R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-05-2006, 05:09 PM   #226
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I've just thought, of course you could choose to have no switch fitted at all then there's no wires to break. A few people choose this option when they order their custom built MX.

Regarding the brake options and launch control, the MX Pro as standard is very easy to set-up with only a single LED to worry about. It's been designed to be as simple to operate as possible and also to be as small as possible whilst maintaining an unbeatable MOSFET spec, 0.00025 Ohms and 1020A we know is impressive, if you're not convinced go find another ESC that's the same size or smaller with a spec anywhere near that of the MX Pro. Anyway to keep it a very small size and simple it meant that some of the non essential functions are going to be implemented with the future MX plug-in programmer options. As Andrew has shown it's possible to set up what you need and get around a lot things and as Simon says you can also make a bit of adjustment to your style.

Where radio_car_racer mentions being spoilt it's the in-built switch on our VX speed controllers he's talking about. The combined on/off switch and set-up button has it's advantages but it's a less flexible design option, with the MX they're both separate and can easily be replaced. The set-up button can even be extended via an extension lead to a more convenient position if your installation is tight for space and the MX can then easily be fitted on its base normal way up, on it's end or on either of its sides, this enables the widest choice of fitting options. Of course being a very small size (24x24x14mm) means it will fit in the tightest of spaces without any problems plus the optional external power cap can then also be fitted in where it's convenient. The MX does have a very high quality 'mini power cap' fitted below the connectors/posts which again we can help you out and fit a replacement should you ever need one.

Andrew mentions his MX decal/label is wearing, that's not a problem we can replace the label if his MX was returned to us for servicing. Generally there can be wear and tear on a ESC especially if it's cleaned after being out in gritty and dusty or wet conditions. It's all very abrasive on the poor label.. so don't worry get in contact with us and we'll sort it out for you. The other thing to remember is when out racing in all weathers take care when plugging in and unplugging the connectors, make sure they're kept grit free or else there could be abnormal wear - ensure the connectors are always a tight fit, if the plugs become loose replace them. We can supply them in sets of 3.
Terry_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 06:22 PM   #227
Tech Fanatic

Simon (F. Alonso) sent me a PM asking about power capacitors, so here's some more detailed info for MX users.

Simon asked if it's ok to use other power caps with the MX Pro. The answer generally is yes, others should work ok. He asked specifically about a Novak 4700uF 10V one and yes it will work well. However don't just fit any old electrolytic capacitor it has to be the correct type, ie ultra low ESR etc.

An external power capaicitor is 'optional but recommended' for the MX, even though there is one 'built in' (but still outside the sealed waterproof case) we do recommend that the external one supplied with the MX should be fitted.

Any small internal one is exactly that, 'small' and has a relatively low capacitance so a much larger one fitted externally helps a speed controller run much more efficiently. The same applies to an external schottky diode, it should be fitted direct on the motor if possible. The external power cap should also be fitted close to the ESC with short wires to maximise its effectiveness. The MX will run ok without either, they are not needed (unlike some other speed controllers) BUT the efficiency of the MX will be reduced without them, so as we recommend please fit them! It only takes a short time.. why lose valuable performance!!

Here are the three types we currently supply, <centre> the 1500uF 16V (supplied with the 9923/9924 MX Pro and 9925/9926 Custom MX Pro) <left> the optional 4700uF 10V and <right> the optional 5700uF 10V. All are supplied with their original manufacturers labelling/shrink intact and at a sensible price. If anyone needs a longer thinner shaped 4700uF 10V type to fit in an tight narrow position we can also supply a 'slim' alternative version.

Don't forget the white stripe is negative (-ve) on the power caps and the white band is positive (+ve) on the schottky diodes.
Attached Thumbnails
New MRT ESC-mrt-pcaps.jpg  
Old 01-07-2006, 12:35 AM   #228
Tech Apprentice

hi Terry_S,
I read in the manual , that there is or will be an option for a Heatsink and a fan for the speedo.... any information on this...

thanks
Harris
harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 05:13 PM   #229
Tech Fanatic

Hi Harris, nothing as yet other than the heatsink or fan will bolt on to the in-built heatsink. Heat shouldn't be a problem for the MX Pro it has a very good MOSFET spec, but an optional heatsink and fan will keep everything even more cool and look cool as well!!
Old 01-11-2006, 01:07 AM   #230
Tech Apprentice

thanks Terry....
Can you give me the Codes for the fan and the heatsink... and if you have a photo i will appreciated..
Here in Greece the Temp are very high and the motors very low...heheheh

thanks

Harris
harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 03:47 AM   #231
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

Hi Terry

just to let you know
nothing`s gone wrong yet in my hands
go faster orange is still `orange ` no fading .blue light is still `a blue` light

speedo`s been that good i have forgotten about it in the car (don`t have to worry about it`)
just have to worry about me driving instead
MR JOLLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 02:16 PM   #232
Tech Rookie

I can't get my MX working, all the steps to install have been followed but when i switch the TX on, then hold the setup button, then switch on the mx i get no beeps (as instructed in the manual) all i get is a constant flashing light with no response from the transmitter Any ideas?
jrc2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 02:33 PM   #233
Tech Regular

make sure all the endpoints are turned up on your transmitter. and that its connected to a motor . if that doesnt work, then contact mrt
agower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 03:15 AM   #234
Tech Rookie

I've set EPA to factory setting (100% on channel 2) and motor is connected with a schottky, but the light just flickers with no response from radio at all?
jrc2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 05:26 AM   #235
Tech Regular

no idea sorry. email mrt they are very helpful
agower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 05:39 AM   #236
imr
Tech Adept

are you keeping the transmitter very close to the car?
Put the transmitter away from the car and try, otherwise no other solution then contacting mrt
imr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 05:46 AM   #237
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to Merciless

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc2005
I can't get my MX working, all the steps to install have been followed but when i switch the TX on, then hold the setup button, then switch on the mx i get no beeps (as instructed in the manual) all i get is a constant flashing light with no response from the transmitter Any ideas?
I assume the servo is working ok ?? If not it's a radio / reciever problem.Might seem obviouse but it always pays to ask !!
Merciless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 07:19 AM   #238
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merciless
I assume the servo is working ok ?? If not it's a radio / reciever problem.Might seem obviouse but it always pays to ask !!
Except that the receiver gets its power from the ESC which could be a problem. Plus it could be different depending on what channel. You could always try putting the ESC receiver plug into channel 1 and seeing if it works with the steering level/wheel. It may be worth substituting parts to establish that the ESC is definately the problem.
ralph_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 01:01 PM   #239
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR JOLLY
Hi Terry

just to let you know
nothing`s gone wrong yet in my hands
go faster orange is still `orange ` no fading .blue light is still `a blue` light

speedo`s been that good i have forgotten about it in the car (don`t have to worry about it`)
just have to worry about me driving instead
Hi MR J thanks for the update, glad your go faster orange MX is still goin' fast!
Hope your driving is going good as well..
Old 01-22-2006, 01:17 PM   #240
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc2005
Hi JRC2005, I'm not sure if you still have a problem? If you have send me an email (to address in my sig line) or give us a call (tel no. in instruction manual) I assume you've checked the wiring is correct and made sure everything is plugged in properly, ie no bad connections anywhere. If it's all ok it should be working, however there are other possibilities to do with an 'error' flash..

If the constant flashing light is flashing fast then:

The MX Pro has built-in protection to prevent any permanent damage. The only irreversible damage that can occur to the internal circuitry of an MX is due to a reverse connection of the power wires. Any reverse connection is detected (and recorded) no matter how brief the reverse connection was.

After a reverse connection the LED on the MX will continuously display a fast flash indicating an 'error' (this will also happen if the positive (B+) wire is disconnected from the MX, it won't have caused permanent damage and will work again when the wire is reconnected) Note: the fast flash 'error' light is the same as displayed when the LED flashes to show that the radio has been set up incorrectly during 'radio setup'.

If your MX now just displays a fast flash ('error') when it's switched on it was reverse connected and you will need to send an email or call as I mentioned above.