Best setup board >

Best setup board

Like Tree2Likes

Best setup board

Old 10-23-2013, 07:31 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Controversy
From personal experience with Hudy, I do know that their tools are exceptional in terms of quality. So I have no doubts about their setup board either.

I'll be looking to purchase one from A Main Hobbies in the near future along with the Hudy setup decal.

Thanks for your helpful posts Bill!

In regard to flatness...Consider doing your setup with the board in one direction; and, then checking with the board turned 180 degrees. That may give you an idea about the flatness of your setup board.

Yes, I previously lost some sleep thinking about my setup board...It had to be the board...Couldn't be me...Could it? LOL

Bill...in retrospect
Old 10-23-2013, 07:35 PM
avs
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87
Flat or not won't make you any faster..... Relatively flat is all that's necessary ! I use my kitchen's glass table sometimes to beat guys waisting money on so called flat boards...
uh, given the nature of how glass is manufactured, it is about as flat as anything you can find.
by the way, flatness is ALWAYS a relative quantity. there is no definition for absolute flat.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:54 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Odin544
In my opinion you are over thinking this. Most setup boards are made of wood, glass or plexiglass. None of these materials are perfectly flat. None of these materials are checked for flatness for this application. So no, no one is going to have any specs on this. If you want something that is certified, you better be ready to pay $$$$$$$ and have a trailer to haul it to the track with.

I do understand where you are coming from. I'm a machinist and going to school for mechanical engineering. I currently use a Hudy setup board but I am always looking for something better. Plexiglass flexes more than I'd like when it's thin enough to not weigh a ton. It's not durable enough IMO either. Glass is too heavy and too fragile. Wood warps over time and isn't attractive. The best looking setup board I've seen is the one made by Arrow Max. It's a machined aluminum frame with a carbon fiber sheet on one side and a plexiglass sheet on the other. But at over $300 it's a nice chunk of change. No idea how flat it is either. If it was done right it could be very flat. If machined wrong it could be horrible. I have not emailed them to get more info on it though.
http://www.arrowmax-rc.com/index.php...roducts_id=867

I have an arrowmax....Not flat at all on the clear side. Somewhat flat on the graphite side. Hudy board is the best bang for the buck for flatness Ive found.

EA
Old 10-23-2013, 08:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Good idea with turning the board Bill. My two favorites are an $11 glass cutting board I got from WalMart and a retired piece of SouthWest Airlines "floorboard". Its a tiny aluminum honey comb covered with a thin layer of fiberglass.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-...Board/14964907

http://img.archiexpo.com/images_ae/p...36-3395043.jpg
Old 10-23-2013, 08:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
I have an arrowmax....Not flat at all on the clear side. Somewhat flat on the graphite side. Hudy board is the best bang for the buck for flatness Ive found.

EA
I'd agree on the Hudy. Thats why I'm still using it. I've found other options. Just nothing I'm willing to fork out the money for. If only I had a trailer to haul around a certified granite slab!
Old 10-23-2013, 09:19 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports

EA
And his motors (and driving) are fast too...

Bill
Old 10-24-2013, 03:48 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Odin544
In my opinion you are over thinking this. Most setup boards are made of wood, glass or plexiglass. None of these materials are perfectly flat. None of these materials are checked for flatness for this application. So no, no one is going to have any specs on this. If you want something that is certified, you better be ready to pay $$$$$$$ and have a trailer to haul it to the track with.

I do understand where you are coming from. I'm a machinist and going to school for mechanical engineering. I currently use a Hudy setup board but I am always looking for something better. Plexiglass flexes more than I'd like when it's thin enough to not weigh a ton. It's not durable enough IMO either. Glass is too heavy and too fragile. Wood warps over time and isn't attractive. The best looking setup board I've seen is the one made by Arrow Max. It's a machined aluminum frame with a carbon fiber sheet on one side and a plexiglass sheet on the other. But at over $300 it's a nice chunk of change. No idea how flat it is either. If it was done right it could be very flat. If machined wrong it could be horrible. I have not emailed them to get more info on it though.
http://www.arrowmax-rc.com/index.php...roducts_id=867
Having spent 30 years in the machine tool trade,I look at most products as being definable by tolerances...I was looking for no less here...grin!
As mentioned by others,I can obtain a piece of T6/jig plate,with certs...
both heavy and expensive... 1.0"x14.0"x20" with flatness of .002 per ft...
at a cost of about $330...
having said that,it's obvious,your "opinion" of me over thinking this is spot on...lol
thank you for bringing me out of the shadows where again,I will be able to sleep at night...
...kirt
Old 10-24-2013, 06:29 PM
Tech Champion

Nite, nite Mr. Bggr.

Bill
Old 10-24-2013, 06:52 PM
avs
Tech Master

I don't think anyone mentioned the EDS board. based on its weight and dimensions, it sounds like it is 0.25" honeycomb with 1.5mm gr/ep facesheets. for $150, not cheap, but it seems reasonable. this is the Much-more with backlights seem the most appealing use for too much $$ burning a hole in my pocket.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:20 AM
Tech Adept

Arrow Re:

Originally Posted by Still Bill
In regard to flatness...Consider doing your setup with the board in one direction; and, then checking with the board turned 180 degrees. That may give you an idea about the flatness of your setup board.

Yes, I previously lost some sleep thinking about my setup board...It had to be the board...Couldn't be me...Could it? LOL

Bill...in retrospect
Now that's experience talking right there (and some serious obsession too I think). Once again, thank you kindly for the knowledge you have shared.

I'm no Mark Reinhard or Ronald Volker, so a board that's 'perfectly flat' isn't really needed. Just a dependable and consistent surface is what I am looking for. So I'm sure the Hudy setup board for 1/10 touring cars will suit my needs just fine.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:20 AM
avs
Tech Master

ok, so back to reality. if you are considering the hudy board and the lines sticker, then you might prefer the integy board. integy has the lines permanently attached to the board compared to the hudy sticker that has been a challenge to keep attached.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:41 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by avs
uh, given the nature of how glass is manufactured, it is about as flat as anything you can find.
by the way, flatness is ALWAYS a relative quantity. there is no definition for absolute flat.
Hey Tony...I might have to disagree with you on that...over a cup of coffee preferably,but too many miles between us...
The definition for absolute straight is a line...the same as absolute flat is defined by a plane...though I agree that we cannot manufacture to absolutes,we can define them...and measure deviations of them to within very close tolerances...
...kirt
Old 10-25-2013, 07:01 AM
Tech Adept

Arrow Re:

I'd never think that something as simple as a setup board would create such a long discussion. Suppose it's like that with everything in the RC world. Normally I browse forums to get guidelines, then take it from there.

Price point generally is the main factor for me when purchasing any RC related item. I'd like to keep the hobby fun and affordable at the same time where possible.

My sights are set on the Hudy board, it's going for $26.99 from A Main Hobbies at time of writing. The decal will set me back another $13.99 making it a grand total of $40.00 - there's shipping charges as well. Compared to other tools by Hudy, I would consider this board to be cheaper then expected.

Hudy Flat Set-Up Board For 1/10th Scale Touring Cars

Last edited by Controversy; 10-25-2013 at 07:09 AM. Reason: Typing correction.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:08 AM
Tech Adept

Questions?? Question:

Originally Posted by avs
ok, so back to reality. if you are considering the hudy board and the lines sticker, then you might prefer the integy board. integy has the lines permanently attached to the board compared to the hudy sticker that has been a challenge to keep attached.
The Integy setup board is currently out of stock at A Main Hobbies. There's one with a built-in tweak bar that is on 'pre-order'. I'll probably just go with the Hudy one for now. If I don't like it for whatever reason, I can sell or pass it on.

Have you had any experience with the Integy setup board?
Old 10-25-2013, 08:26 AM
avs
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Controversy
The Integy setup board is currently out of stock at A Main Hobbies. There's one with a built-in tweak bar that is on 'pre-order'. I'll probably just go with the Hudy one for now. If I don't like it for whatever reason, I can sell or pass it on.

Have you had any experience with the Integy setup board?
i have hudy and integy boards. i found the builtin tweak bar to be a nuisance, but that is me. i prefer to have a flat surface with no cracks or moving parts.

the hudy stickers are long gone, i don't miss them. (only use the lines for 1/8 onroad setup, not for any electric cars) i think i was pretty careful with prep but solvents and silicone found their way under the decal and it would lift. the integy is better sealed off at the edges.

if i needed a board for a sedan or pan car i would go with the hudy board and forget the sticker. it is the best value.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.