R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Novak brushless motor self destruction (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/47681-novak-brushless-motor-self-destruction.html)

CarnageKing 08-13-2004 11:42 PM

Novak brushless motor self destruction

My 1 month old 5800 motor self destructed the other night at our local track when the magnet appears to have slid down the shaft of the rotor towards the end bell of the motor. meaning that the rotor no longer sits in the bearing, causing the magnet to hit the outside windings in the can, this made the motor sound pretty angry. i have heard of one other person who said a similar thing happened to their motor, is this a problem for the motor that anyone knows of?

Lano 08-13-2004 11:48 PM

I have two of these units. One for about a year and the other about 4 months. Both are run frequently and I have never had any problems.

Wency_TA03R-PRO 08-14-2004 01:35 AM

My cousin got a brushless motor for about 6 months on his evo 3 and so for he doesn't have any problem on its... Considering he uses his car 6 times on saturday and sunday...

Team Duratrax 08-14-2004 01:52 AM

Get in touch with Novak and tell them about your problem.

DaNieL_KuO 08-14-2004 01:52 AM

perhaps the motor overheated causing the magnets to melt off the can and slide ?

John_S 08-14-2004 04:34 AM

brushless motors dont get hot , only the speedo does cuz theres (should be) very little friction in the motor

rcguy2477 08-14-2004 10:29 AM

Its a very common problem for the shaft to come loose from the magnet. Its happend to me, and another person at my local track. Just send it to novak, they should fix it for free

Turbo Joe 08-14-2004 10:37 AM

I had one of mine do that when they first came out. Just send it back to Novak and they'll take care of it. :cool:

I had a stuck/stripped pinion on the other one and I tried to drill and grind it off...got in a hurry, tried to...anyways...the shaft was sticking out of the connector end of the motor, through the cover. DOH!

I took it apart and tapped the shaft back into place where it was and it works fine to this day. :)

It seems like the shaft doesn't have much of a press fit to the magnet to begin with, so that if they are a tiny bit loose the shaft just walks out on its own.

kufman 08-14-2004 11:08 AM

I had the same thing happen. Send it to novak and they will take care of ya.

WC 08-14-2004 06:20 PM

Re: Novak brushless motor self destruction

Originally posted by CarnageKing
My 1 month old 5800 motor self destructed the other night at our local track when the magnet appears to have slid down the shaft of the rotor towards the end bell of the motor. meaning that the rotor no longer sits in the bearing, causing the magnet to hit the outside windings in the can, this made the motor sound pretty angry. i have heard of one other person who said a similar thing happened to their motor, is this a problem for the motor that anyone knows of?
Is this the first time you've opened the motor?

If it is, hope you know about the copper tube spacers that
sit on the shaft. Hope you haven't dropped them or put
them in the wrong position...

There has been some reports of early SS5800s coming loose
at the rotor/magnet but these were the early batches at debut.
Haven't heard any more complaints now, 1 yr on.

If you bought it locally in Oz speak to HEI, they'll help you.
If its a grey-import, contact your seller or Novak in USA direct.

I am up to 3 of these SS5800s now and thrash them mercilessly.
They work fantastic & I love 'em.

AdrianM 08-14-2004 06:23 PM

I fly brushless R/C planes. The magnet can debond from the shaft if the motor takes a hit. Its happend twice in my planes. Same thing will happen with cars too.

WC 08-15-2004 07:04 PM

No one said these things were Unbreakable...! :smile:

I've smacked mine hard enough to rip a FET off the ESC's PCB :eek: but the motor is still going strong. Shaft hasn't stabbed itself through the endbell rubber cover.