Wiki Posts
Search

Tire Traction Compounds

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 01:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Tire Traction Compounds

Curious what you guys are using for this. We will be racing rubber tire on carpet. Paragon Tire or Muchmore Racing V Made Acute Carpet Tire Traction. Cleaning tires, etc.?
Old 01-23-2011, 04:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SNIPR
Curious what you guys are using for this. We will be racing rubber tire on carpet. Paragon Tire or Muchmore Racing V Made Acute Carpet Tire Traction. Cleaning tires, etc.?
You have a decision to make as a club, paragon or no paragon. Stinky or no stinky!

You'll get as many opinions as there are blades of grass around the world, but here goes: Paragon doesn't get along with much else, stinks like all get out, but NOTHING, and I mean NOTHING, gets traction going like Paragon.

If you're going non-stinky, then it's Jack the Gripper or Sticky Fingers.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:10 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

i have found and others at our carpet track that SXT is better than sticky fingers
Old 01-23-2011, 05:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Paragon, Either Good old Ground Effects or The FX2 which is the "odorless" type, which is absolute bullshit because I have yet to come across any traction compound that I would dare call odorless. One can say it doesn't smell like wintergreen but don't say the shit it odorless.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:38 PM
2xs
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trerc
Paragon, Either Good old Ground Effects or The FX2 which is the "odorless" type, which is absolute bullshit because I have yet to come across any traction compound that I would dare call odorless. One can say it doesn't smell like wintergreen but don't say the shit it odorless.
You need to give the Sweep X2 compound a try. It smells a lot like gun oil and is not noticeable when you are standing around tires with it on.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:46 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

i like paragon ,i think it should be titled excessive odor when talking about odorless as everything has a smell
Old 01-23-2011, 06:58 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Question. Does Paragon go "bad" after awhile?? Reason I ask is when I use my, it just stays on top of the tire, when i use my buddy's paragon, it soaks in like no other.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trerc
Paragon Traction Action is the traction that is called by some oderless, not FX2, At least out here where I live. I think all the oderless tractions smell some, and JTG gives me headaches, not paragon.

Steve
Old 01-23-2011, 10:02 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by DuckStang
Question. Does Paragon go "bad" after awhile?? Reason I ask is when I use my, it just stays on top of the tire, when i use my buddy's paragon, it soaks in like no other.
As you get to the bottom of the can, if the paragon has darkened up quite a bit, you may need to clean the tire with something different before saucing. I've had good luck with Denatured Alchohol, Lighter Fluid, or Simple Green for cleaning [no real order there].

I wouldn't say Paragon "goes bad" just as it ages it gets a bit trickier sometimes.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

When it comes to traction compounds Paragon Ground Effects is KING. If the majority of racers at your track use Ground Effects, you can use virtually anything on your car and it will work. Nothing lays a base groove like it. FXII works but not as well as the original black and purple can. I have had Zero luck with Traction Action, the supposedly odorless compound.

As far as the "low-odor" compounds, SXT 3.0 is by far the best thing going. I had used Jack and Sticky Fingers in the past, but after trying the SXT 3.0, I'm sold. I've been using their tire/body cleaner on my rubber TC tires as well. It works as well as any other "low-odor" brands, but comes in a great bottle with a DAUBER for application, which is far superior to the bingo applicator or that stupid brush that comes with some other compounds.

The only thing I'd stay away fom is the TQ products, as the citrus oil they're based on stays in the carpet, which over time makes the track greasy, and takes away all traction.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:46 PM
Tech Regular

well i only use tire compound on dirt but i use buggy grip
Old 01-24-2011, 04:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CypressMidWest
When it comes to traction compounds Paragon Ground Effects is KING. If the majority of racers at your track use Ground Effects, you can use virtually anything on your car and it will work. Nothing lays a base groove like it. FXII works but not as well as the original black and purple can. I have had Zero luck with Traction Action, the supposedly odorless compound.

As far as the "low-odor" compounds, SXT 3.0 is by far the best thing going. I had used Jack and Sticky Fingers in the past, but after trying the SXT 3.0, I'm sold. I've been using their tire/body cleaner on my rubber TC tires as well. It works as well as any other "low-odor" brands, but comes in a great bottle with a DAUBER for application, which is far superior to the bingo applicator or that stupid brush that comes with some other compounds.

The only thing I'd stay away fom is the TQ products, as the citrus oil they're based on stays in the carpet, which over time makes the track greasy, and takes away all traction.
Pretty much sums it up! +1
Old 01-24-2011, 04:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

My track doesn't allow Paragon so I run standard Jack the Gripper. Has worked great and don't have any complaints.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:47 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Wintergreen odor makes me feel bad, and always get a headache... Long enough race and bad things come out my nose.

We run odorless, mostly sticky fingers... Easy to get and grip is better then the ground effects tracks. Newer carpet and odorless are great combo.

I have heard on jack only tracks of similar feeling to what I get from ground effects. I would guess most compounds in a confined area will have some vapor/odor effect.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Great info guys, I'm deciding on a traction compound for the club I am starting. Through my LHS, which I am adamant on supporting 100%, I can only get Paragon or Muchmore traction compounds. I am only familiar with Jack the Gripper so I am looking for advice. Heres the details

*New CRC Fasttrack Carpet
*Club will supply traction compound
*Pushing 1/12th, WGT & RCGT* so traction compound needs to be good for rubber and foam
*Using a community centre & will be running in the winter so little fresh air circulation.

Would the Paragon smell linger long after the carpet is removed from the room & would the smell in a small room just be unbearable??

*I am considering using Jaco Blues for a spec tire for RCGT which is sacrilege I know but I have the opportunity, with a majority new-to-racing members, to emphasize non-wallet breaking Stock classes and I think Jaco's would be great although aren't they changing their wheels to dish?
Thanks for you input.
RCTECH is the BOMB

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.