R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-30-2005, 07:12 AM   #211
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Thanks Simon it's good to hear you're impressed, look forward to hearing how you get on. Any testing over here in the UK is in snow and ice at the moment so in the intense Australian heat it will be the opposite extreme in temperature!
Terry_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 07:37 AM   #212
Tech Regular

Thumbs up

i got the MRT Pro with corrally tubes from HarrisRC. Tried it last nite. Its every nice ESC. Very smooth and lots of punch. The drag brake works a charm.

Only thing i found, was that i have my EPA on my brake set at 50% - barely any brake as i have a one way, i dont think launch control can be activated, as it cannot sence it is braking enough..

I used to have a LRP Q2, i find the MRT is nicer and my LRP used to make my transponder light flicker when i turn the servos.
Doomah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 07:43 AM   #213
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to F. Alonso Send a message via Yahoo to F. Alonso

Yeh, I noticed that when reading the manual also. I like to control my brake settings from the EPA end also due to changing grip levels at the track, etc, so I think launch control may be more difficult to operate then also. The solution would be to just extend the EPA to 100 on the brake and use the MRT to limit the amount of brakes that will be applied. Not 100% ideal, but if launch control is useful to you, then its probably the way to go.

As I'm doing Modified, I'm not worried so much about the launch control though, as I've heard of people doing doughnuts off the start line with it on this thread. I must try it sometime!

XRAY | HPI | Hotbodies | Hobbies Australia | LRP Electronics | Futaba
F. Alonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 03:26 AM   #214
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomah
i got the MRT Pro with corrally tubes from HarrisRC. Tried it last nite. Its every nice ESC. Very smooth and lots of punch. The drag brake works a charm.

Only thing i found, was that i have my EPA on my brake set at 50% - barely any brake as i have a one way, i dont think launch control can be activated, as it cannot sence it is braking enough..

I used to have a LRP Q2, i find the MRT is nicer and my LRP used to make my transponder light flicker when i turn the servos.
if your using a ko vantage then try setting one of the buttons to full brake so that you hold that and full brakes are applied automatically, this way you can hold it for 4 seconds and the launch control gets activated. or you can set one adjustable pot pits to your brakes so you turn it up to full when your on the line hold brake full for 4 seconds and then turn the brake back down.

it is a good speed controller, have had mine for ages now and not had one problem, the only bad thing is that the mrt decal ontop of the speed controller is starting to wear out and fade.

apart form that no problems

terry: have you got any pictures of the optional high flow fan kit and external heatsinks that i can see?

thanks
agower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 07:22 AM   #215
V12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Good to see the MX Pro has arrived in Australia also. I think you will like it.
I canīt race at the moment but some things I noticed when using the MX at the last races.
The MX is very smooth, not only for forward but for brakes also. The different brake minimum setting really make a difference so I think there is no need for limiting the brake for less than 100%. Using the minimum at 0% is what I would try.
If using modified motors I think you really donīt need launch control. The MX is so powerful I think launch control could be too much then. But as the MX is so easy to programm trying the different settings donīt need much time and you will find a good setup very soon.
Old 12-31-2005, 07:59 AM   #216
Tech Addict

Quote:
The switch is also good quality (same as the Novaks if I'm not mistaken but without the orange clip thing) and the overall design of the unit is something to be proud of.
I guess I've been spoilt by the VX Pro's but IMHO the switch is the only part of the MX ESC which lets it down .

To small and fiddly and can't secure down to well even with my best double sided tape. But the ESC is the dogs dangly's

I'll be keeping my VX Pro's though to use in Buggy's
radio_car_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 08:12 AM   #217
Tech Regular

thats true, the switch is to small makes it very hard to fix down without using glue. apart from that its all good.

thumbs up to mrt an finally something decent thats cheaper in england $249 from harrisrc, england they cost about $150!
Old 12-31-2005, 08:23 AM   #218
V12
Tech Elite

Hmm, yes the switch is small but the quality is much better than most others.
If you donīt like the MRT switch you easily could replace with a switch from LRP or GM-Racing. These should be easier to secure down. But I think these are not water/dustproof like the MRT.

Last edited by V12; 12-31-2005 at 09:20 AM.
V12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 08:58 AM   #219
Tech Regular

true
Old 12-31-2005, 11:22 PM   #220
Tech Elite

The LRP/Nosram switches have got to be the worst thing ever made on such an expensive unit. They continuously break at the wire end and they are just weak. The one on the MRT (same as Novak I think) is much better I think.

Old 01-01-2006, 03:42 AM   #221
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by agower
thumbs up to mrt an finally something decent thats cheaper in england $249 from harrisrc, england they cost about $150!
Actually, their English retail price converted to au$ works out about the same.

Trust me, $249 is a very good price for a top line speedo in Australia - most of the competitors units retail for over $300
FIR#2 - "You can't buy this much talent"
Durango Dex410 - Schumacher Cougar SV - Top Photon
bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 05:22 AM   #222
V12
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Alonso
The LRP/Nosram switches have got to be the worst thing ever made on such an expensive unit. They continuously break at the wire end and they are just weak. The one on the MRT (same as Novak I think) is much better I think.
I just mentioned the LRP switch as itīs easier to fix on the chassis or whatever place because of the larger size of the switch. Also it was an idea for the guys having problems here. But yes the MRT switch is much better and Iīm sticking to this one..
Old 01-01-2006, 05:43 AM   #223
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by V12
I just mentioned the LRP switch as itīs easier to fix on the chassis or whatever place because of the larger size of the switch. Also it was an idea for the guys having problems here. But yes the MRT switch is much better and Iīm sticking to this one..
Yep Yep. I wasn't having a go, just saying what I thought of those. Just a thing I have against them thats all.

Old 01-02-2006, 02:21 AM   #224
Tech Elite

I ran the MRT MX Pro for the first time today. I initially had car handling problems which I resolved after a bit of testing, when I then focused more on the speed controller. The layout of the track I was testing was brand new so I don't have any times to compare with but the MRT felt like it had a lot of power and was extremely smooth. If anything, one could say that it was perhaps a little too smooth. I just used the setting recommended in the manual for Modified motors with the variable drive frequency (profile 6 I believe), but I think I could have made the speedy more aggressive. The initial punch was there for sure but a little bit more midrange punch could have been handy.

Probably the biggest thing that I needed to get used to was the lack of drag brake. Its something that I used quite a bit with the VFS-1 but it seems to be unavailable on the MRT. That is something which I would like to have had them implement, but you can certainly get around it with a bit of adjustment to your style.

I didn't try the launch control as I was a little scared to try to be honest, and its something I'd like to do on a gridded start at some point with some other cars as references.

I like the simplicity of the unit and the dust/water protection is great for keeping the unit clean and grit-free. Putting the MRT into my 415MSX was a breeze as it is the same size as the VFS-1 but with a much smaller switch which is very handy. Soldering the wires onto the speedy was a breeze also, and with it being the connectors version, that was not too much of a problem either. I direct solder my batteries/motors/esc so I have made it so that the wires/diode/cap won't be going anywhere. I will get some photos of it mounted in my car in the near future.

Overall I am very happy with the speedy in comparison to the previous speedy I had used, the VFS-1. I am hoping to do some more tests when racing gets started again for the year so that I will have some more feedback to you, but so far the results are good - smooooooooth.

Old 01-05-2006, 04:16 PM   #225
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hi Simon, Doomah, Andrew, V12, radio_car_racer and bender!

Sorry I've not been around for a while to answer questions and help out.

Re the switch supplied as standard on the MX Pro, it's a high quality switch that is in keeping with the MX design philosophy ie it's very small. We had to decide on a good all-round package with the normal MX Pro and appreciate it may not be exactly what everyone prefers in every detail, but we do offer custom options with a choice of switch being one example. We do try hard to give everyone exactly what they want.

Below is another high quality switch we have available it's slightly larger and is in fact the type of switch we fitted on our Vtrac range of ESC's. As V12 says it's possible to fit your own switch but we would suggest you make sure that the switch you use is reliable as we don't want anyone having switch failures by using inferior quality switches! As always if you don't trust your soldering we can help you out. Anyway here's the switch:
Attached Thumbnails
New MRT ESC-switch-785.jpg  
Terry_S is offline   Reply With Quote