R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-01-2004, 03:45 PM   #361
Tech Master

Send a message via MSN to raving-monkey

yeah the switch is pretty easy to switch on and off and i have had it switch off when i have been tboned etc..i have just repositioned it and it should be ok now
raving-monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 04:52 PM   #362
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Elkewlbeanz

I experienced the same problem my first time out on the track with it.. got 7 laps in..in first place then no more go.. I just positioned the switch perpendicular to the length of the chassis and it hasnt switched off on me since. Great speedy though!!
Elkewlbeanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 05:00 PM   #363
Tech Regular

Guys,

That the GTX is a great esc stands without a doubt, if it biggest (only?) problem is the on/off switch. The question however was "How does it stack up against an Novak Cyclone?"

Anyone other then Charlie
Hardriven RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 05:07 PM   #364
Tech Master

So, noone really has done that comparison evidently. Would you like my comments on this one??? If not just don't read the following.

The GTX is better the Cyclone, no lie. I wouldn't do that. But I don't think you'd win or loose a race over the difference. The GTX is just more responsive, and efficient. The difference would show up more under heavier loads. But in the same respect, every little bit helps with stock motors.

Were are the team drivers when you need them. I can see about asking someone to Try a GTX back to Back against a GT7 or Cyclone this weekend. Me and a few buddies might be venturing out to Tamiya Track for some practice this weekend.

Thanks,
Charlie
Old 11-02-2004, 11:48 PM   #365

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

A back to back test would be very informative, provided that the results are objective and unbiased.
Speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 04:30 AM   #366
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Charlie
So, noone really has done that comparison evidently. Would you like my comments on this one??? If not just don't read the following.

The GTX is better the Cyclone, no lie. I wouldn't do that. But I don't think you'd win or loose a race over the difference. The GTX is just more responsive, and efficient. The difference would show up more under heavier loads. But in the same respect, every little bit helps with stock motors.

Were are the team drivers when you need them. I can see about asking someone to Try a GTX back to Back against a GT7 or Cyclone this weekend. Me and a few buddies might be venturing out to Tamiya Track for some practice this weekend.

Thanks,
Charlie
Charlie,

A comparrison would be nice, but can you have the guys that do the back to back test come on here to state their findings? Yours are welcome to

Regards
Roy
Hardriven RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 07:01 AM   #367
Tech Fanatic

Default gtx

I have run the GT7 and TC2 for the past few years. After trying the GTX at the worlds, I can say that it feels punchier than the GT7. Plus the ligther weight helps me with the weight balance on my 415 or EVO 4.
Old 11-03-2004, 02:09 PM   #368
Tech Apprentice

I have been a Novak user and supporter for many years, but I find it hard to believe that any ESC could be any better than a Cyclone. Most people agree that it's the best speedo ever built. I really don't see why alot of guys think it's too big to use. Ever take a look at one of those GIANT Tekins??? The only downside to using a Cyclone is not having on-board programming (except for the 3 programs built-in), but having an endless amount of adjustments gets old, as most things do. How many do you really need? Anyway, good luck on the comparison. Make sure part of the testing involves temperature changes in various situations. I've yet to see my Cyclone break a sweat. Let the results speak for themselves!
2BAD4ALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 03:28 PM   #369
Tech Master

Well, I won't argue with that. I love the Cyclones too. I was a big fan of the PitWizard and all that custom stuff. Lots of fun, you could even just play head games in the pits with people. But Smaller and lighter is always a good thing.
Old 11-04-2004, 01:16 AM   #370
Tech Adept

I haven't been back through the whole thread but I have a slight comment to make regarding the GTX program button.

OK I changed 10 things on the car, chassis, brushes, steering mounts on and on. Yeah I know one change at a time test, change etc. but who has time for all that. To get to the point I arrive at the track and have a huge panic attack because I have steering but no drive. After checking for sticking brushes, another motor, another receiver, panic, panic I find the program button has stuck in duh. relief all round.

How do I like it - rapt I've brought another for my on order car to be ready when when it arrives.
Cheers
Peter
Pedro 51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 02:57 AM   #371
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by Speedo
Here's a question for you guys running a GTX (or other current ESC), who also have experience with Novak's older speed controls:

Switching from a Cyclone, to a GTX, or QC2, etc, is there really a noticeable difference?

I've been running Cyclones for years, and don't really see any reason to switch because I'm perfectly happy with them, but I am interested to hear the perspective of racers who are running current ESC's.

josh

.... ha...ha... ha... this is good question !!

I have these ( GT7, Cyclone TC, LRP QC2, LRP V7.1, Tekin G-9 ) except GTX, u know what ?? I feel indifference using those ESCs..... same speed, same power, same feeling. I buy expensive ESC because I believe it will deliver MORE power and speed ??.... perhaps I'm wrong, actually they are the same..... the difference is size, FET rating and reliability factor.

My advice: learn how to set up the car correctly and learn to drive competitively. I've seen seasoned racer with Cyclone TC beat racers with latest ESC ( including me ).
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 04:22 AM   #372
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Elkewlbeanz

That happens!.. Lots of money but not enough "cents"
Elkewlbeanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 02:44 PM   #373
Tech Master

Yes, I'll have to agree, money spent on practice time may be the best spent.
Old 11-04-2004, 02:49 PM   #374
Tech Master

whats up Charlie!!!!

Your the man!!!

See yaa soon HEHE
rangulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 08:13 AM   #375
Tech Adept

At my local track with lots and lots of practice the gtx makes faster laps than my gt7. I ran pack after pack and checked lap times using both. The fastest lap times for me came with the gtx. Say what you want but the gtx is a far superior product. Evolution over time is what makes all the electronics better. Better made parts and closer tolerances. If your hitting the walls around every corner Im pretty sure a cyclone would be just fine. But when you fight for tenths over the next position Im gonna have the newest and best esc strapped in for the ride.
JimMcClure is offline   Reply With Quote