R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-31-2011, 06:44 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Send a message via MSN to oscarg22
Questions?? 2200kv Motor Drag

Well I have been ridding my Hpi E-super rs4 and I notice that the motor has a lot of drag on my 2 rear wheels and in my front i have one way diff those run freely . Well my question is if I get a motor that has more kvs would the motor have less drag?????????

Last edited by oscarg22; 01-31-2011 at 07:17 PM.
oscarg22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:05 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Timbulb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:26 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Are you talking about drag brake? Or just that the motor feels "notchy" and resists when you roll the car on the ground?

Castle/Neu motors are 4-pole and slotted design, they will always have that "notchy" resistive feel when being rolled. Getting a higher (or lower) kv won't change that.

If you are talking about drag brake, that can be turned down by programming the ESC.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:34 PM   #4
Tech Initiate

Default notchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplechamp View Post
Are you talking about drag brake? Or just that the motor feels "notchy" and resists when you roll the car on the ground?

Castle/Neu motors are 4-pole and slotted design, they will always have that "notchy" resistive feel when being rolled. Getting a higher (or lower) kv won't change that.

If you are talking about drag brake, that can be turned down by programming the ESC.
When I roll the car on the ground feels "notchy" Is there a motor that doesn't do that???
Old 01-31-2011, 08:10 PM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Yes, there are motors that don't do that, but when you are running the car this drag/notchiness you are talking about does not hurt performance. Changing to a 2-pole motor that rolls smoothly is not going to help, in fact you will probably see lower performance as it will have less torque.

You (arguably) already have the best motor for the job. If your car isn't coasting enough after you let off the throttle you need to turn down the "drag brake" setting on the ESC.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:33 PM   #6
Tech Initiate

Default It's hurtting Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplechamp View Post
Yes, there are motors that don't do that, but when you are running the car this drag/notchiness you are talking about does not hurt performance. Changing to a 2-pole motor that rolls smoothly is not going to help, in fact you will probably see lower performance as it will have less torque.

You (arguably) already have the best motor for the job. If your car isn't coasting enough after you let off the throttle you need to turn down the "drag brake" setting on the ESC.
When i let off the car goes side ways both wheels on the rear drag when i let of
Old 02-01-2011, 07:22 AM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarg22 View Post
When i let off the car goes side ways both wheels on the rear drag when i let of
Mate check the car out for draging bearings and so on......
The way to check that is take the pinion of the motor and see if the car coasts first before you blame the motor. I really dont think the motor will do what your saying your car is reacting like.... Next thing is using a one way really sounds like another problem your having with the car going side ways when you let of as it is off power problems then the one way goes free with no pressure on the front wheels...

I think you should be looking at setup first and go from there.
Fordy