R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-06-2004, 04:56 PM   #376
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally posted by JimMcClure
At my local track with lots and lots of practice the gtx makes faster laps than my gt7. I ran pack after pack and checked lap times using both. The fastest lap times for me came with the gtx. Say what you want but the gtx is a far superior product. Evolution over time is what makes all the electronics better. Better made parts and closer tolerances. If your hitting the walls around every corner Im pretty sure a cyclone would be just fine. But when you fight for tenths over the next position Im gonna have the newest and best esc strapped in for the ride.

Were you running stock or modified? I have no idea what range of temperatures a GTX might operate at, but we all know heat is a very important determining factor in power output and efficiency.
2BAD4ALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 07:22 PM   #377
Tech Adept

I was running stock monster motors in a xxx-s. I am not the fastest driver but I spend endless hours at the local track with the lap counting system on running very consistent laps. The gtx was 2 tenths to a half a second better on lap times every time. I had the gtx in mode three and the gt7 in "agressive stock". Today I played with the gtx and just by changing from profile 3 to profile 2 I picked up a tenth or two. Very intersting the things that can be learned by practicing and experimenting. Hopefully it will all pay of in the mains tomorrow.
JimMcClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 01:28 PM   #378
Tech Apprentice

Any more of you guys do any GTX vs. ??? comparisons yet?
2BAD4ALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 02:25 PM   #379
Tech Master

Well, I didn't get a chance to have my friend do the back to back test. Our time at the track was cut short by my late arrival and the fact I forgot to bring my GTX with. I run Brushless in my car so I just forgot sorry.

I really like Jim's notes though. We should put that on the box
Old 11-08-2004, 09:06 PM   #380
Tech Regular

Thumbs up Thanks Charlie

Charlie

Thanks for fixing my Novak Brushless ESC by replacing the cut switch wire with a new switch assembly. That's why I run Novak stuff......the warranty and service is hard to beat - thanks again.
Ducati-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 10:20 PM   #381
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

ESC guys, one question...

Anything wrong with replacing the capacitor that comes with the tc2 esc with a 10,000uF/16V "ordinary" capacitor?
rough512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 10:45 PM   #382

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Haha, yeah .2 - .5 of a second per lap would be great Can't say I believe that in the least, but it would be great nonetheless!
Speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 11:12 PM   #383
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Smile

I'm not installing the bigger cap for added performance... I just don't have the original Novak part. But if it would enhance the performance then it would be a bonus

rough512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 05:09 AM   #384
Tech Champion

What is maximum amperage on GTX's Fet rating ?

Will it survive under this condition ?

37 degree Celcius with 70% humidity
7 turn modified motor
1 30A schottky diode
1 2200uF 10V capacitor
No heatsink on FET
Dusty and bumpy tracks
Novice driver.... expect lots of crashes
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 05:33 AM   #385
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by asw7576

7 turn modified motor
1 30A schottky diode
1 2200uF 10V capacitor
No heatsink on FET
Dusty and bumpy tracks
Will it survive? Yes. definately.

We run in those sort of conditions most of the time and have never had any problems.

Whenever there have been problems with Novak equipment it has almost always been due to incorrect application or use, rarely due to factory fault, yet Novak are always so good with after sales service and repairs.

I certainly don't have any reason to look elsewhere. Besides, cars equipped with Novak speedos have won 6 National championships in the last 6 years here, so why change.
johnbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 08:08 AM   #386
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by asw7576

7 turn modified motor
1 30A schottky diode
1 2200uF 10V capacitor
No heatsink on FET
Dusty and bumpy tracks
You'll have no problem in those conditions. BTW Novak is one of the very few manufacturers that have a thermal overload switch build in that actuly works! If the ESC shuts down due to temp, just let it cool and it will work again.

Regards
Hardriven RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 11:36 AM   #387
Tech Master

Yes, the ESC should be fine. We run them with out Schottky Diodes if you don't run brakes. The heatsink cannot be removed though.

The only problem we've seen with "Lots Of Crashes" is that due to the small footprint, the ESC is more easily pulled out if your pack comes loose from the chassis. But if you're wrecking that bad, you expect some problems right.
Old 11-11-2004, 02:04 PM   #388
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

First off a buddy was telling me there is some sort of softwear upgrade for the GTX? Is this ture?

Also i dont know whats going on with my car... for the first 10 seconds of a warm up lap my car glitches slightly in the steering, and throttle, only when i apply throttle? I own a GTX, ko 2123 fet servo /w fet choke. 19 turn chameleon Spec motor and Peak 3300 1.890 batts, and a 3PDF Futaba Radio. I check the plugs on the servo and replaced them, i thought that might of been the problem. As I stated above it only occurs 10 seconds into my warm up lap and then goes away during the race.

Thanks

Edward
EDWARD2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 02:12 PM   #389
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Are you breaking in your brushes before you put a fresh cut motor in the car? The arching created by unseated brushes can cause glitching.
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 02:53 PM   #390
Tech Master

Yes, sounds like the Brushes getting seated is all. If it comes and goes over and over again, I don't really know. It's hard to think of anything in the ESC would have an issue that goes away after 10 seconds. Usually if the electronics are the problem, they are fairly consistant. Try a differnt motor/ different Servo and Different receiver if you want to see if it is the ESC. You can change the ESC, but sometimes that is not proving the ESC is the problem, unless you replace it with the Identical ESC model.

I'll look into the update for you. I'm sure it was nothing major. So far the GTX has been great. I've only gotten 3-5 back from Customers. 2 were crash damage, one was connected wrong, the other 2 were Misc parts problems internally.

Thanks
Charlie