Search
Like Tree16Likes

Serpent S411

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 05:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rdlkgliders
No, I bought it off someone on this forum who had flipped the arms but not installed the v2 rack, after running a couple weeks I was going through the car and cleaning and rebuilding. And I wanted to apply all the v2 mods and realized that the arms were flipped without the v2 rack. I put it back to stock per manual and that is when I noticed the play. Are others finding the tolerances tight or is the play normal ?
I will probably just by the v2 assembly and rebuild.
Some have said that however all I have found is some play in the c hubs and steering blocks..
Old 03-10-2012, 05:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NUCRPTRACER
Some have said that however all I have found is some play in the c hubs and steering blocks..
There is play in my steering assembly (v1), mostly up and down movement. I haven't noticed it causing any issues with alignment or causing erratic behavior.

Front to rear movement of my caster blocks are more noticeable. My front right (hard, all I had at the time) has more slop at the hingepin than the left..... may be worth half a degree more than the other side, but it doesn't cause any issues, either.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:37 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

Thanks,
I am going to just run this weekend and see what happens.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:42 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by rdlkgliders
Thanks,
I am going to just run this weekend and see what happens.
If it is at the bearing u can apply super glue to the outside of the bearing and install it quickly of course and that should help alot..
Old 03-10-2012, 06:03 PM
Tech Regular

I am sure when the car is moving it will be fine. I was just surprised, no big I will still run and have fun.
do the .015 qnd .010 shims come with the v2 rack?
thanks again
Old 03-10-2012, 06:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 109 (100%+)

the v2 rack comes with 6 .5mm shims
Old 03-11-2012, 05:21 AM
Tech Regular

Just FYI I didn't have any Clearence issues with the V2 even with flipping the arms...I do run my battery in the back position but not sure it would make a difference...I have full lock also...is there something I'm doing right or wrong as everyone else has mentioned removing about a mm off the tape holder..
Old 03-11-2012, 08:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 109 (100%+)

the problem will be when running the battery in the forward position. you just have to notch the corner of the tape holder and all is good.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

Has anyone tested running the shocks in the inner positions on the suspension arms? I got a 2nd hand kit and all the outside holes in the arms have been over tightened so wont hold the grub screw. I don't want to waste the plastics so i am running the holes on the inside. I've ended up with Green/black springs running 2nd hold from all in on the front and hole 5 outside on the rear. I played with nearly all the holes on the shock tower yesterday and I really like the feel of this but i don't see any set up sheets anywhere running these holes.

According to the Hudy set up book in the front the inner hole will give you more steering and the rear arm inner hole will give you more rear traction. A couple of the local mod guys think my settings are backwards and shouldn't work.

Here's a link to my current set up sheet.

http://www.mediafire.com/?w1x3313d5lh65ix

Last edited by Benzaah; 03-11-2012 at 07:46 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:17 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

A few of us at our local outdoor med grip asphalt track tried the rear shocks on the inner arm mount and found it to work well. I actually went with inner on the arm and the outer most point on the shock tower (most upright shock position) and found I had very good rear grip. Couldnt tell you the logic behind it - just that it worked for me

Simon
Old 03-11-2012, 08:23 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Team_Krusty
A few of us at our local outdoor med grip asphalt track tried the rear shocks on the inner arm mount and found it to work well. I actually went with inner on the arm and the outer most point on the shock tower (most upright shock position) and found I had very good rear grip. Couldn't tell you the logic behind it - just that it worked for me

Simon
Interesting, good to know.
I had my best day yet. I made minor changes through the day. and a block change from 1.0 front rear to the 2.0 front rear block. I also did a droop adjustment I increased the front droop. I placed 3rd in heat one and then did a spring change from yellow rear and orange front to Grey rear and yellow front and placed second and cut my lap times. I then left the car as is and went to the a main and placed 4th. I let the guy who placed first in the a main drive my car and it looked like a handful for him really loose, he usually drives an xray. It was kinda funny I think I have just gotten used to the loose nature of the car and learned to drive it that way. the serpent seems to really benefit from a smooth driving style even more than other Tc's I have driven....fun day thanks for all the help you guys give.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:43 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Ran the car yesterday for the first time. I had mixed feelings, I definitely see the serpent has potential. I will be ordering some option parts to try to settle the car down a bit for my liking. One thing I really don't like is the way the ball cups attach to the steering rack. I clipped a board a couple times and it popped off way to easy for my liking. So I will be installing xray ball cups. Coming from a older xray 007 this is a big change for me. going to read the thread some more. And get suggestions from Cwoods and nucarpetracer and hopefully gets this car dialed in for me.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:12 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by smokefan
Ran the car yesterday for the first time. I had mixed feelings, I definitely see the serpent has potential. I will be ordering some option parts to try to settle the car down a bit for my liking. One thing I really don't like is the way the ball cups attach to the steering rack. I clipped a board a couple times and it popped off way to easy for my liking. So I will be installing xray ball cups. Coming from a older xray 007 this is a big change for me. going to read the thread some more. And get suggestions from Cwoods and nucarpetracer and hopefully gets this car dialed in for me.
We will get it dialed in.. Don't worry about that!
Old 03-12-2012, 06:22 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

We will get it dialed in.. Don't worry about that!
Ok going to hold you too that statement
Old 03-12-2012, 12:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Congrats Martin Crisp on your two big wins at the CDN Nationals. Looking forward to seeing your setups.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.