Search
Like Tree16Likes

Serpent S411

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 04:23 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Team_Krusty
I think what Johnny means is that instead of using the 4mm spacers he uses 3mm spacers + a 1mm slide in shim. This means that roll centre changes can be made by easily removing the sliding shim rather than unscrewing the whole front end to change the spacer length.

Simon
When I first saw that upside down block on r/f I was confused because Ive never seen it done. Would he use a 3mm shim and two. 5 shims.? If you change front to a .5 wouldn't it be 3.5 in rear?
Old 05-04-2012, 09:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JETT
When I first saw that upside down block on r/f I was confused because Ive never seen it done. Would he use a 3mm shim and two. 5 shims.? If you change front to a .5 wouldn't it be 3.5 in rear?
The r/f block when flipped uses a 4mm spacer so that, from the factory setup, that uses a 1mm shim in the f/f, gives the car level arms, ie. no front kickup. The r/f block when flipped require a 3mm spacer for a 0 lower roll center setting, as long as you take the 1mm shim out of the f/f bridge. so this would give you level arms again but the arm pin would be lowered but still level with the chassis.

So yes, if I would leave the 1mm shim in the f/f, I would use two .5mm shims to equal 1mm and be level. If I run a .5mm shim in the r/f I would change the f/f shim to .5mm as well to keep the arm level. Of course if I wanted to run kick I would add or subtract shims to get the adjustment I'm looking for.

The point of this, is using the 3mm spacers in place of the 4mm spacer in the r/f, and then just using the shims to set the lower roll center is a lot easier and faster to do than actually having to remove screws and spacers.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:34 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by fasteddie d
Hey Martin

We need to find a way to get you out here on the westcoast (Victoria and Vancouver ) I think you will be pleasantly pleased with the competition level out here .
I know that you have probably met keith from ocra and possibly Blake from Victoria . I think it would be a great way to promote the car . Maybe we could even get you in to a nitro touring car one day . Keep up the great work the info you provide really helps .
I would love to race out there...have heard great things. I pay my own way to races and with the reedy race, the worlds and vegas coming up I really can't afford another trip

Originally Posted by Benzaah
Martin, Have you tested running the diffs in high and low positions? if so what were your findings?
I have not played around with this on the serpent. I have tried it before with other cars and always seemed to like th ehigh position, but did not notice a huge difference.

Originally Posted by duckman996
Looking forward to getting this car onto the tarmac tracks this summer. Last year - with less experience on the car, it seemed very planted. Learning what I have over the winter with the S411 - I can't wait to see what it will be like.
Corey, Steve, Andrew and I are heading to Ottawa this weekend to do some asphalt testing/racing. You should join us.

Cheers.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:07 PM
Tech Apprentice

i need alittle help

the rear of my car is really lose with almost no rear traction even using light throttle on asphalt

im running my s411 box stock (with exotek 2mm chassis) im using the stock set up with an Orion 17.5 and sweep 32 premounts

thanks for any ideas
Old 05-04-2012, 04:55 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Serpent Guy
i need alittle help

the rear of my car is really lose with almost no rear traction even using light throttle on asphalt

im running my s411 box stock (with exotek 2mm chassis) im using the stock set up with an Orion 17.5 and sweep 32 premounts

thanks for any ideas
Give this a try.

http://www.petitrc.com/reglages/serp...331/index.html
Old 05-04-2012, 04:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

i need alittle help

thanks for any ideas
how much droop are you running on the front and rear of the car? Are you running 3.0 degrees rear toe-in. Also what are you running for shock oils, pistons and rear diff oil?
Old 05-04-2012, 05:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

i need alittle help

thanks for any ideas
how much droop are you running on the front and rear of the car? Are you running 3.0 degrees rear toe-in. Also what are you running for shock oils and pistons and rear diff oil?
Old 05-04-2012, 07:13 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
thankyou i will try it sunday and report back

Originally Posted by Martin Crisp
how much droop are you running on the front and rear of the car? Are you running 3.0 degrees rear toe-in. Also what are you running for shock oils, pistons and rear diff oil?
my rear diff oil is 1200cst
im running 3 degree rear toe
1.4mm sway bars
50k front and rear shock oil
3 hole pistons
orange front spring/yellow rear

i will be honest, i have seen droop measured so many different ways that have different out comes that i would prefer to keep it out of the equation for now (also im under qualified to get it right lol)
Old 05-04-2012, 07:20 PM
Tech Apprentice

6mm ride height
light weight mazdaspeed6 body
Old 05-04-2012, 08:14 PM
Tech Adept

I've got one on it's way!
BTW, is this car called "S Four Eleven" or "S Four One One" ?
Old 05-04-2012, 10:36 PM
Tech Adept

1.4mm sway bars
3 hole pistons

i will be honest, i have seen droop measured so many different ways that have different out comes that i would prefer to keep it out of the equation for now (also im under qualified to get it right lol)
Hi,

I don't have Martins level of knowledge but I think that the diff oil is too heavy for your track surface. I would suggest dropping this to < 800cst

Simon
Old 05-05-2012, 02:25 AM
Tech Addict

1.4mm sway bars
3 hole pistons

Hi Serpent guy,
Droop is very important as this will effect how much weight is over the rear wheels either on power or off power.

Place the car on a setup board push the suspention in the front and rear down a few times then holding the rear wheels down lift the shock tower to see how much droop you have. There is no correct droop measurement every driving style is different i run very little droop like 2mm up travel front and back.

The rear diff to way to thick oil.
I'm running 800cst Xceed on medium grip asphalt even thinking about 600cst!!!!

One more question did you mention you have 50k shock oil as in 50000cst shock oil???
Old 05-05-2012, 11:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Martin Crisp

Corey, Steve, Andrew and I are heading to Ottawa this weekend to do some asphalt testing/racing. You should join us.

Cheers.
I would have loved to but a new future RC racer decided this weekend was his time to make his presence be know to the world. Look forward to the feedback when you get back.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:21 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Aza088
Hi Serpent guy,
Droop is very important as this will effect how much weight is over the rear wheels either on power or off power.

Place the car on a setup board push the suspention in the front and rear down a few times then holding the rear wheels down lift the shock tower to see how much droop you have. There is no correct droop measurement every driving style is different i run very little droop like 2mm up travel front and back.

The rear diff to way to thick oil.
I'm running 800cst Xceed on medium grip asphalt even thinking about 600cst!!!!

One more question did you mention you have 50k shock oil as in 50000cst shock oil???
i will see if i can figure out the droop, sorry the shock oil is 50 weight
Old 05-05-2012, 02:18 PM
Tech Elite

i will see if i can figure out the droop, sorry the shock oil is 50 weight

Yes droop has about half a dozen different ways of doing it. How are you setting yours, or at least, are you using Hudy droop blocks and droop gauge? Or just the over ride height method with a ride height gauge?

I prefer the method Martin Crisp showed me, using a Tamiya droop guage and going off the bottom of the chassis. Its quick, accurate and consistent.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.