Search
Like Tree16Likes

Serpent S411

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 02:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RugRunner
My S411 is a little slow reacting after braking for corners and I have developed a small push. Any suggestions low to med grip carpet. For the push would a stiffer sway help?
Spool or gear diff up front? Gear diff in rear?

You could reduce rear droop, go lighter oil the rear gear diff, go stiffer on the front spring.....

Also.... are you hitting the brakes while turning the steering wheel? This will cause a push of some amount regardless of setup. Try grabbing the brakes quickly right before you begin turning.

I found a really good setup with lots of steering for our low-bite carpet track.... I will try to fill out a setup sheet in a bit if you want.
Old 03-25-2012, 02:21 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

My S411 is a little slow reacting after braking for corners and I have developed a small push. Any suggestions low to med grip carpet. For the push would a stiffer sway help?
I think you want to go softer on the front end rather than stiffer. What you are describing sounds like there isnt enough weight over the front wheels under breaking. Try either a softer spring in the front, lower the front roll centre or add a little more rear droop to help with the weight transfer.

I'm still learning all this myself so hopefully I'm on the right track here

Simon
Old 03-25-2012, 02:21 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by cwoods34
Spool or gear diff up front? Gear diff in rear?

You could reduce rear droop, go lighter oil the rear gear diff, go stiffer on the front spring.....

Also.... are you hitting the brakes while turning the steering wheel? This will cause a push of some amount regardless of setup. Try grabbing the brakes quickly right before you begin turning.

I found a really good setup with lots of steering for our low-bite carpet track.... I will try to fill out a setup sheet in a bit if you want.

Spool up front,gear diff in rear 60wt...your Cody right? I'm runnin Steve's Aka crptracer's setup it's modified from yours I believe he said. It's pretty money I brake with the wheels straight it just seems to be flat after braking.
Old 03-25-2012, 02:31 PM
Tech Master

Spool up front,gear diff in rear 60wt...your Cody right? I'm runnin Steve's Aka crptracer's setup it's modified from yours I believe he said. It's pretty money I brake with the wheels straight it just seems to be flat after braking.
I can't remember exactly what he's running, but I found a few more changes I like from running yesterday in Winthrop (pretty different from RCAR) that should translate decently back in Indy. Filling out the setup sheet now!
Old 03-25-2012, 03:08 PM
Tech Master

AHHH computer is having issues.... I have a printed copy of the setup sheet however. Sorry!
Old 03-25-2012, 03:11 PM
Tech Regular

ok i have done the setup sheet but unable to upload to here as it says the file is to big on a 200kb over i have tried to shrink the file no luck any other suggestions, thanks in advance.
Old 03-25-2012, 03:29 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Rug.. I went to 1.75 or so on the droop in the rear it seemed to help. Also I switched to jaco blues and the car was even better. I am gonna give the 1.4 a shoot on the rear again I think with the traction we have had as of late may help with transitioning a bit, but the setup is still solid I think your better off just trying one thing at a time and run about 3 min or so... You can get opinions and advice all day bro but in the end u gotta wheel it! After my long 2yr vacation I'm just now getting my head in the setup it's suprising how much you forget!
Old 03-25-2012, 04:19 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by NUCRPTRACER
Rug.. I went to 1.75 or so on the droop in the rear it seemed to help. Also I switched to jaco blues and the car was even better. I am gonna give the 1.4 a shoot on the rear again I think with the traction we have had as of late may help with transitioning a bit, but the setup is still solid I think your better off just trying one thing at a time and run about 3 min or so... You can get opinions and advice all day bro but in the end u gotta wheel it! After my long 2yr vacation I'm just now getting my head in the setup it's suprising how much you forget!
I think I'll keep the 1.2 on mine, but go to 1500cst in the rear diff. I think it'd smooth out rotation a bit. I've been running with 8-15 clicks off the steer rate anyway and it still has lots of entry steering.
Old 03-25-2012, 04:37 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

I am glad to see people starting to chime in with outdoor setups, good info.
My car was pretty awsome today, best setup yet. I am finally all over the low traction tight asphalt track setup.
Today I went to the white rear gray front spring setup with a minor 1mm inboard rear camber link increase from 3 to 4mm and increased the ackerman spacing to 2mm over 1mm, front downstop of 5.5 and rear of 4.8 setting no other changes from a week ago. The snake was hunting....

Last edited by rdlkgliders; 03-25-2012 at 05:15 PM.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:05 PM
Tech Regular

I finally got Martin's Canada setup to open on my PC and I think i must have reached the pinniacle of my RC career as my setup almost matches Mr.Martin's to a "T"..Minus a spring rate and gear diff oil....Now if i could match his smooth driving style i might have something!!!
Old 03-25-2012, 06:07 PM
Tech Regular

Martin have you found the heavy gear diff oil plays a larger role with the spool? Every time I run the thicker oil the car really snaps around but that was with the gear diff but normally with the spool you don't have the entry steering you do with the gear diff.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Martin, I always thought that the camber links and how you shim them, had a greater effect on camber gain and a lesser effect on roll center. If I want to change roll center I would raise or lower the hinge pins. It seems that you shim the the camber links with the purpose of changing the roll center with camber gain not mentioned.
Could you please elaborate a little on this as I've have read it both ways and would be very interested in what your take is.

Also your book says (if I remember correctly) that the length of the link determines when the camber gain happens. Short links, the gain happens quicker but not as much and with long links the gain happens later in the corner but lasts longer. Is this still true ?

Thanks for your time.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:45 PM
Tech Addict

New TE went together perfect, Everything was in the box not one thing missing.
From the first batch of kits it seams the parts quality is better and the new shocks are a breeze to build look forward to this car's first run tomorrow.

Old 03-25-2012, 11:07 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Aza088
New TE went together perfect, Everything was in the box not one thing missing.
From the first batch of kits it seams the parts quality is better and the new shocks are a breeze to build look forward to this car's first run tomorrow.

Go back to nitro you punce...
Old 03-26-2012, 04:16 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Mike Schroder
Go back to nitro you punce...
scared a nitro driver is going to beat u at your own game haha

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.