Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Could a Tamiya TA02 be competitive in VTA? >

Could a Tamiya TA02 be competitive in VTA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Could a Tamiya TA02 be competitive in VTA?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 09:56 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Questions?? Could a Tamiya TA02 be competitive in VTA?

I have a Tamiya TA-02 chassis which I could use to get started in VTA. Is it worth the time or will the car be so out classed by the more modern platforms that it won't be worth the effort?
Old 01-29-2011, 04:47 AM
Tech Regular

Maybe I should have posted this in the VTA thread...

Last edited by @Art_Mighty; 01-29-2011 at 07:51 AM.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

i dont think so. The Ta02 is very inneffiecient driveline wise. plus the upper links are very very short, the hingepins are actually not in the wheel. you would probably do better with a kyosho tf-2 tf-3, or RS4 Pro or Pro2. but not this car.i still own one and i must say its not worth the time for VTA. its good for rally though.
Old 01-29-2011, 06:27 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Go for it!

Love the TA-02 and just about every other Tamiya chassis out there. However, you just can't gear this car right to run a 25.5. You will need to be in the 4.0 FDR range. If you can talk your other racers into letting you run a Silver Can motor, I would give it a shot. Speed wise, it will be about the same as the cars running the 25.5. You will give up a bit in the corners but what the heck. If it doesn't work, all you have invested is in tires and a body. You can use those in a different chassis if you feel the TA-02 just doesn't cut the mustard. If you like Tamiya's, the TA-05 V2R is a good VTA car.

Bottom line: You aren't going to win with this chassis, but you can get out there and have fun.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:42 AM
Tech Regular

Questions?? FDR Range?

Originally Posted by woodys3b
However, you just can't gear this car right to run a 25.5. You will need to be in the 4.0 FDR range...
What does this mean?
Old 01-29-2011, 09:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Wow, and I thought I was a Tamiya junkie for trying to run a TA03 in VTA !!

That statement means that because of the mechanical limitations of the chassis and the motor mount....you simply won't be able to install the necessary gears to achieve the right gear ratio that a brushless motor requires. This is typical on many older cars. They simply weren't designed for brushless motors or lipo batteries.
It would be terrible to try and adapt the TA02 for this. You're better off with another chassis. If you like Tamiya, the TA05 or TB03 would be perfect.

Oh, FDR stands for Final Drive Ratio. Thats the gear ratio we most concern ourselves with because to high or to low and you can burn up a motor or do damage to the esc and possibly even the car.
Old 01-29-2011, 02:56 PM
Tech Regular

It would be fun to try-the best FDR I ever got was 5.75. That was with a 66T speed tuned spur and a Robinson 28T (metric 48 pitch) pinion. And I had to grind the motor mount area to get the pinion to fit! The idea of using a SC has merit, IF they will let you. Don
Old 04-26-2017, 05:25 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Built tuff with Chevy stuff

Originally Posted by Evoracer

That statement means that because of the mechanical limitations of the chassis and the motor mount....you simply won't be able to install the necessary gears to achieve the right gear ratio that a brushless motor requires. This is typical on many older cars. They simply weren't designed for brushless motors or lipo batteries.
It would be terrible to try and adapt the TA02 for this. You're better off with another chassis. If you like Tamiya, the TA05 or TB03 would be perfect.

Oh, FDR stands for Final Drive Ratio. Thats the gear ratio we most concern ourselves with because to high or to low and you can burn up a motor or do damage to the esc and possibly even the car.
I'm just going to plop a 9t brushless on one and see how it does
Old 04-26-2017, 06:38 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Evoracer

I proudly run a TB-03 in USGT and it does really really well. I have a ton of upgrades, but it is still much less than a Xray or Awesomatic

For a TA02 they have been making those things forever, and it already has the basics of what you need. ( 4wd, gear diffs ) because we all went forward to ball diffs, then back to gear diffs ( well fluid gear diffs ). The hubs are your standard Tamiya hubs so just get the CVD's length you need.

Weight will be your main issue with that chassis, along with FDR ( Final drive ratio )

The way the gears are built, you can;t just replace it with your own set like the TB03 .

I know Tamiya makes a speed tuned gear set for that car, Tam 53127 but with the design that is as best as you are going to get. I would match the Smallest Spur and larger pinion possible.

It would still be a fun car to race and extremely durable.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:21 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Metalsoft
I proudly run a TB-03 in USGT and it does really really well. I have a ton of upgrades, but it is still much less than a Xray or Awesomatic

For a TA02 they have been making those things forever, and it already has the basics of what you need. ( 4wd, gear diffs ) because we all went forward to ball diffs, then back to gear diffs ( well fluid gear diffs ). The hubs are your standard Tamiya hubs so just get the CVD's length you need.

Weight will be your main issue with that chassis, along with FDR ( Final drive ratio )

The way the gears are built, you can;t just replace it with your own set like the TB03 .

I know Tamiya makes a speed tuned gear set for that car, Tam 53127 but with the design that is as best as you are going to get. I would match the Smallest Spur and larger pinion possible.

It would still be a fun car to race and extremely durable.
First off, the hubs and CVDs aren't exactly standard. They use two mismatched bearings, a 1510 and a 1260. You need a specialty CVD. Secondly, those unsealed gear diffs are rubbish, the compatible ball diffs work much better.

Also, this is a zombie thread. That post you just replied to is over 6 years old.
Old 04-27-2017, 04:28 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gigaplex
First off, the hubs and CVDs aren't exactly standard. They use two mismatched bearings, a 1510 and a 1260. You need a specialty CVD. Secondly, those unsealed gear diffs are rubbish, the compatible ball diffs work much better.

Also, this is a zombie thread. That post you just replied to is over 6 years old.
Well.....
Old 04-29-2017, 09:19 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by gigaplex

The rear uses standard tamiya axles, but in the front you need the CC-01 axles. The 40th Anniversary TA02 kit comes with them standard.
Old 05-01-2017, 03:40 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by @Art_Mighty

I have a Tamiya TA-02 chassis which I could use to get started in VTA. Is it worth the time or will the car be so out classed by the more modern platforms that it won't be worth the effort?
NO .

I see that is an old post now.

6 years ago i still would have said NO!

Last edited by Lone Drifter; 05-01-2017 at 04:02 PM.