Like Tree14Likes

Serpent S411

Reply

Old 07-16-2011, 12:35 AM
  #601  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (31)
 
JayBee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 12TH-MAN COUNTRY
Posts: 6,816
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

Ditto
Well the chassis has the drivetrain and arms in w/an Associated 106t spur. I can definitely tell the difference between Serpents metal geardiff vs. my plastic-laden brand X. The 'feel' of the teeth meshing is something I'll have to get use to. The car is definitely a QUALITY piece and surprisingly simple. No handfitting yet except for a tad of arm-reaming. I blame myself for the slightly tight rotation of the drivetrain (didn't spray the bearings and give 'em my treatment) but they'll loosen up. I'll get some ceramics soon though.
Prolly finish up tomorrow and start throwing together the electronics.

More to come later.......
JayBee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 07:31 AM
  #602  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (10)
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 485
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Will the RW brand of xray spurs fit on the S411?
kobiwan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 07:39 AM
  #603  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (99)
 
corallyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Edmonds, Wash
Posts: 4,608
Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by kobiwan View Post
Will the RW brand of xray spurs fit on the S411?
It should. I have a RW spur on mine now for the non boost class and it fits. This is a white RW standard TC spur. As long as the spur has the "wide" mounting you should be good. Usually the inner mounting holes is 6. If its like 8 then it might be meant for 1/12th.


Jaybee,

I left my chassis edges alone, didn't even sand it, but I still might. I won't be CA'ing it for sure.

Steve
corallyman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 08:02 AM
  #604  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (10)
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 485
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by corallyman View Post
It should. I have a RW spur on mine now for the non boost class and it fits. This is a white RW standard TC spur. As long as the spur has the "wide" mounting you should be good. Usually the inner mounting holes is 6. If its like 8 then it might be meant for 1/12th.



Steve
Mine is black. Don't think it is a 1/12 spur because it says it's a Xray Spur. I hope it fits.
kobiwan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 08:05 AM
  #605  
OVA
Tech Champion
iTrader: (80)
 
OVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: WASHINGTON
Posts: 8,906
Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by kobiwan View Post
Mine is black. Don't think it is a 1/12 spur because it says it's a Xray Spur. I hope it fits.
Any Xray Spur gear will fit
OVA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 08:09 AM
  #606  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (99)
 
corallyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Edmonds, Wash
Posts: 4,608
Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)
Default

Look at the mounting holes as if it was a clock. If a hole is at 12 o'clock, 4 o'clock, and 8 o'clock then it will fit. You can visually see this. A 1/12th scale spur has so many holes for the diff balls then they actually are not lined up. You could do some dremel work on this type of spur and still make it work.

The RW Xray spur certainly looks correct, I just don't have one yet to make absolutely sure that it fits.

Steve
corallyman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 10:01 AM
  #607  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (31)
 
JayBee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 12TH-MAN COUNTRY
Posts: 6,816
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

The Associated (TC6) spurs fit perfect on this car; I have a 106t on mine.
JayBee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 01:06 PM
  #608  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (31)
 
JayBee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 12TH-MAN COUNTRY
Posts: 6,816
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

On the go at the moment but finished up the blocks, frt/rear hubs and all the linkage. This kit has been a complete breeze thus far. Excellent in its simplicity. Although I've been stuck at home sick.....I'm grinning and bearing it

Last minute question.....the gear mesh/ lash of the geardiff has been bothering me. In the BAG there was included 2 thin spacers but no pic of them used in the manual. Were those supposed to be used to push the small gears inward inside the gearcase? Inquiring minds wanna know.......

Last edited by JayBee; 07-16-2011 at 01:21 PM.
JayBee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 01:48 PM
  #609  
OVA
Tech Champion
iTrader: (80)
 
OVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: WASHINGTON
Posts: 8,906
Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
On the go at the moment but finished up the blocks, frt/rear hubs and all the linkage. This kit has been a complete breeze thus far. Excellent in its simplicity. Although I've been stuck at home sick.....I'm grinning and bearing it

Last minute question.....the gear mesh/ lash of the geardiff has been bothering me. In the BAG there was included 2 thin spacers but no pic of them used in the manual. Were those supposed to be used to push the small gears inward inside the gearcase? Inquiring minds wanna know.......

yes you are right...should be each washer behind the small spider gear..
Did you have the washer inside for the out drive where the pin go in before the big spider gear?
I also believe the washers protect the metal gear from rubbing againt the plastic gear case...
OVA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 01:53 PM
  #610  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (31)
 
JayBee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 12TH-MAN COUNTRY
Posts: 6,816
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

Thanks Franko.....and yes, I build per BAC 5004-1
JayBee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 06:47 PM
  #611  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (10)
 
gearhead_22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Philly
Posts: 2,553
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

ran the car today for the first time and very happy, had a couple of bugs to work out, but after four quals today I am sittin 3 in 17.5 boost.I am going to put in the D3 tomorrow and see if I can pick up the pace a littleand yes the diff is a little noisey, but the car is smooth on the track,also I am using xray spur gears.
gearhead_22 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 07:09 PM
  #612  
OVA
Tech Champion
iTrader: (80)
 
OVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: WASHINGTON
Posts: 8,906
Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
Thanks Franko.....and yes, I build per BAC 5004-1
BAC 5004-1 Hmmmmm...Installation of Permanent Fasteners ..Did I get it right? are you working on 787?
OVA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 02:56 AM
  #613  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (10)
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 485
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by OVA View Post
yes you are right...should be each washer behind the small spider gear..
Did you have the washer inside for the out drive where the pin go in before the big spider gear?
I also believe the washers protect the metal gear from rubbing againt the plastic gear case...
I didn't use the washers when I built mine, I didn't see it in the instructions, and when I tried using them it seemed like it pushed the satellite gears too far into the main gear and the mesh was too tight. I just figured it was when the gears wear out and the mesh gets loose. I know that's how some/most 1/8 scale buggy diffs are, they come with shims to compensate for wear of the gears. I guess we will see if I did the right thing when I run it.
Does anyone know if they make plastic replacement gears, or a diff with 4 satellite gears?
kobiwan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 02:59 AM
  #614  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (31)
 
JayBee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 12TH-MAN COUNTRY
Posts: 6,816
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

The 'black mamba' is on the loose at a track near you
JayBee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 03:01 AM
  #615  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (55)
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: VA Beach
Posts: 3,468
Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by kobiwan View Post
I didn't use the washers when I built mine, I didn't see it in the instructions, and when I tried using them it seemed like it pushed the satellite gears too far into the main gear and the mesh was too tight. I just figured it was when the gears wear out and the mesh gets loose. I know that's how some/most 1/8 scale buggy diffs are, they come with shims to compensate for wear of the gears. I guess we will see if I did the right thing when I run it.
Does anyone know if they make plastic replacement gears, or a diff with 4 satellite gears?
This is exactly what I am doing( no shims). I have ran the car 3 days. No wear on diff yet.
Jamison R is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Terms of Service