R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-28-2004, 08:33 PM   #76
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TeamButter

Brandt-I believe that the speedo will be available in October. Sorry but I do not have a firm release date. Besides that, how are you doing? How's the car?

Mike A
Old 08-28-2004, 09:08 PM   #77
Suspended

What in the crap does "Ozwald Bates" mean? Maybe it should be "Master Bates"! I don't know why Tekin went out of business the way they did. I do know for a fact that they had the lowest product return rate of all the r/c electronics manufacturers. They probably didn't make enough money from product returns to keep the doors open. You should never have to return something if it never quits on you. I'll tell you why their products were ahead of their time. They were one of the first companies to incorporate surface mount technology into their ESCs. They also designed special circuitry that didn't require the use of an external trash can or diodes. What other company has made such advancements? For example, the G-9 had the highest frequency (17,000hz) and an internal capacitor board to recover any power loss from such a high switching rate, and they made it at least 2 years before Novak was able to design and release the Cyclone (the best ESC Novak has ever made). By the time you add the cap and Schottky to the GT7 you have something much bigger than a garage door opener. I've read tons of threads pertaining to alot of "orange smoke" floating around tracks. I believe I smell it now. Nah, that's the stink from this forum!
tmeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 10:34 PM   #78
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I've been running GT7's since the week they were released. I have four of them now in various cars. including the first one I bought. Not one problem with them ever! As Ozwald said, I was considering giving Tekin a try when they released something new, but eventhough you aren't a rep for them, you've turned me off of their product completely now. If you think this forum stinks so much, get the hell off of it.
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 10:43 PM   #79
Tech Master

I smell a ban
FW-05RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 10:53 PM   #80
Suspended

I would leave this site, but I've got a little more product bashing to do. Everyone in this world deserves to voice their opinion and I'm doing just that. These guys that work for Novak claim that they're here to help people with their setups, but you know they're here to push new products and to encourage you guys into buying them. Why do you guys think Novak designed another ESC in such a short time? Maybe it was because of Tekin starting back up. Maybe it was because of all the problems encountered with the GliTching 7. BTW, it's funny that Novak, Keyence, KO and a few others are represented on this site, but you don't see anybody from Tekin. I guess reputation alone is enough to sell a product. I've said my peace, but I'll be back!!!
Old 08-28-2004, 10:54 PM   #81
Suspended

Quote:
Originally posted by FW05R
I smell a ban
Ban who? Surely not me. Haven't you noticed that's what I'm trying to accomplish, but you guys don't have the spine to do it.
Old 08-28-2004, 10:56 PM   #82
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

what is this all about??? why are we arguing on why tekin go broke or why there is orange smoke??? I think it all depending on personal preferences on which brand he/she like to use.. in regards of product technical knowledge...IMO

IMO,... no matter what brand, if it fail it will fail...
cheer up guys.... I am just the end user.... let the manufacturer decide on who's product is better than the others
Old 08-28-2004, 10:58 PM   #83
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by tmeeks
Ban who? Surely not me. Haven't you noticed that's what I'm trying to accomplish, but you guys don't have the spine to do it.
Done!
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 11:01 PM   #84

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to StephenSobottka

This is stupid meeks. I hope Shane bans you for dissing someone elses product. If you don't like it then don't buy it.
Old 08-29-2004, 12:04 AM   #85
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to GundamWZero Send a message via Yahoo to GundamWZero Send a message via Skype™ to GundamWZero

Quote:
Originally posted by tmeeks
What in the crap does "Ozwald Bates" mean? Maybe it should be "Master Bates"!
"Master Bates"!!!!

This is great! its is gonna be locked for sure!!!!!!

Now that I nearly busted a spleen, I don't see what the fuss is about. I am chaffed that a company would hand out "R&D" speedos (which had already been "r&d'd") to their drivers at a Worlds and National event before it was sold to the public....some people may call it fair, but I don't but really, who cares? I, in fact do, but my opinion is just a tear in the bucket.
I ran with both Tekin and Novak for a while and I can attest that Tekin does put out high quality speedos. So what if they almost went out of business? "ALMOST" isn't good enough! Novak makes high quality speedos and mass marketed their product. Then on top of that, they threw out unnecessary after products to support their line up. Who remember the Pit Wizzard? Product got discontinued as soon as many drivers showed up with the Cyclone series speedos in their cars. I was one of them. Now it is this power inverter that you can buy at any electronic store (fortunately, being in the armed forces, I have access to some inverters cause an idiot doesn't know how to use them correctly), and people gobble them up like candy. And for those who are wondering, I do have a Cyclone TC2 in my car.

In closing I say, "welcome back Tekin". It will be a healthy challenge to both the companies, their drivers and to you customers. Now with that being said, let me see if this Carson Speedo is worth a crap.

‎"We fight not because we hate what's in front of us...
We fight to protect whats behind us."
GundamWZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 12:28 AM   #86
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Tekin DID go out of business.... I wont buy their products untill I see that they will stay in business this time. I dont care how great people say a product is... any electronic part can fail... even if its due to abuse I want to know it can get serviced.
I thought I had a problem with my GT7 at last years Novak race... I went up to Charlie from Novak and asked him about it and he just handed me a new one.... it turned out it wasnt the speed control but he told me to keep the new one anyway... thats the type of service Novak gives.... on the other hand there is no way to know about the latest version of the Tekin company's support or the quality of its products... remember its under new ownership/management and they just started shipping products this summer. So before you tell me how great Tekin is.... maybe that should be "was"... lets wait and watch for a while to see how the "New" Tekin fares.

Last edited by ottoman; 08-29-2004 at 12:34 AM.
ottoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 01:08 AM   #87
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to GundamWZero Send a message via Yahoo to GundamWZero Send a message via Skype™ to GundamWZero

Quote:
Originally posted by ottoman
Tekin DID go out of business.... I wont buy their products untill I see that they will stay in business this time. I dont care how great people say a product is... any electronic part can fail... even if its due to abuse I want to know it can get serviced.
I thought I had a problem with my GT7 at last years Novak race... I went up to Charlie from Novak and asked him about it and he just handed me a new one.... it turned out it wasnt the speed control but he told me to keep the new one anyway... thats the type of service Novak gives.... on the other hand there is no way to know about the latest version of the Tekin company's support or the quality of its products... remember its under new ownership/management and they just started shipping products this summer. So before you tell me how great Tekin is.... maybe that should be "was"... lets wait and watch for a while to see how the "New" Tekin fares.
I think you got it wrong partner, Tekin never went out of business. They stopped selling their speedos, which was the bulk of their product line. As far as the rest, they continues with selling their chargers and maintained their product support line, i.e. customer service. Don't ask me why they stopped developing speedos, I am not the CEO.

As far as support of products, you said it yourself, you was at a Novak Sponsered Event. Of course they are gonna give you a new speedo......they had plenty to give! If I was there with a Tamyia Fox converted to a on road racer, I'd probally got one too. What you describe to me wasn't customer support, that was public relations. Try that at a Worlds or National event and see if you'd get another, "just like that".

I not going to wait for either Novak or Tekin to come out with a "hot, high speed, technologically advanced speedo". I like my Cyclone TC2 very much and the next speedo I will buy will be an Aveox.....

‎"We fight not because we hate what's in front of us...
We fight to protect whats behind us."
GundamWZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 01:30 AM   #88

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

tmeeks, if you have intelligent arguements against Novak, that is fine, but please don't use this thread to bash the company, as that is not it's purpose.

Thanks,
Josh
Speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 02:37 AM   #89
The Evicerator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Wow, look at the utter chaos that has been unleashed in this thread!

This thread started out as a vehicle to discuss Novak's new GTX and it's turned into everyone and their brother either bashing Novak or trying to get up on a soapbox and make waves by trying the old "Oh yeah well my dad..." trick.

Yes, I work for Novak. Yes I get free Novak product. I do not get paid to come online and try to hype things up. As a representative of the company it's part of my job to answer any questions that people have and that's what I'm going to do. I will not bash a competitor's product or practices. What I can do is shed some light on Novak's side of things.

First, to answer some questions and address a few "accusations":

Weylan(WR?)--

It's hard to quantitativly back up on track testing with 1 vs. 2 power capacitors. There are times I've run 1 vs. 2 back to back and thought 2 gave a little better low end and mid range throttle response... but there have also been other times that I haven't felt the difference. I would say that if you feel like you might be at a disadvantage just running one, go ahead and run two. Most of the time we need to add weight to our cars to bring them up to minimum weight anyways. Why not make that weight useful? (At the very least it's not harmful)

What I have seen time and time again back in the lab is that with modern high current draw motors the use of power capacitors (1 or 2) nearly always result in faster spool up times than without capacitors.

Last edited by Steve Weiss; 08-29-2004 at 02:57 AM.
Steve Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 02:55 AM   #90
The Evicerator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Stephen Sobottka-- We recommend the use of the power capacitor with the GTX. It will keep the ESC running cooler and will offer better overall motor performance. I've tested with and without the capacitors and time and time again observed that when running without the power cap, the esc will run hotter and the motor will not feel as responsive in the low and mid rpm ranges.

tmeeks- I'm sorry to disappoint you, but development on the GTX began at Novak well over a year ago and it wasn't in response to Tekin re-opening their doors this spring.

New technologies and new products are always being designed and Novak tries to keep abreast of these new developments and incorporate them into our product line. The GTX is simply the culmination of testing that we have been doing over the past year-and-a-half and the use of the newest/best technology available.

GundamWZero-- The reason why more than one or two people have run these ESCs before they have been released is simply because no two people are exactly alike. What works fine for Person A might not work perfectly for Person B. In an effort to "cover as much ground as possible as quickly as possible" we enlisted the help of many of our team drivers. Believe me when I say that the public will be getting a better product in their hands because of the input of all the drivers and feedback that we've recieved durring this testing period.