R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-15-2004, 01:58 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Default Who will win? A car w/ a transponder mounted on the bumper or...

Let's say a car1 has the personal transponder mounted on the bumper and car2 has it mounted towards the middle of the car and they both cross the finish line at the same time, a virtual deadheat! So who wins? Can somebody explain? Thanks.
Kenshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 02:01 PM   #2
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to DaNieL_KuO

i guess car 1??
DaNieL_KuO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 02:10 PM   #3
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to Switch Blade

I believe that at roar events, it doesnt matter which car's transponder picks up first, it matters which persons car crosses the line first...under your circimstance, idk...thats a good question
Old 08-15-2004, 02:37 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to GundamWZero Send a message via Yahoo to GundamWZero Send a message via Skype™ to GundamWZero

the sensor of the autocounter will pick up the transponder that is emitting its signal first. If the transponder is located in the front, it will register that first. The transponder that is in the middle will not register to the autocounter because it hasn't reached it proper transmitting point. the car with the transponder up front will win.

‎"We fight not because we hate what's in front of us...
We fight to protect whats behind us."
GundamWZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 03:10 PM   #5
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to onebeatuptc3

you are also forgetting the people who watch the race too. Even tho they have a transponder, they also use visual. So if its clear that the car with the transponder in the middle is in front, and the car with the transponder happens to be up to the door, yet the upfront transponder is picked up first, they would say the car upfront still won.
onebeatuptc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 03:22 PM   #6
Tech Addict

It also depend where the pick-up loop is located. If it is on a bridge 6-12 inches above & accross the finishline, it could report an identical time for both because the pick-up loop will have a wider range to detect the tranponder signal. But if it is just several inches(2-4) below/underground or just underneat the carpet/cement , the car with transponder in the bumper will have about a tenth of a second ahead of the car with a different transponder location. It happened at the Novak Invitaional not too long ago with no less than Josh Cyrul involved in the same situation. His car appear to cross the finishline ahead of the other car but the transponder timing says otherwise. I don't know the exact story. I maybe wrong. I stand to be corrected.

Henry E.
jeepnyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 03:54 PM   #7
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to crACkeD ChaSsiS Send a message via Yahoo to crACkeD ChaSsiS
Default upfront

from wat ive seen its always been with the transponder mounted upfront.!
crACkeD ChaSsiS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 04:05 PM   #8
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to SalvadoriRacing Send a message via Skype™ to SalvadoriRacing

the transponder which cross the line first must be the winner....

if you have the tranponder mounted forward when you cross the finish line your whole car has to pass through the line, the advantage is only for the last lap, but during the race each time you complete a lap your car is behind the finish line and you loose this time to pass the car through the line, but on the last lap fighting head-to-head against other car the forwarded transponder will win!

O.S. Engines - KM RACING - CONTACT TYRES - SAVOX - LRP - ARC | Blitz | Titan
SalvadoriRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 06:38 PM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

If the lap counter gives identical times for the two cars, down to the thousandth of a second, then the #2 car SHOULD be the winner. Since his transponder is farther back, more of his car was across the line ahead of the other car, giving him a 'finish by a nose'. In reality, its a hard call. Unless there is a good video camera filming the finish line. Unless the two cars cross the line in a tumbling wreck, the track officials should call the race based either on the video replay, or if there is none, by the transponder positions.

I actually witnessed a finish like that. At the Norcar Halloween race last fall, Cyrul and Dumas (I think it was Dumas, my applozies if I remember wrong) crossed the finish line in 1/12th Mod in a tumbling wreck. Josh was ahead, but dumping coming down the straight, and Dumas ran into him as they were just about at the line. J-Lap gave identical times for both. I don't believe there was a camera watching the finish line, or if there was, it was inconclusive. Both cars had transponders in about the same place. After some discussion among the track officials, and with both drivers, it was deceided to declare them both co-winners.
Stealth_RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 07:18 PM   #10
Tech Addict

If the clocks starts as the cars go through the start/finish line, wouldn't the time be the deciding factor?

It doesn't matter where the PT is, since it's in the same location on the car each and every lap. Thus, the car with the most laps in the shortest [fastest] time should win, right?

Visuals deciding the winner because of the spectators is limited; you have a car a lap down and he comes across first when the time limit is up but yet, the guy finishing the last lap started before the time elapsed gets second?

Interesting [I may just keep up with this and see its course run]!
Tom G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 08:02 PM   #11
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to =MisFitz= NuKe Send a message via Yahoo to =MisFitz= NuKe

I dont know about you guys. But I mount my personal transponder in the rear bumper!!!

Sorry, I just had too.
=MisFitz= NuKe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 08:10 PM   #12
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to JohnMatrix

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom G
If the clocks starts as the cars go through the start/finish line, wouldn't the time be the deciding factor?

It doesn't matter where the PT is, since it's in the same location on the car each and every lap. Thus, the car with the most laps in the shortest [fastest] time should win, right?

True but thats for time trials not heads up start.

On the heads up start the master clock is the same for everyone.

Car one would win cause the comp says so, I really couldnt see a situation that the comp would be over ridden.

The reason why is, you cant trust ppl's eyes and unless you had video tape atop the bridge and a line drawn in on the ground to mark the Start, you could over turn the comp.
JohnMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 08:39 PM   #13
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by =MisFitz= NuKe
I dont know about you guys. But I mount my personal transponder in the rear bumper!!!

Sorry, I just had too.
Your killing me LMAO
Old 08-15-2004, 08:41 PM   #14
Tech Addict

So in a heads up start, the clock starts at the same tiem for eeryone? If so, then I agree.

Thanks for the lesson [only club raced so far and have seen the timer start as the first start/finish line cross through has been made].

^5
Old 08-15-2004, 08:45 PM   #15
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to JohnMatrix

Exactly, most A Mains are heads up which equals clock starting at the same time. Other wise why do we time trial. To be in the front of the pack.
JohnMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote