R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-30-2011, 03:11 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Default Cuda

My not so legal VTA Cuda.
Attached Thumbnails
Cuda-img-1.jpg   Cuda-img-2.jpg   Cuda-img-3.jpg   Cuda-img-4.jpg   Cuda-img-5.jpg  

DLS II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 03:23 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Love the idea! RWD!!
Thunderbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 03:31 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Just like the real thing! It definitely needs to be driven correctly. No 4WD to save your butt. Don
Old 01-30-2011, 08:01 PM   #4
Tech Adept

Where I live in upstate New York, we have a growing class of our own version of VTA with direct drive pan car chassis instead of touring car chassis. We use HPI VTA bodies only with 17.5 brushless and 1 cell lipo, and we race on a carpet road course. Cars are very quick!

We started out with only 4 guys two months ago and now have more than a dozen, with more looking to join. I personally think that VTA should be a 2wd class as the real thing was not 4wd. The only drawback to the pan car setup is you have to use standard pan car wheels and tires as the realistic looking touring car wheels that mimic the vintage wheels can not be fitted to a pan car axle. I wish someone made vintage style wheels with foam tires that fit a pan car axle.
Enforcerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 11:19 PM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enforcerman View Post
Where I live in upstate New York, we have a growing class of our own version of VTA with direct drive pan car chassis instead of touring car chassis. We use HPI VTA bodies only with 17.5 brushless and 1 cell lipo, and we race on a carpet road course. Cars are very quick!

We started out with only 4 guys two months ago and now have more than a dozen, with more looking to join. I personally think that VTA should be a 2wd class as the real thing was not 4wd. The only drawback to the pan car setup is you have to use standard pan car wheels and tires as the realistic looking touring car wheels that mimic the vintage wheels can not be fitted to a pan car axle. I wish someone made vintage style wheels with foam tires that fit a pan car axle.
There is a way to get HPI Vintage Wheels to fit on a pan car - buy the HPI F10 rear axle and front steering knckles/axles. I don't race this car, but I was testing to see if it was possible to make it work. This is an Associated 10L3 with the HPI parts and standard 26mm touring car wheels. The HPI F10 is compatible with standard pan car bearings (not metric). This conversion would not be cost effective as the HPI parts are expensive to buy individually.

The other option was the F103 GT touring car that Tamiya made (that is now discontinued). The F103 GT was designed to be a 2wd touring car that used standard touring car tires.

Last edited by IndyRC_Racer; 01-30-2011 at 11:29 PM.
IndyRC_Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:57 PM   #6
Tech Adept

IndyRC_Racer, can you please post pics of your 10L3 with the HPI parts and the touring car wheels?

Thanks for the info; I may try it out myself.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:15 PM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

These aren't the best pictures, but it should give you an idea of what I'm talking about. Excuse the wiring mess, I was quickly testing to see if this was possible.

Please note that the stock HPI F10 comes with a gear diff with 48 pitch gears. The gear diff has a bit of wobble to it, so I would recommend the ball diff (which is a bit expensive).

Also, I had to shim the rear axle to get 200mm in the rear. If you used the HPI VTA 31mm rear tires, you probably could get away without adding shims/axle spacers.
Attached Thumbnails
Cuda-rc10l3-hpi-f10-hybrid-tc-hex-wheels.jpg   Cuda-rc10l3-hpi-f10-front-spindles.jpg   Cuda-rc10l3-hpi-rear-axle.jpg  
Old 02-01-2011, 04:39 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbunny View Post
Love the idea! RWD!!
That makes it a real racecar. I think the 1/10 pancar can be used for more kinds of racing than any other cars out there.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:43 PM   #9
Tech Regular

Nice pan car setups-they are quite versatile. If you look closely my car has IRS. Don
Old 02-02-2011, 04:21 PM   #10
Tech Adept

IndyRC Racer, I like your car!!!

It is an expensive conversion, especially with the HPI ball diff; but it is worth it in my opinion. I will have to save up and get the parts. How easily did the front knuckles install?

Would you please list the HPI parts and part numbers to complete this conversion.

Thanks
Old 02-02-2011, 07:18 PM   #11
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Cool CUDA

Saw this thread title and was thinking it was about something completely different ...

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:31 PM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I've always thought a RC10DS with a custom chassis would be pretty fun to drive. I've made some feeble attempts at putting one together but the stock wheelbase is way off.

I think it's too long. However, if you rework the chassis might as well go midmotor mount...

Hmmmm.... might have to dust off that project....
pejota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:40 AM   #13
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

This could still be done with TCs of today...just take out the drive shaft/front belt?
Double D Donuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 12:52 PM   #14
Tech Regular

You can try, I think you may find the weight bias is wrong-not enough weight toward the rear. In the past I did a custom RC10DS. I flipped the trans around for a mid motor configuration and placed the batteries in front of the motor in a saddle pack. It ran pretty good. I traded it off, I may have to do that again. I just happen to have a RC10DS sitting around. Don