R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-29-2004, 03:00 AM   #91
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Adam Hartzell

Quote:
Originally posted by Evicerator

What works fine for Person A might not work perfectly for Person B. In an effort to "cover as much ground as possible as quickly as possible" we enlisted the help of many of our team drivers. Believe me when I say that the public will be getting a better product in their hands because of the input of all the drivers and feedback that we've recieved durring this testing period.
Thats why I'll be buying a GTX. Blackstock was given one to run in 1/12 and that is a class that most companies ignor. That just also happens to be my favorite.
Adam Hartzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 03:14 AM   #92
Tech Master

Hi friends. Greetings from Malta.

The amount of childish bitching in the last 2 pages of this tread is pitiful. Wouldn't that space have been much better used had these critics, who presumably know a bit about speedos and RC electronics, used it to help people asking technical questions.

I have been in RC racing for a number of years and have used most manufacturers products. We settled for Novak some years ago for the very simple reason that we always get far better feedback, help and after sales service from them than we ever did from any other manufacturer.

Novak's system of testing their products by giving them to top drivers and teams well before public release should be commended. What better way to iron out the bugs before putting their products on the market!

As for after sales, I just cannot believe the help and attention I have always got from Novak employees, and the interest they take in our racing.

In closing I would rather have a speedo that weights a bit more and is a bit bigger than the competition but performs well, and for which I can get first hand help from experts.

Now of course, with the GTX even that is a thing of the past. Now I can have a speedo that's as small, as light, as good if not better, and still have Novak's excellent after sales service, which is second to none.
johnbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 10:23 AM   #93

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to StephenSobottka

Thanks Steve
Old 08-29-2004, 11:57 AM   #94
The Evicerator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Thanks for all the support guys!
Old 08-29-2004, 11:59 AM   #95
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by GundamWZero
I think you got it wrong partner, Tekin never went out of business. They stopped selling their speedos, which was the bulk of their product line. As far as the rest, they continues with selling their chargers and maintained their product support line, i.e. customer service. Don't ask me why they stopped developing speedos, I am not the CEO.

Dude... read the Tekin website.... new owner... moved company to Idaho. Read some other forums about how people couldnt get their products serviced... no one answered the phones... no email responces... thats close enough to going out of business to me.
http://www.teamtekin.com/
ottoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 06:56 PM   #96
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to GundamWZero Send a message via Yahoo to GundamWZero Send a message via Skype™ to GundamWZero

Quote:
GundamWZero-- The reason why more than one or two people have run these ESCs before they have been released is simply because no two people are exactly alike. What works fine for Person A might not work perfectly for Person B. In an effort to "cover as much ground as possible as quickly as possible" we enlisted the help of many of our team drivers. Believe me when I say that the public will be getting a better product in their hands because of the input of all the drivers and feedback that we've recieved durring this testing period.
Good now that I have a rep here.....explain some things a little clearer......

Why race the speedos at Nationals? You know what I mean. I am not trying to bash Novak......like I said before I own quite a few of their products. I know that R&D is done elsewhere and most, if not all, of the bugs are already eliminated. So when Novak introduce these top-of-the line speedos at sanctioned events, before you sell them to the public, you call that product testing? Why not just build you own testing facility to test your speedos? As far as I understood the GTX dominated a few events before it was released.....what, the old ones weren't good enough? Look, I can't drive worth a lick compared to your sponsered drivers, but at least give the local racer a bit more of a playing field when they are trying to attain a big win. Heck, I know that the major automotive companies won't put an untested race car on the track for a race without first working out all the problems at their own facility. You can either PM or e-mail me to discuss this further. Like one said, this isn't a bashing thread and I don't want it that way. But in my eyes, this is cheating and I hope you can convince me otherwise.

‎"We fight not because we hate what's in front of us...
We fight to protect whats behind us."
GundamWZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 07:11 PM   #97
R/C Tech Founder
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

I can see not running prototypes in stock. But modified? Run whatever you want! That's the point of modified. If putting space-age ketchup in your shocks will make you faster, then by all means do it, even if the average Joe racer can't do it.

Private tracks are no substitute for real race conditions. Why do you think companies like Honda and Toyota (or whoever else) pour millions of dollars into racing, and then sell consumer cars and not race cars? They test their products and design theories in the harshest of conditions--making a name for themselves while doing so--and it makes it worthwhile.
Old 08-29-2004, 07:25 PM   #98
Tech Elite

Send a message via MSN to GundamWZero Send a message via Yahoo to GundamWZero Send a message via Skype™ to GundamWZero

Quote:
Originally posted by futureal
I can see not running prototypes in stock. But modified? Run whatever you want! That's the point of modified. If putting space-age ketchup in your shocks will make you faster, then by all means do it, even if the average Joe racer can't do it.

Private tracks are no substitute for real race conditions. Why do you think companies like Honda and Toyota (or whoever else) pour millions of dollars into racing, and then sell consumer cars and not race cars? They test their products and design theories in the harshest of conditions--making a name for themselves while doing so--and it makes it worthwhile.
But I am sure that Novak have more than one driver, as far as my guess, it could be at least three. Like you said, real race conditions. Three Novak sponsored drivers skull draging three speedos on a track at their facility.......

Maybe I am being too one sided about it. I just don't like the idea of some poor kid cutting grass, or guy busting his butt overtime for six months to obtain the necessary equipment to race competitively a national event, then get squashed by a sponsered driver using equipment the next guy can't get.

Level the playing field, that is what I want.

Old 08-29-2004, 07:29 PM   #99
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Do you honestly think none of the other manufacturers of any product give their drivers prototype products to run at large sanctioned events? I mean, these kind of events are where the newest products usually show up first. If you look in almost any magazine's race coverage of any major event you'll notice that every time, there's a side bar on new products seen in the pits. Real race conditions are where the best testing is done. I guarantee there isn't a factory driver out there running motors just like the ones you get off the shelf at a hobby store. Why is that not cheating but it is cheating for Novak to run prototype speedo's that haven't been released to the public yet?
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 07:39 PM   #100
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by jkerr0043
Do you honestly think none of the other manufacturers of any product give their drivers prototype products to run at large sanctioned events? I mean, these kind of events are where the newest products usually show up first. If you look in almost any magazine's race coverage of any major event you'll notice that every time, there's a side bar on new products seen in the pits. Real race conditions are where the best testing is done. I guarantee there isn't a factory driver out there running motors just like the ones you get off the shelf at a hobby store. Why is that not cheating but it is cheating for Novak to run prototype speedo's that haven't been released to the public yet?
It is cheating for any manufacturer to race products that the public can't buy. It is like playing poker with a stacked deck! Can you win with the cards stacked against you? I sure can't, even if I tried. I know where some of you are trying to go with this, but if you want to test a product, why not have their sponsered drivers invite a few of their friends for a friendly race on a weekend, and test the new products there? Not on a Sanction race where not only where other sponsered drivers race but where locals try to make a name for themselves in this business.

Old 08-29-2004, 07:45 PM   #101
Tech Regular

Gundam, you race some valid points but I feel it would be fairer for you to start a new thread. I doubt Novak are alone in using prototype equipment in races.
Old 08-29-2004, 07:45 PM   #102
Tech Champion

99.99% of the time, the locals would not be able to compete with the factory racers no matter what equipment they used. I have a couple sponsors. I couldn't run with Kinwald or Francis or any of those guys if I had all the prototypes in the world and they had to run with box stock equipment from the local hobby store. They'd still kick my butt and pretty much any local racer out there as well. They're on another level than everyone else. They compete among each other.
Old 08-29-2004, 07:53 PM   #103
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to JDXray

When is the GTX coming out? I am pretty interested.
JDXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 07:56 PM   #104
The Evicerator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Grr... I had this long post all writtten out and it's out there lost on the internet somewhere

Anyways, most everyone has made the points I was going to make ... The drivers who won these events would have probably won them with GT7. The GTX is a step forward from the GT7, but you cannot discount the fact that it's not just the ESC that determines who will win an event. All the equipment pays a large part of the equation, but someone has to DRIVE it.

And yes, a few drivers get these units to test before these big races, but it is impossible to recreate the conditions that occur at these races at a limited test facility.

You cannot create the amounts of traction found at snowbirds, cleveland and the carpet nats at a small indoor asphalt test facility.

You cannot recreate the amounts of traction/size/track temp of a large outdoor asphalt track in the summer at a small indoor asphalt test facility.

I hope this makes sense to you.

Also, at these large events, it's impossible for one or two drivers to test every combination transmitter/receiver/motor/battery/car. So that's part of the reason we have multiple drivers test these test units at large events...

IT IS ALL IN AN EFFORT TO BRING THE BEST PRODUCT TO THE CONSUMER THAT IS POSSBLE.

Also, it's not impossible, but it's highly unlikely that some unknown kid mowing lawns a week before the nationals is going throw down and win the nationals
Old 08-29-2004, 08:02 PM   #105
Tech Champion

Quote:

IT IS ALL IN AN EFFORT TO BRING THE BEST PRODUCT TO THE CONSUMER THAT IS POSSBLE.

Also, it's not impossible, but it's highly unlikely that some unknown kid mowing lawns a week before the nationals is going throw down and win the nationals
Well put Steve.