R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-07-2011, 11:01 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Post South Australian OutDoor Drift Track

Hi All,
this a thread that I have started, to show the progress of my personal 'Drift Track' construction.
I live 3hrs away from Adelaide and own my property. 3hrs is too far to travel and I am not travelling that distance to go drifting every day.

I have a vacant block of land, attached to the rear of my property and I also own that block. It has been getting used for nothing over the past 4 years, so I spoke to my partner about constructing our own 'Drift Track'. She took some persuading, but finally warmed to the idea [providing she can have some garden space in it]. We reached a compromise, rather than having an 'Elevated track' [my first design] we agreed to keep the track flat and make it broad enough for the kids to ride their bikes around on, when I'm not drifting lol.

The area that I have planned for track measures roughly 15mW x 24mL.
Entire length of track??? The track will be constructed with concrete and will finished off [not fully polished] to allow for some grip.

When the track is finished, I will be opening it up to those, that live out near Peterborough and will hopefully hold some small 'RC Drift Comps' here also.
Everyone will be invited to come to my Grand Opening Day, but I don't expect everyone to show up lol. All are welcome to attend my track any time.

Well, here's my latest design.
First image shows the vacant block. Second image shows the basic design and planned size of the track. Keep in mind, that the scale of the track is far from right, but it gives you all a good idea of what I am planning. The scale of the block is exactly as it shows and no mods were made to the original photo. Construction is planned to start in about 1 Week
LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK

I'm open to suggestion and constructive feedback, but sarcasm and insults WILL NOT, be tolerated in my thread.

I have measured up the area and it is 14.5mW X 26.7mL. I would like to allow roughly 2m around the sides for walkways etc, so area to be used fro the Track construction will be 10.5mW X 22.7mL. The Track will now be revised and will most likely be a different layout. I would like to keep it basically the same, but it will be changed.

CHEERS for reading,
Dave

Last edited by DK2B; 02-08-2011 at 02:51 AM.
DK2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 02:54 AM   #2
Tech Apprentice

Thumbs up

I have now revised the track, made width to as close to the real scale as I am able to.

Could anyone give me some constructive feedback please?

Last edited by DK2B; 02-08-2011 at 04:18 AM.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:23 AM   #3
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default track design

Hi mate , try and copy an actual fullscale drift track , at least u will know that it flows well.....

Im not a Drifter as such although we have both have cars , but have been involved in the design and building of AERCCC twice , keep it simple ..

regards Mark M

Associated TC6 now like a shark * Reedy * ProAmps * Hobbywong * Thunderpower

McKune Design FGX * F201 carbon * F103GT Jaguar XJS14 niiice * T.O.P F1 coming soon
Yokojojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 04:37 AM   #4
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yokojojo View Post
Hi mate , try and copy an actual fullscale drift track , at least u will know that it flows well.....

Im not a Drifter as such although we have both have cars , but have been involved in the design and building of AERCCC twice , keep it simple ..

regards Mark M
Thanks for the feedback Mark, much appreciated.

I actually did have that idea as well, but didn't want appear to be copying/stealing others ideas
Is this new design of mine simple enough? or should I revise it further?

I do quite like the layout myself, but I am no genius when it comes to designing Drift Tracks and am grateful for any input

Who knows, if I gather up many ideas from many members, I may create something that is 'World Standard' lol......... could only wish!!
Old 02-08-2011, 05:48 AM   #5
Tech Champion

although it would be more costly, you could have a strip of concrete instead of just the track design, to allow you much more flexability in track design, you could then have any track you wanted with the right track markers.

just an idea, maybe your heart is already set on your track design though

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:44 AM   #6
Tech Apprentice

Questions?? Re-revised

Hi All,
I went away and started doing some thinking and a brilliant idea came to me. This idea came to me after Mark made the comment to copy a Full Scale Drift Track.

Well Hey........... what a brilliant idea..... I could copy and create a 'Mini Mallala' When the thought popped into my head, I instantly begun working on the design and this is what I have so far

COMMENTS??

Old 03-22-2011, 01:48 AM   #7
Tech Rookie

Dude first of. That is one of the most amazing things I've ever seen! You totally have to post some pictures up =)
second. My mate and I have been drifting now for around a month, an we go to Hobby Habit on Daws Road, an there really isn't many drifters that come it's a bit annoying =\ and the 'drift' nights they have for competiting, is just all cars on the track at once and it's a race, first to cross the line first wins...really not a fan. Actually really want to do real drifting!
Also. Any ideas how you're going to make the track? Are you going to make red/white curbing like real racing? Also, how wide is the track going to be? I'd say around 4-5 car widths would be enough for drifting along, but that's just me! Let me know how your project is going, take it easy!

Regards, Defepona
defepona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:09 AM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (92%+)

Needs more S turns, for some switch back action, or as they say in the real drift world, Clipping points or Transitions.

I would put in at least 2 after the 1st J turn on the South West part or bottom right part of the track!
Old 03-22-2011, 09:00 AM   #9
Tech Apprentice

Hi All,
apologies to all, for delayed replies, I been caught up with the new bubs and other projects.

I'd like to say firstly, that I appreciate all the input so far.

I haven't made a decision on final track layout yet. I have a few ideas, but they are just that at the moment. The track surface will be smooth concrete. It wont be polished as I need it to remain outdoor, so it will just be finished as smooth as we can get it. I will eventually add some soft barriers and other aditions around the track later, but first things first. [the track ]
The track will be somewhere between 1m - 1.2 mtrs in width and we'er talking an area of 14.5mW X 26.7mL, so laods of room to play with.

Below is a list of my current ideas and now is your time to vote
Simply reply with your pick eg Track Idea ? and any other suggestions as to improvements.

Here are my current designs:

Track Design 1 [My Own Design]

Track Design 2 [Mini Australia]

Track Design 3 [Mini Adelaide]

Track Design 4 [Mini Mallala]

Last edited by DK2B; 03-28-2011 at 11:08 PM.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:10 PM   #10
Tech Apprentice

Thumbs up Planning!!

Still in the Planning and Design phase at the moment.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Old 05-23-2011, 08:25 AM   #11
Tech Apprentice

Hi All,
I've come up with what I consider to be my final plan. I have drawn from some points that I have seen in the 'Korean Track' and have personalised the rest. I too, am planning a raised section on my track [the horse shoe to the top left]

All that I gotta do now, is survey it and calculte the are required to complete it. I have most of the materials on standby already, so once we are over winter construction should be on the go

Ideas and comments are greatly accepted

Tags
comp, country, drift, racing, track