R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-08-2004, 09:36 PM   #1
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara
Default Need help about Motor Maintenance and Lathe? Brushes?

Ok...I just had my first 190mm TC (Pro 4) and my first outdoor race.....LOTS of fun, but I think there is 1 major thing that I have to learn and HAVE - I need to learn how to FIX motor (truing the arm) and learn how to CLEAN/Maintenance..............my used 10T motor ran as slow as a Tamiya silver 540 motor..............that MUST BE SOMETHING wrong in the motor, it is a 10Tx3....so I must be a little as close as 10 or 11T...but not like those stock motor...

I am totally ROOKIE on electric and electric motor, and would like to learn those "how to cut the ARM..." " What does Motor Lathe do and how to use it?" "What and which brushes to use..? and "What + spring and what - spring to use?" thingy....is there a website that teach you all that..? Elecltric motor maintenance for dummy/rookie?

I have plenty of friend that are willing to cut, tune and fix motor for me, but I hate to keep asking them to do that for me and I don't have to know HOW to do that or understand the whole thing....thats not right....and NO, I don't want to do brushless, at least NOT for now....

Thanks for advance.....

Also, can you guys share some opinion beside the LATHE, what other tools that I must have for elect TC racing..? like bearing lube for the motor bearing? HPI cleaning spray?....etc?
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 09:58 PM   #2
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to micros_rock

I would suggest you go to balakracing.com and read his info. IMO, it's ony of the best help-you-out rc sites there is.

BTW - here's the direct link to comm cutting: http://www.balakracing.com/commcutting.htm
micros_rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 11:01 PM   #3
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to DOMOisCOOL Send a message via AIM to DOMOisCOOL Send a message via Yahoo to DOMOisCOOL
Default Re: Need help about Motor Maintenance and Lathe? Brushes?

Quote:
Originally posted by Rookie Solara
Ok...I just had my first 190mm TC (Pro 4) and my first outdoor race.....LOTS of fun, but I think there is 1 major thing that I have to learn and HAVE - I need to learn how to FIX motor (truing the arm) and learn how to CLEAN/Maintenance..............my used 10T motor ran as slow as a Tamiya silver 540 motor..............that MUST BE SOMETHING wrong in the motor, it is a 10Tx3....so I must be a little as close as 10 or 11T...but not like those stock motor...

I am totally ROOKIE on electric and electric motor, and would like to learn those "how to cut the ARM..." " What does Motor Lathe do and how to use it?" "What and which brushes to use..? and "What + spring and what - spring to use?" thingy....is there a website that teach you all that..? Elecltric motor maintenance for dummy/rookie?

I have plenty of friend that are willing to cut, tune and fix motor for me, but I hate to keep asking them to do that for me and I don't have to know HOW to do that or understand the whole thing....thats not right....and NO, I don't want to do brushless, at least NOT for now....

Thanks for advance.....

Also, can you guys share some opinion beside the LATHE, what other tools that I must have for elect TC racing..? like bearing lube for the motor bearing? HPI cleaning spray?....etc?
"how to cut the ARM..."

It's not exactly "cutting the arm". It's cutting the commutator (comm) actually. You can do this with a motor lathe.

"What does Motor Lathe do and how to use it?"

A motor lathe uses a slave motor with a cylinder at the end and drives a little belt band thing that attatches to your armature as well (spins it).

What and which brushes to use..? and "What + spring and what - spring to use?"

Check with the guys that run the same motor as you at your local track.

so, can you guys share some opinion beside the LATHE, what other tools that I must have for elect TC racing..? like bearing lube for the motor bearing? HPI cleaning spray?....etc?"

Make sure you have a soldering iron that heats up fast and stays hot. This is the key point to good soldering. Also, get some motor spray. Clean out your motor frequently to get rid of the dirt inside. Another thing to get is a discharge/equalizer tray. I recommend the Novak or Rayspeed trays.
DOMOisCOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 11:21 PM   #4
Tech Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to donoman

1) www.balakracing.com

Has helped me the best in my rookie-hood.

2) www.rccars.com

Is moderated by a known electric car motor guru but the discussions are a little more advanced.

Start with Balak Racing. That guy is awesome.
donoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 11:35 PM   #5
Tech Master

Hey Howard,
there shouldnt be anything wrong with that motor, other than the comm needing to be cut...
I didnt have a lathe, or I would have cut it..
Once that is done it will come back to life..
that Reedy TI 10x3 is a quick motor...

Last edited by onnetz; 08-09-2004 at 02:23 AM.
onnetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 12:06 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

There's a pretty decent article on modified motor maintenance in R/C Car Action this month. That'll probably be a good start.

Stuff you'll need, sooner or later.....

Bearing oil
Motor Brushes
Motor Springs
As mentioned earlier, a hot soldering iron. A weller 40 watt iron would probably work.
Solder and Separate rosin flux.
Motor break-in power supply, a few cells would probably work.

Generally, you want to check the condition of the brushes and commutator fairly often. Brushes should not have a purple or burned color on the sides. If this is the case, then the lubricant in the brush is gone and it should be changed. Motor springs should be occasionally changed as well, though not as often as brushes. V2 motors can last quite a bit longer before checking the brushes and comm, but if you think you've severely overheated it, it can't hurt to take a look.

Cutting the comm is probably the most essential part of mod motor maintenance. Once again, the v2 motors don't need to be cut nearly as often, but you can't really cut a comm too often, if you know how to do it properly......
071crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 09:11 AM   #7
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by onnetz
Hey Howard,
there shouldnt be anything wrong with that motor, other than the comm needing to be cut...
I didnt have a lathe, or I would have cut it..
Once that is done it will come back to life..
that Reedy TI 10x3 is a quick motor...
Yes, for a 10T, it better be quick, but yesterday, it was the first time I run that motor, I believe a RADIO SHACK RC car will beat me......thats how scary that was, I was kinda embarass cause everyone is expecting me to give them a run of their money but the motor...................ahhhhhhhhh

Onnetz, don't worry, I expected that will happen and thats why I want to learn.......eventually, I will have to do that myself.

I ended up borrowing someone's 9x1 and got the PRO 4 back to the 15 laps....CAR IS ON RAIL....and your servo, ESC and batteries are ALL in very good shape.
Old 08-09-2004, 09:14 AM   #8
Tech Champion

For all the ppl that gave me good tips..........THANKS a MILLION, those site does HELP a lot, and I will spend more time to print them out and read them over and over...

At least, I don't have to worry about the high end low end needle setting for elect car....and no more FUEL all over cars dirty work.
Old 08-09-2004, 09:19 AM   #9
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by 071crazy
There's a pretty decent article on modified motor maintenance in R/C Car Action this month. That'll probably be a good start.

Stuff you'll need, sooner or later.....

Bearing oil
Motor Brushes
Motor Springs
As mentioned earlier, a hot soldering iron. A weller 40 watt iron would probably work.
Solder and Separate rosin flux.
Motor break-in power supply, a few cells would probably work.

Generally, you want to check the condition of the brushes and commutator fairly often. Brushes should not have a purple or burned color on the sides. If this is the case, then the lubricant in the brush is gone and it should be changed. Motor springs should be occasionally changed as well, though not as often as brushes. V2 motors can last quite a bit longer before checking the brushes and comm, but if you think you've severely overheated it, it can't hurt to take a look.

Cutting the comm is probably the most essential part of mod motor maintenance. Once again, the v2 motors don't need to be cut nearly as often, but you can't really cut a comm too often, if you know how to do it properly......
Bearing oil - TRINTY? Any good..? Another other opinion?

Motor Brushes - I've got plenty from Reedy and AE....

Motor Springs - that...I have no clue, my motor is a TI 10X3 from Reedy....

As mentioned earlier, a hot soldering iron. A weller 40 watt iron would probably work.....Got that, it is a Weller that used to cost around $150...there is a TURNING Temperature control, I can go up to 1000 amps. (not sure that is amps or what...it has 100 to 1000 adjustment)....

Solder and Separate rosin flux......Solder, yes, but what is Separate rosin flux?

Motor break-in power supply, a few cells would probably work....that I can managed that...

I have 1 more question, Motor LATHE, what brand and what model....? I know HUDY has plenty of them, but beside HUDY, what else I should look for..? I don't need something PROFESSIONAL........just something I can TRY in my rookie-period.

Thanks.......
Old 08-09-2004, 10:15 AM   #10
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to micros_rock

Quote:
Bearing oil - TRINTY? Any good..? Another other opinion?

Motor Brushes - I've got plenty from Reedy and AE....

Motor Springs - that...I have no clue, my motor is a TI 10X3 from Reedy....
Trinity Royal Bearing oil or any other hobby-grade oil will do fine, such as Team Orion etc.
For springs, it depends on how you want to tune the motor for torque/speed, but I would start with slightly stiffer springs for the positive side.

Quote:
As mentioned earlier, a hot soldering iron. A weller 40 watt iron would probably work.....Got that, it is a Weller that used to cost around $150...there is a TURNING Temperature control, I can go up to 1000 amps. (not sure that is amps or what...it has 100 to 1000 adjustment)....

Solder and Separate rosin flux......Solder, yes, but what is Separate rosin flux?
Soldering irons are measured in Watts, so that's what I'm gonna say that your dial is, although you will never need to go above 100 watts, because you'll kill stuff (like batteries)
Rosin flux is solder paste, I believe. You can get solder that has rosin flux already in it.

Quote:
I have 1 more question, Motor LATHE, what brand and what model....? I know HUDY has plenty of them, but beside HUDY, what else I should look for..? I don't need something PROFESSIONAL........just something I can TRY in my rookie-period.

Thanks.......
Integy has a nice lathe for only $90 new over at their site. For a lathe you need: slave motor, 4 cell pack for power, bit, and a rubber o-ring. Integy sells a package deal of all this as well.
micros_rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 10:27 AM   #11
Tech Initiate

I bought a nice used lathe with a drive motor for about $75 (vs $150) a few weeks back, it's an Integy (XIPP) super lathe w/ carbide blocks. Probably not the best one on the market, but it cuts clean & true, and that's good enough for my parking lot bashing.

Also, stick to the carbide bits, at least for the first couple dozen comms that you cut. My first practice comm, I cut too far and hit tabs; that would have been $60-$80 down the drain if it had been a diamond bit...
Corruptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 08:16 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

You probably don't need to tune springs on a 10x3 mod motor. The reedy copper off-road springs are OEM (i think), and they should suit most applications.

Most solder has rosin flux in the center, and it is usually sufficient for soldering. However, having a small amount of flux on the side (Radio Shack) can make soldering a lot easier.

It can't hurt to buy a decent lathe in the beginning, with a carbide bit for practice. That is the most likely part to damage for a beginner, and you can replace a carbide one for 10 bucks or something. When you first start cutting comms, make sure you wear some sort of eye protection. Well, you should always wear eye protection, but it's fairly easy to cut too far without experience.
071crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 09:29 PM   #13
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)
Cool Electric Rookies

Hey Rookie,
I'm in the same boat as you are about T.C. electric racing!! You're best beat is try to hang or ask your local electric racers for some help and learn as much as you can. I'm very fortunate to have great and fast electric drivers at my local track to give me a hand.
PUNISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 02:45 AM   #14
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I just got myself a 3racing lathe with V-Blocks, and I probably made the biggest rookie mistake, in that I had the motor spinning the wrong way for the tip. Looked like i was ploughing a field instead of cutting a comm.... I junked a V2 armature trying to sort out the shoody cut, and I think the cutting bit is damaged. So that's a bit of advice for you....

Hope it helps
Ed
Old 08-10-2004, 08:58 AM   #15
Tech Champion

By gathering all the information above.......I think I really need some PRO GUY to "HOLD MY HAND" before I start cutting comm....
and THANKS to all of the friend hear that shared their information, I will keep asking when I have more question...

Personally, I start enjoying elect more then nitro now (again...) No need to worry about flaming out, no need to set needle...no dirty fuel all over the car.......no worry about the 2 speed clutch or centax.....................perfect for LAZY racer like me.