R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-08-2011, 09:24 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Default limited slip setup

just a quick question about my ball diffs. I just installed them and I have set them up fairly tight but also loose enough so that it doesnt need a lot of force to turn the wheels. I did a quick test run with the car and i noticed that the motor can run even though the wheels are not spinning. Obviously i have to push the throttle to get to that point and the motor is 13300kv so there is plenty of power to make them slip.
Is it normal to have some amount of slip or have i configured them wrong?
omegaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:13 AM   #2
Tech Master

You don't want slipping under normal operation. If you can do some acrobatics with your hands, hold one wheel and the spur, then use the other hand to turn the other wheel (front and back done separatly). There should be a lot of resistance, but a small amount of slip.
When you hold the spur and rotate a wheel, the other wheel at the end of the car should rotate easily, without a "gritty" feeling.

My car just hit 88mph. I hope it comes back soon....
JR007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:55 AM   #3
Tech Adept

yep it works as you said. it doesnt have a gritty feeling. it rolls smoothly however the brushless motor has a bit of a "stepped" rotation so it clicks as it rotates a bit but that is definitely not the diffs.

i just realised after my first run that a 13300kv motor is a bit too much for realistic use. i had the car in my hand and i give it full power and it blew one tyre off the rim. i gotta glue it back now
they were brand new set of wheels too
Old 02-08-2011, 11:55 AM   #4
Tech Master

If the tire blew off the rim it's very, very likely to have the inner belt broken. All 4 tires go the trash. Sorry.

Expensive lesson but a lesson learned nonetheless : Never pull the trigger to max with a decently powerful motor. All it does is ruin the motor bearings prematurely, maybe break the magnet and of course its makes you ruin 4 brand new tires.

Old 02-08-2011, 12:16 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaf View Post
I had the car in my hand and i give it full power and it blew one tyre off the rim. i gotta glue it back now
they were brand new set of wheels too
Don't do that. It can hurt the car.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:21 PM   #6
Tech Adept

yea i kinda figured. the entire chassis shakes, screws come loose and generally the thing looks like it is about to blow up. All that at only 20% throttle on the remote. i think i need loctite for the screws and glue for the tyres.
if the car shakes like this at 20% then there is no way it can do 100% on a track. for starters it will be impossible to control with the tyres blowing up and the vibrations would probably make the whole thing jump. i may need to add ballast somewhere.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:50 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaf View Post
If the car shakes like this at 20% then there is no way it can do 100% on a track. for starters it will be impossible to control with the tyres blowing up and the vibrations would probably make the whole thing jump. i may need to add ballast somewhere.
Without anything acting on the wheel, the centrifugal forces will cause the tire to separate from the rim. This is why your tire blew out. It also explains the violent vibrations from the chassis and why you should never handle a car while on throttle.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:30 AM   #8
Tech Adept

i understand that, however the wheels are not balanced. only one wheel blew out and it was one that was not rotating straight. the others are fine although the tyres balloon under the torque. i think i have a defective rim or something.
i will try to glue the tyre back on and see what happens.
logic tells me that those vibrations will exist even when the car is rolling and will make it behave oddly.
there is an insane amount of torque steering when i try it on my floor but then again traction is quite poor here. i am driving it at 20% though so i am guessing that with better traction it will be fine with 20% but no way 100%
Old 02-09-2011, 01:19 PM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

13300kv is definitely WAY too high. On 1S that's pushing 50k RPM at full throttle, and on 2S nearing 100k. And only being able to throttle up to between 0-20% means you are losing 80% of the resolution and throttle control you could have. Even a motor with half that kv rating will give you more speed than you probably need.

You should run your numbers through this speed calc, I bet you will find you are geared for like 100 mph, LOL!

http://www.scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/top_speed.html
Old 02-09-2011, 01:52 PM   #10
Tech Adept

without knowing the end drive for the diffs, i know that spur and pinion are 19t and 61t so not too bad. i am using NiMH so it hits around 80k rpm on full throttle. i am at 88mph if we believe that link.

Last edited by omegaf; 02-09-2011 at 02:05 PM.