R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-12-2004, 08:43 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Servos

JR 4750 servos are always a good choice. They aren't the fastest or the highest torque, but they are very smooth and reliable.

3PK too heavy??? Get in the gym
071crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 08:47 PM   #17
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

On speed controlers their are alot of good ones out their,I like the LRP V7.1,the only draw back is it's on the large size,For stock racing I allways thought the GT7 was on the soft side(not alot of punch)On the radios it's all up to you and what you want,heck I got rid of an M8 and kept my MX3.. I would go to a hobby shop and try a few radios and see how they feel,most of the guy's that have the upper end radios never use the features that the radio has.I am also a believer in the buy once,but I also believe in dont buy what you dont need or use.I would look at a few radios like JR's XS3pro,Airtronics MX3S both radios are synthesized(you dont need crystals)have all the features you need and dont cost a lot of money.I would invest in as good of a charger as you can afford,I would also buy good batterys and a few trays.In RC racing your support equipment is IMHO the most important,good chargers,tools etc.,I get a new TC about every 2 mo.. but my support equipment stays the same,nothing like a good set of tools..
Oasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 09:00 PM   #18
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to jigga21
Smile Thanks for the help....this forum is great!

I'm getting a lot of great feedback from you guys, but I still have some questions.

071crazy mentioned building it with a plastic chassis. Is that the "Composite Chassis" they have listed as a part on the Team XRAY site? Also, what's the advantage of the graphite chassis that comes with it, is it just weight?

As for the motor and ESC, I need an ESC that can handle the turns from the motor, correct? So if I go with the Novak GT7, I need to get a motor that it can handle....am I understanding this correctly? Seems the Novak doesn't have any motor limits. So does that mean I can use any brush motor no matter how many turns?

Just read this about the Novak:
This Speed Control Does Not Include Any Motor or Battery Connectors, use DTXC2300 for Powerpole connectors or WSDM3001 Ultra Plugs. Soldering wires and connectors onto speed control. (does anyone know where I can get directions on how to do this?)

I've managed to spark the interest of a couple of my buddys at work, but they want to see if I bust on this before jumping into it. They also want to jump right into nitro cars, but I'd rather start with the electric.
jigga21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 09:05 PM   #19
Tech Elite

composite=plastic in this case.

The graphite is a little lighter, probably a little stiffer, making your car more responsive. But, it probably isn't worth bashing around while still learning about the car and its handling.

The GT7 will handle any motor that you would probably throw at it, so there's nothing to worry about. Novak has been around forever, and you'll be able to run a GT7 for many years. Heck, I run a cyclone (not C2) in my TC, and it's 6 years old and still rockin!
Old 08-12-2004, 09:21 PM   #20
Tech Lord

And the C2 is better than the GT7..just an opinion..
Old 08-12-2004, 09:29 PM   #21
Tech Elite

the cyclone seems to be rock solid. If you can find one for cheap, that would be a damn good spare. I've never had to worry about it shutting down, even running 9 doubles in 90 degree heat!
Old 08-13-2004, 12:04 AM   #22
Tech Adept

Okay, so after some getting your advice and some research, I've narrowed it down to either the Reedy MVP Stock or the Trinity Monster Stock Motor. I know I need pinion gears, but what kind I'm not sure of. Also, when I looked up the Trinity Motor it mentioned the "Golden No Solder Motor Leads". Should I use these or are there better leads out there that don't require me to solder.

Also, BATTERIES are expensive. I'm trying to find the saddle pack for the XRay but couldn't find it on towerhobbies so I have to check other places. What's a good battery??? Epic, Sanyo, Panasonic?
Old 08-13-2004, 12:30 AM   #23
Tech Master

GT7 is a great ESC...I like it better than my IPCv7.1..too bad it was just borrowed. Lots of punch and very smooth powerband

I kinda listed an econo package because usually newbs don't like spending a ton of cash on jsut one thing

GT7 is one of my favorites...followed by the IPCv7.1
The Black Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 12:32 AM   #24
Tech Master

BTW LEARN TO SOLDER...do yourself a favor...Don't use the non-solder stuff

Plus...Use deans plugs...do yourself 2 favores

Go on Ebay and get some generic 3000mah batterys for cheap

The best battery is the GP3300. Don't buy batteries on TowerHobbies though...Check Speedtech RC out for a lot of stuff...Click Speedtech RC in my signature VVdownVV
The Black Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 08:04 AM   #25
Tech Lord

I hated my GT7(I had one of the first ones)I like my C2 more..even if the pit wizzard is a pain.. But then I dont think much of the TC-3 either.. joking dan
Old 08-14-2004, 07:46 AM   #26
Tech Adept

Default Ordering parts this weekend, some advice needed.

I'm going to order these parts but I want to get some advice from the experts here first.

Novak GT7
Futaba S9550 Servo
Trinity Monster Stock or Associated MVP Stock (can't decide)

Can someone tell me what extra parts I need for these items?

The MVP Stock comes with capacitors, do I need leads for this also? If I get the Monster Stock, what extra parts do I need to connect it?

What's deans plugs used for?

Anybody know where a good newbie site is for connecting these components?
Old 08-14-2004, 10:06 AM   #27
Tech Regular

Get the monster they're very good and if you get stuck most people will help out with gearing etc

www.balkracing.com is a great site shows you how to solder etc helped me out alot
Chazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 10:07 AM   #28
Tech Regular

sorry www.balakracing.com
Chazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 10:09 AM   #29
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

the monster stock also comes with capacitors, and you dont need leads as they should be premounted on the motor hood.

you wont need any parts to connect the motors to the esc, just solder the leads onto the motor terminals. however, you will need to buy a few 48P pinion gears.

deans plugs are good for connecting your batteries to your esc, however as you will need to run saddle packs with the xray some corraly bullet plugs will be much easier to manage...
domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 11:53 AM   #30
Tech Adept

Quote:
you wont need any parts to connect the motors to the esc, just solder the leads onto the motor terminals. however, you will need to buy a few 48P pinion gears.
The XRAY comes with a Spur Gear 93T/48, how do I know what size pinion gear to get? I searched the message board and found one post that tried to explain it but it confused me more.

Any Suggestions?

Also, I got the HPI V-Groove tires, should I get the foam inserts or use the foam that came with them?