R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-16-2004, 06:38 PM   #1
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to DOMOisCOOL Send a message via AIM to DOMOisCOOL Send a message via Yahoo to DOMOisCOOL
Default Cleaning Metal Shielded Bearings...

I'm about to rebuild my car this weekend for the upcoming Sunday race. I thought i'd clean the bearings as well. I have a Pro 4 and the bearings are metal sheilded. How would I go about cleaning these? Is WD40 safe for cleaning it?
DOMOisCOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 06:55 PM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

There has been tons of threads about cleaning bearings.
First WD is not a cleaning agent it is an oil.
The best way i have found is to place all bearings in a old 35mm film canister, half fill with lighter fluid/shellite and shake away, repeat process until shellite comes out clean (about 2-3 times usually), put one drop of light bearing oil into each bearing and install.
Old 08-16-2004, 11:22 PM   #3

Send a message via ICQ to Calvin Ng

i throw them into acestone and spin them around really good.

i dunno if this is an awesome way but i do it
Calvin Ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 11:38 PM   #4
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Dishwashing detergent(dawn/parmolive) works well, flush with water and blast out with motor spray. Just make sure you get all the water out of the bearings with motor spray. Light oil(Trinity royal oil) and your set.
fatdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 09:36 AM   #5
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rcguy2477

I just make a mixture of soap and water, and attach it to my compressor and blast out the dirt from my bearings. After that, i spray them down with wd40 to get all the water off. I than blow the bearing with a compressor to get the wd40 off, and put some lube in them.
greddy t04b, megasquirt ecu, PlX wideband, 12x28x3 fmic, 50mm hks clone wg, ssqv bov, Safc, ss oil lines, walbro fuel pump, tubo intake manifolds, ssac exhaust manifold, 3" dp, 550cc primary/720cc secondary injectors, etc.
rcguy2477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 08:58 PM   #6
Suspended

Quote:
Originally posted by Besercoe
There has been tons of threads about cleaning bearings.
First WD is not a cleaning agent it is an oil.
The best way i have found is to place all bearings in a old 35mm film canister, half fill with lighter fluid/shellite and shake away, repeat process until shellite comes out clean (about 2-3 times usually), put one drop of light bearing oil into each bearing and install.

WD-40 is not oil, it's a light grade lubricant. I would use something a little thicker. The best way I have found to clean and lube them is by using the tip of a #11 blade (X-Acto) to remove the metal clip and shield. Clean the bearing properly, apply the lubricant and put the shield and clip back in the bearing. I recently started using a product called "Reel Saver". It's designed for use in fishing reels, but works extremely well in any bearings in any situation. The kit that I bought has both oil and grease. The grease is light in weight, has a high teflon content and can withstand extremely high and low temperatures. Give it a try.
tmeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 01:34 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

You need to remove the shields with an x-acto or a needle. Check HERE for how to do it, it's in French but the pictures should be enough.

Use brake cleaning spray cans... you have both the liquid and the pressure. Then lubricate with a light oil. Any light full-scale motor oil does the trick just fine, and you get a quart for the same price as you'd pay for two ounces of supposedly "RC special" lube.

Paul

The train stops at the train station. The bus stops at the bus station. In my office I have a workstation.
Lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 09:35 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (89%+)

remove the bearing shields then use a good cleaner spray to get rid of the old grease and dirt from the bearings (i use either the Tamiya Cleaner spray or the Magnum Force2)... as for re-oiling the bearings, i use the bearing oil of Tamiya... dont oil the bearings too much cause the excess oil will just seep out of the bearings and just attract more dirt onto the bearings...