R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-04-2011, 12:01 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default VHt application suggestions

Hey guys I got a question I recentally became track director for the local asphalt track. As of now we go through 2-3 backpack sprayers in a season.
Is there a better method of applying vht to asphalt?

Part of the tripod
cliferton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:03 PM   #2
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliferton View Post
Hey guys I got a question I recentally became track director for the local asphalt track. As of now we go through 2-3 backpack sprayers in a season.
Is there a better method of applying vht to asphalt?
Sprayers work well. You just need to dilute it a bit with methanol. About 50/50 is good for getting really high traction. Dilute it a bit more if you want to save some money and still get decent grip.
wingracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:14 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

That's how we do it. Just looking for an alternative to the backpack sprayer because of how it wears it out so quick like I said the club goes through 2-3 backpack sprayers during 1 season

Part of the tripod
Old 02-04-2011, 12:16 PM   #4
Tech Fanatic
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Just make sure that you're cleaning them out immediately afterwards. I've also heard that you can spray some Royal Purple (?) through them after you're done and it helps keep them from gumming up.
Serzoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:39 PM   #5
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to HarryLeach

What are you using to flush the sprayers out at the end of the day?

As said before, VHT will gum things up, and methanol will corrode aluminum.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:02 PM   #6
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

You need to dilute it.....we used 60/40 at my track, but I've seen up to 70/30 (methanol/vht)....

As for sprayers.....you got two options, be lazy......and just buy a new one when it stops working or, go through a VERY through cleaning regimine every time you are done. We used mineral spirits to eat it away, but I know others used acetone or denatured alcohol....it's a messy dangerous process.

If you want to make a lot of friends, spray way too much coming out of a sharp corner, where amp draw is nutty......ESC shutdown will happen after a few laps....everyone will love you.

Later EddieO
Old 02-04-2011, 02:19 PM   #7
Tech Fanatic

ok i just got off the phone with the club prez. last season we went through 5 sprayers at $100 each. After a 50/50 vht/meth mix was sprayed on the track simple green was put into the sprayer sprayed and then left to sit with some still in it.

Now am I wrong or is it not a great idea to let something like simple green to sit in a sprayer? won't it mess the sprayer up.

question
royal purple as in the performance liquids for cars or purple power as in eats grease?

IDK this is my first time dealing with this. Ive sprayed the track before but thats about it, Its just seems that it can be done without 500 worth of sprayers every season

Part of the tripod
Old 02-04-2011, 02:33 PM   #8
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to HarryLeach

Seeing as how simple green is water based, I can't see this as being a good idea either. Mineral spirits will de-gunk the vht and provide a little protection against corrosion.

A thorough flush with straight methanol [saved to use in the next mix] should work fairly well, followed by some marvel's mystery oil as a preservative for any aluminum bits in the sprayer.

What stops working on the sprayer, the pump [seals gone out] or the sprayer valve and/or nozzle[gummed up/corroded]?

If the pump goes out, the seals are getting tore up by methanol, and might be rebuildable with nitrile seals if you can get it apart.

If the valve/nozzle goes out, build your own with stainless steel bits.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:02 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 138 (100%+)

$100!? What kinda sprayers are you buying?!
I picked up a chemical sprayer for the lawn from
A hardware store or home depot for $15. Fill it
With soda or methanol/vht.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:06 PM   #10
Tech Fanatic

not sure what brand but they are backpack sprayers, but I did just do a bit of shopping and harbor freight seems to have a 4 gallon backpack sprayer for 29.99 I think we will give those a try (One Stop Gardens 4 Gallon Backpack Sprayer)

so this is what i'm thinking
$29.99 sprayer
50/50 spray mix
then spray mineral spirits through it (how much?)
flush with meth

whAT ABOUT THE OIL THING SPRAY A LITTLE THROUGH LAST TO GET A THIN FILM ON ALL THE ALLY?

Part of the tripod

Last edited by cliferton; 02-04-2011 at 03:23 PM.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:01 PM   #11
avs
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliferton View Post
not sure what brand but they are backpack sprayers, but I did just do a bit of shopping and harbor freight seems to have a 4 gallon backpack sprayer for 29.99 I think we will give those a try (One Stop Gardens 4 Gallon Backpack Sprayer)

so this is what i'm thinking
$29.99 sprayer
50/50 spray mix
then spray mineral spirits through it (how much?)
flush with meth

whAT ABOUT THE OIL THING SPRAY A LITTLE THROUGH LAST TO GET A THIN FILM ON ALL THE ALLY?
you werent' specific about what you meant by 'wearing out', ie: clogging, rusting or corroding/metail disappearing. VHT is like glue or epoxy when it hardens, so it is best to flush it out. methanol is corrosive so it is best to empty it out. a little oil seems like it wouldn't hurt. from what i have seen the worst stuff for clogging pumps and sprayers is the MMR 'water base' traction stuff (its more like roofing tar), it is essential to flush the system after spraying. certainly makes sense to put some clean methanol in the sprayer and then spray it back out into a extra container. just make sure to leave the sprayer empty and let it air dry in pieces before putting in storage.

it sounds like you aren't emptying the tank after use. i could see how people want to spray and then just get out on the track, but it really helps to just flush and empty the spayer.

its perfect when you have just set up the track and people are waiting to go out and you are sitting there cleaning out the clogged sprayer instead of spraying the track.