R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-01-2006, 04:25 PM   #2056
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrik
Oh--they make money on upgrades if they charge us for same. I'm certainly not opposed to paying some reasonable amount to do so.

As far as mapping--that SHOULD be upgradeable depending on how the memory is stored. I'd be surprised if it isn't. I'm not entirely clear if this is really a change (re: mapping) for those of us who do our own programming or if it's a matter of they changed the default map wrt new batteries and motors. Some clarification from those who are "in the know" would certainly be helpful--thus far all I've seen is re-stating KO's press release info.

Scottrik
when KO switched from the VFS-2000 to the VFS-1... the drive frequency for stage 1 changed dramatically. stage 1 on the VFS-2000 was a lower drive frequency and provided for more punch.

SINCE japan races for 8 mins, they didnt need as much punch. thus the VFS-1 was remapped. and stages were increased from 32 stages to 64. this gave a smoother feeling to the throttle profiles while giving more efficiency.

now with the 2nd revision, the remapping again will change. they have changed it because todays batteries provide for a lot more voltage in certain applications (batteries for stock, batteries for mod. voltage vs. runtime). motors are a lot hotter, etc..... we wont know for sure until the esc has been released and a comparison has been done for the drive frequencies. somewhere on this thread i created an xls spreadsheet and converted it into a PDF. it compares the different drive frequencies at each stage for the two escs (VFS-2000 and VFS-1).

be rest assured, Ko made the adjustment to accomodate the newest batch of motors, and batteries.

i will bug my "source" once the new ESCs arrive here. i cant believe no one is excited about the USB based adapter? now thats cool!
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 04:38 PM   #2057
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 245 (100%+)

OK Hebiki,

As clearly as I can ask, are the "drive frequencies" to which you refer the elements/steps we CAN program in? Is this a case of the default map being different but we (with programmers) can change our Comp's to if we would wish to do so? Or are the actual "steps" we call up fundamentally different in some fashion?

If they are fundamentally different it seems it would be an onboard software issue--will we be able to upgrade our Comp's to Comp 2 spec?

Yes, I'm fairly stoked about the USB adapter. I'd be even MORE stoked if a) it was here, and b) anybody at KO-USA could give more of a rip than tell me "watch Shopatron". I mean come on, I've got three of your controllers, a similar number of your servos--seems like I'm a legit "customer" and am merely seeking to spend more of my hard-earned money on KO products...

Scottrik
Scottrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 07:25 PM   #2058
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to rcnewb2004

I know the vfs-1 pro comp can pwm at a certain range of frequencies, if the frequency range is to change, then i think the chances of an upgrade is low because that maybe limited by the FETs the cpu inside the vfs-1pro comp (unless this thing is more programmable than i understand it to be).

I just want to know how much "better" will this pro comp 2 actually be.. when compared to the pro comp 1.

I have trouble fully understanding how the change in frequencies give the motor more punch... if anyone has a good website... post here... i cannot link concepts of torque, rpm, modulated frequencies, voltage, current together.
rcnewb2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 07:28 PM   #2059
Tech Master

And yes, i am excited about this usb adaptor, but i already spent $50CDN to get this stupid adaptor...
Old 11-01-2006, 08:10 PM   #2060
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I don't work at KO, but I'm pretty sure that the FETs are physically identical between the two VFS-1 models.
XrayFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 06:06 AM   #2061
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Need help please fast!

Hi Guy's
I need your help fast please, I have a ko propo VFS-1 pro. I need to get a Ultimate condener fast. The problem is there is none in Oz at the moment. Can I buy one from a electronic store to suite the ESC. If so can someone please give me some details of it to ask the salesperson.
Any help would be great.
Thanks
Addam
Wing Chun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 06:29 AM   #2062
Tech Elite

Default question on connecting 7.2v KO Servo

hey guys... we got some of the comp 2's comming. we currently run LRP comp2's with the FET lead comming off the servo...... so does the VFS have that same lead coming off the ESC????

if not where do we get the 7.2v from for the servo???? off the switch????

Thanks,
MAD916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 09:37 AM   #2063
Tech Apprentice

You connect the extra servo wire to the + side of the main battery (at the speedo + lug is fine). You are supposed to run a choke (which should have come with the servo) between the servo and the + side of the battery.

James
Yankey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 12:05 PM   #2064
Tech Elite

Thanks Yankey... got it..... yep have the choke installed on the LRP...
MAD916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 06:48 PM   #2065
Tech Master

Hi Guys
Is it okay to use these condensor's with my Ko propo VFS-1 and my 1200F
2200uf 25v
4700uf16v
2200uf16v

The 2200 uf 25v, I have 4 of these.
Can someone please tell me if any or all of these are okay to use on my ESC.
Also can one of you wonderful gent's please tell me what the condensor actually does.
Thanks in advance
Addam
Old 11-06-2006, 02:15 AM   #2066
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRFMAD
Hi Guys
Is it okay to use these condensor's with my Ko propo VFS-1 and my 1200F
2200uf 25v
4700uf16v
2200uf16v

The 2200 uf 25v, I have 4 of these.
Can someone please tell me if any or all of these are okay to use on my ESC.
Also can one of you wonderful gent's please tell me what the condensor actually does.
Thanks in advance
Addam
Hi,

2200uf 25V should do just fine.
The capacitor acts as a reservoir of voltage. We you accelerate the battery can't always keep up so you get a dip in voltage supplied to the ESC. The capacitor smooths out that dip. The bigger the cap, the more it will smooth out the dip but at the cost of weight.
flashvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 03:13 AM   #2067
Tech Master

i believe the 4700uf 16v is also ok in this case.
Old 11-06-2006, 04:09 AM   #2068
Tech Master

Thank's again guy's
You are the best.
Addam
Old 11-06-2006, 04:51 PM   #2069
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRFMAD
Thank's again guy's
You are the best.
Addam
cpl of question i like to get the new vfs-1 but is it hard to set up for stock/carpet
2.should i get the package with the programmer plse lve info thxs reggie
Old 11-06-2006, 09:06 PM   #2070
Tech Master

Hey tc3 racer sc,

I am a vfs-1 owner (so u see me here a lot giving bs advice )

The physical and throttle position setup of this device is no harder than that of another esc.

The actual programming part is slightly more difficult, and will require the handheld programming device or a computer<-->esc cable.
Without the programming device, most of the powers of this esc locked away. This esc is one of the greatest on the market because of its high performance+customability. You can adjust the "Feel" of the car very well using this esc. Therefore, I would 100% recommend that you get the handheld programming device. However, given a choice, I would actually recommend adjusting your speed controller on computer through an interface cable (if dragging a laptop around with you is ok). One small reminder is that the computer interface cable has a "db-9" serial adapter therefore you may also need to get a "db-9" serial adapter, or get the usb adapter that is offered by KO.

I hope that helps.

Happy Racing.

Patrick