R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-17-2004, 11:37 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice

My first race coming up, battery question

I am gonna be particiapting in my first touring car race this weekend with my TC3. I have a couple questions.

1. How many laps is the average Novice race?

2. I am using 2400 Stick Pack batteries, Ni-Cd, is this gonna last long enough for each race, I dont wanna die close to the end? I have 4 of them.
Galactik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 11:43 AM   #2
Tech Regular

1. That depends entirely on your track size. Since I started racing in Febuary, we have tried 4 different layouts on our track with numbers of laps ranging from 16 to 27.

2. I would think they would last long enough. Are you running 4 minute races or 5? At my track we run 4 minutes on oval and 5 minutes on touring.
new92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 02:18 PM   #3
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to onebeatuptc3

i would just make sure your batteries are charged (i run a corally 2000mah pack, lasts me the whole main and then some). At rpm speedway in casselberry, fl its like 22 laps on average or so with 5 minute mains.
onebeatuptc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 02:29 PM   #4
Tech Adept

If you follow this advice, your 2400's should easily make the race (and so will your car).

Gear down, on purpose, to make your car a little slower. You're not going to win your first race out, and you're probably going to do your fair share of crashing and bumping. It's OK... we all started out at our first club race that way. If your car is a little slower, that will be a good thing - you'll have more control over it.

Speaking of which, you may also wish to "limit" your steering throw a little. Most cars have more steering capability than they can legitimately use; too much steering is a bad thing, as it causes you to oversteer and "push" around the corners, which is a subtle "out of control" maneuver. Probably the most common rookie mistake is oversteering - going lock to lock around every corner. Look at the fast guys at your track - there steering is very smoooooooth.

Speaking of the fast guys, try to hook up with one or more of them (as long as they are A: Friendly and B: Not busy.) They can help you make your car handle better and get the right setup for the track conditions. Many of the nicer ones will also help you out if you break something or need suggestions for tires/motors, etc.

Go out and practice - but if your car is handling poorly (pushing, understeering, oversteering, etc.) or if it handles differently in one direction than the other (is "tweaked") - stop driving, get off the stand, and get someone to help you figure it out. Don't fight the car.

Anyway, best of luck with the first race. Enjoy, and remember that we're all just playing with toy cars out there.

sixandeightstri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 02:37 PM   #5
Tech Apprentice

Thanx guys, I really appreciate the info.

I am gonna head to the track a few times this week to practice up and to time my packs to make sure I can get 5+ min to make sure.

Again, thanx.
Old 08-17-2004, 02:55 PM   #6
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to onebeatuptc3

forgot to ask, what kind of charger are you gonna be using and what kind of radio? Also, is your track going to be carpet, concrete, or asphalt?
onebeatuptc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 03:04 PM   #7
Tech Apprentice

It is asphalt.

I am using a Dynamite Max Peak charger.

Airtronics BlazerSport controller.

EDIT:

I also built a discharger with bulbs to help keep batteries good.

Last edited by Galactik; 08-17-2004 at 03:11 PM.