travel (end point adjust)".
Does this mean the TH EPA of the HI and BR needs to be set at 100% or at the maximum of 160%on the radio????

2. Im using a CO27 stock motor which has built in capacitors is it still necessary to use the supplied 0.1uf supplied capacitors that came with the esc or are the ones on the motor ok???

Cheers,
Gareth
Floss_LUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 12:11 PM   #423
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floss_LUC
Hi there,

Just setting up my first mx and have a quick couple of questions....

1. Im using an M8 radio and are a little confused with the part in the manual where it says to adjust the radio to "basic operation of the throttle channel ie. with full travel (end point adjust)".
Does this mean the TH EPA of the HI and BR needs to be set at 100% or at the maximum of 160%on the radio????

2. Im using a CO27 stock motor which has built in capacitors is it still necessary to use the supplied 0.1uf supplied capacitors that came with the esc or are the ones on the motor ok???

Cheers,
Gareth
Hi Gareth, regarding full travel it means if you had a servo connected it would move full travel, you need the maximum movement ie set like having basic radio operation.

Regarding the motor capacitors, they will be ok but it's worth making sure they are well connected as non soldered 'press fit' joints can eventually fail and possibly cause glitches or interference.
Old 02-04-2007, 02:48 PM   #424
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hi Terry,

Used the TSX today... brilliant. Set it up with lowest drive frequency, on throttle profile 2, and 6% auto-roll, worked really well in stock. Very impressed... it even managed to survive a battery wire coming un-soldered and shorting it. Thought i'd lost it after only the first run, but having un-soldered all the wires, it sprung back into life Unfortuantly didn't work for my MX Pro... which I daftly reverse connected a battery with... opps :'( My fault, I'll be sending it back to you in the week for repair.

Cheers
Ed
Old 02-06-2007, 01:18 AM   #425
Tech Fanatic

Ed that's excellent news, your new TSX going really well and the auto-roll is helping too. The secret is out, auto-roll works well in stock!! Hope the good news keeps up. Bad news about your MX Pro, we'll see exactly what the damage is when we receive it, will let you know the outcome.

Congatulations and thanks to all the MRT drivers racing at the 2 day CW at the weekend, I had planned to be there to see everyone but ended up in bed with a flu bug (feeling a bit better now.. busy catching up with work!)

Terry
Old 02-06-2007, 02:23 AM   #426
Tech Champion

Yup certainly works well. I'll do some more experimenting with the speedo setup this weekend at a club meeting... I think more auto-roll should work even better with the revvy motor/shaft drive combo I currently use..

Cheers
Ed
Old 02-06-2007, 05:51 AM   #427
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry_S
Ed that's excellent news, your new TSX going really well and the auto-roll is helping too. The secret is out, auto-roll works well in stock!! Hope the good news keeps up. Bad news about your MX Pro, we'll see exactly what the damage is when we receive it, will let you know the outcome.

Congatulations and thanks to all the MRT drivers racing at the 2 day CW at the weekend, I had planned to be there to see everyone but ended up in bed with a flu bug (feeling a bit better now.. busy catching up with work!)

Terry
Hi Terry

Finished 13th with my TSX in Stock, used 10% Auto-Roll.

Used Profile 2, no idea wat frequency, I'm still trying to work out what I'm doing with it

However, it never missed a beat all weekend (it's first outing).

There should be some Video's on Youtube of 2 of the Stock A-Finals (first two show John Painter who used your speedo's to finish second overall) and one B-Final (which I was in).
Carpetwars Vids on Youtube, More to come, My B-Final should be up within a couple of hours

Skiddins
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 05:53 AM   #428
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryHard
Hi Terry,

Used the TSX today... brilliant. Set it up with lowest drive frequency, on throttle profile 2, and 6% auto-roll, worked really well in stock. Very impressed... it even managed to survive a battery wire coming un-soldered and shorting it. Thought i'd lost it after only the first run, but having un-soldered all the wires, it sprung back into life Unfortuantly didn't work for my MX Pro... which I daftly reverse connected a battery with... opps :'( My fault, I'll be sending it back to you in the week for repair.

Cheers
Ed
So the 'main' profile is the throttle, and the 'Extended' profile is the frequency...right

Perhaps Terry can answer this ina bit more detail as I'm now starting to get confused.

Skiddins
RCDisco.co.uk
Old 02-06-2007, 06:29 AM   #429
Tech Champion

As I understand it yes, thats how it works.

The extended profile selection sets the frequency range (low, mid, high), the standard setting sets the throttle curve (punchy, linear, smooth).

Well done on the 13th... I was close, but not close enough
Old 02-06-2007, 06:46 AM   #430
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

very nice vids
thought jon painter & Elliot were really good together upto the 3 min mark in first leg,then jon got the short straw

good though

terry don`t need the TSX yet & i haven`t blown the other one either

woukld like to get a VX as a standby though terry

PT has not gone out yet ,when i`m ready to race again then i`ll get a couple of I-PT`s ltr
MR JOLLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 08:10 AM   #431
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hi Terry,

Hope your feeling better mate!

Still got the trusty MX Pro in the car which is going very well indeed. In 19t at the 2 day CW event i was using prog 3 (shoudl have tried prog 1 to get the extra grunt!) and managed to qual 5th in the A and finished 4th which i was pleased with (just missed out on a oversized novelty cheque though )

Ady Bidewell also put in a great performance and made the A, he had some bad luck in the finals though...all this and he doesn't even like carpet!

Looking to use the MX in the 5 cell brushed class at the Nats this year, hopefully it won't lose out to the brushless...has anyone had a chance to compare the two yet?

Thanks
Chris
Chrissy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 09:14 AM   #432
Tech Fanatic

Hi guys, thanks for your replies. Sorry I'm still trying to catch up with work so not had chance to write on forums and still wading through emails/PM's etc. I'm still not feeling 100% Chris, it really knocked me for six still struggling on now it's an effort buy hey.. enough of my troubles.

Apologies for not replying to everyones comments right now, Colin, Ed and Chris, I will reply when I get time.

Re Damian and the profiles question, I think there's a mix up understanding it properly! What you have are 6 profiles on the Pro. There's also the same 6 as on the Pro on the TSX (the 6 mid range profiles, 3 fixed and 3 variable) plus an additional 6 profiles with lower frequencies (3 fixed and 3 variable) but the same throttle curves, and also another 6 with higher frequencies (3 fixed and 3 variable) and again the same throttle curves.

Basically a profile has a throttle curve (punchy, linear or smooth) and a frequency response (fixed or variable) the only bit that changes on the TSX are the frequencies used for the lower and higher ranges, the throttle curves are the same as the Pro.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:33 AM   #433
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry_S
Hi guys, thanks for your replies. Sorry I'm still trying to catch up with work so not had chance to write on forums and still wading through emails/PM's etc. I'm still not feeling 100% Chris, it really knocked me for six still struggling on now it's an effort buy hey.. enough of my troubles.

Apologies for not replying to everyones comments right now, Colin, Ed and Chris, I will reply when I get time.

Re Damian and the profiles question, I think there's a mix up understanding it properly! What you have are 6 profiles on the Pro. There's also the same 6 as on the Pro on the TSX (the 6 mid range profiles, 3 fixed and 3 variable) plus an additional 6 profiles with lower frequencies (3 fixed and 3 variable) but the same throttle curves, and also another 6 with higher frequencies (3 fixed and 3 variable) and again the same throttle curves.

Basically a profile has a throttle curve (punchy, linear or smooth) and a frequency response (fixed or variable) the only bit that changes on the TSX are the frequencies used for the lower and higher ranges, the throttle curves are the same as the Pro.
I get it now, I think I had a 'can't see the wood for the tree's' moment.

Didn't realise I had to select Low mid or high profiles in Extended settings, then select which individual profile in the main settings.

Skiddins
RCDisco.co.uk
Old 02-09-2007, 03:36 AM   #434
Tech Master

Ok so I soldered the Power Cap.....

to the underside of the PCB like I had intended.

Seems like a silly question even as I type it, but I assume the voltage reading I get just putting the probes on the positive and negative wires of the Cap should not be measurably different (as far as a two decimal place volt meter is concerned anyway) to what is coming directly out of the battery right?
Mabuchi540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 09:18 AM   #435
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabuchi540
to the underside of the PCB like I had intended.

Seems like a silly question even as I type it, but I assume the voltage reading I get just putting the probes on the positive and negative wires of the Cap should not be measurably different (as far as a two decimal place volt meter is concerned anyway) to what is coming directly out of the battery right?
You don't need to be too concerned about measuring anything to do with the capacitor, it should work fine once soldered on and connected. As long as it's of the correct type (ultra low ESR) the same as supplied with the MX all will be well! It is however VERY important that BOTH leads are soldered on ok, because you will be connecting direct to the PCB pads for the small size in-built power cap (between the top and bottom circuit boards) if not connected (bad joint etc) there will be NO cap connected and the speedo will be damaged when used. The MX design has a replaceable built-in power capacitor, external schottky diode and replaceable wires/leads so they can be changed by the user. This does also mean being CAREFUL when soldering and ensure it's all done OK!! You have been warned!