Search
Like Tree2Likes

Best setup board

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 11:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Slapmaster6000
Hmmm .... maybe another product in the Slapmaster Tool line up?

The hollow honey comb c/f set up board with filled edges for the savvy weight conscious traveler?
Yes Please!
Old 02-02-2011, 12:17 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default Sweet

Originally Posted by Quante
Never heard of the unity tools setup board have you??
Perfect for a pan car, but a bit on the pricy side.

http://www.12thscale.info/content/view/24/
This is awsome, Do you think this works for Off-Road also, Short course truck, 1/10 scale buggies, 1/8 scale even?
Old 02-02-2011, 12:34 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

The hollow honey comb c/f set up board with filled edges for the savvy weight conscious traveler?
I'd be standing in line Brian.

Right now Brandon's board is winning. Could have CRC and Slapmaster pasted across it for the Carpet Nats. Wonder if it could have rollouts for both 1/12th and WGT on the one board?

Bill
Old 02-02-2011, 12:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)
Default Carbon Pit Board

I looked into making them about a year ago. I have about $1000 worth of prototypes and materials sitting in the shop. The problem was I could never work it out where the final product wouldn't retail for around $200.

Here is a solid carbon fiber pit board I made for Donny Lia. The logos are engraved and paint filled. It turned out really cool but cost more to make than I charged him. I AM NOT TAKING ORDERS AND THESE ARE NOT FOR SALE!

Old 02-02-2011, 07:24 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Troy Mckune
I looked into making them about a year ago. I have about $1000 worth of prototypes and materials sitting in the shop. The problem was I could never work it out where the final product wouldn't retail for around $200.
So what's wrong with that? LOL

Here is a solid carbon fiber pit board I made for Donny Lia. The logos are engraved and paint filled. It turned out really cool but cost more to make than I charged him. I AM NOT TAKING ORDERS AND THESE ARE NOT FOR SALE!

[/QUOTE]

Beautiful! Beautiful! Beautiful!

This thread is really getting interesting now...

Bill
Old 02-02-2011, 09:04 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Still Bill
I'd be standing in line Brian.

Right now Brandon's board is winning. Could have CRC and Slapmaster pasted across it for the Carpet Nats. Wonder if it could have rollouts for both 1/12th and WGT on the one board?

Bill
Maybe a roll out calculator routed into the front right corner with a flush touch top?

I have one of the small Hudy boards, no alignment sticker. Some racers live and die by their sticker, but I don't see the need. I have a triangular ruler that I measure track width with, lay it on the set up board and place the car on the center holes for side/side balance. Works for me.

Any more, I only use the set up board for checking ride height, pod droop and just generally a place to prep the car. Dumper scared me for life, so the camber gauge rarely comes out anymore.

I see the Hudy board with the tweak bar built into it. That seems like a very cleaver idea. What's keep that from dominating the market? If I didn't have my old Delta tweak board, I would probably look at that Hudy board. But I can't get my Delta to wear out.

Beautiful work Troy!
Old 02-02-2011, 10:24 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

What thickness c/f do you guys reckon a board would need to be so that it was stiff enough to stay flat and not warp?
Old 02-02-2011, 11:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Bill
I have one of Brandon boards you can check it out saturday.

Tim
Old 02-02-2011, 12:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (98%+)

There is no better all-in-one tweak board than this one:
http://www.unitytool.com/tweakboard/instructions.html

I had the Hudy Ultimate Tweak Station, and I sold it to get this one. Nothing beats it.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:28 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by gonzo416
There is no better all-in-one tweak board than this one:
http://www.unitytool.com/tweakboard/instructions.html

I had the Hudy Ultimate Tweak Station, and I sold it to get this one. Nothing beats it.
My bad. I thought you were talking about tweakboards, but you're actually talking about setup boards.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:42 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gonzo416
My bad. I thought you were talking about tweakboards, but you're actually talking about setup boards.
Gonzo, I'm interested in this though, do you think it will work with off-road also, because it looks kinda universal?
Old 02-02-2011, 12:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by housey
What thickness c/f do you guys reckon a board would need to be so that it was stiff enough to stay flat and not warp?
I feel most comfortable with 3mm and up. The ones I have made out of 3mm and 1/8th inch are still flat after 1.5 years. I use only quasi-isotropic material with a plain weave top and bottom layer (same stuff as RC chassis). The prototypes I have made with twill were warped as soon as I cut them.

Troy
Old 02-02-2011, 12:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)
Default Thread jack warning

What have you guys found to be the cheapest, but still affective setup board?

I went to tap plastic about a year ago about bought a 2'x2' piece of 1/4" plastic. It was about $25 is I remember right. It seems to do a good job.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:13 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by steam
Gonzo, I'm interested in this though, do you think it will work with off-road also, because it looks kinda universal?
I don't know if it will work with off-road because the parts that line up to the wheels to measure camber are only about 3" high.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:47 PM
Tech Elite

I just did a quick search on a website called Dragon Plate. I found c/f with a polypropolene honeycomb core 12x18" @ .25" thick for $219

c/f with a nomex core, same size, $180

c/f w/ foam core, $140.

That's pretty serious stuff.

There used to be the little airplane company just up the street called Boeing. They use to have a surplus lot one could rummage through. But I would suspect that I would find a gold brick before I could find any of that honeycomb material.

Bob Stormer used to travel with one of his kitchen cabinet doors. I think it still had the knob on it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.