R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-18-2011, 02:49 PM   #31
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolmannz2 View Post
Definately agree with you there about about peoples attitude , but for us here as a small club keeping and getting new members is vital. Just this year we changed our rules to open Batteries in all classes, personally I thought it was great no more nimh or nicad battery maintenance......but for me it wasnt a big deal as i already had run lipos for a year and had the charger, lipo sack, and so on.
I think we are in the same boat, we prob'ly have six regulars, about four more who are sitting on the fence if they should start racing and every time we race outdoors we have more people interested, but with the 17.5 cars, it looked too intimidating. We just started messing with the 21.5 stuff, but those of us running this class have pretty much decided that as the higher end cars and electronics we will be doing what we can to keep silver cans and rtr cars competitive for the time being. Our crew seems to be more interested in scale racing running VTA and GT cars looking and handling like "real" cars as opposed to the stuck like glue look of touring cars, so the hard compound hpi tires make finding traction a bit more important than all out power. I'm not sure what the answer is about the tall gearing possible with 21.5 vs. silver can though.
I'll be watching this thread with great interest to see what people come up with as well as posting our test results as far as what will make these different power systems fair on the track.
cwazyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:14 PM   #32
Tech Master

Now THAT is another option. SC or 21.5, BUT the control tire is a radial. If we had Tamiya radials as the spec tire, they would be easily available, and offer only limited traction, i'm sure even modest speed would induce some sideways action.

My car just hit 88mph. I hope it comes back soon....
JR007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:22 PM   #33
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR007 View Post
Now THAT is another option. SC or 21.5, BUT the control tire is a radial. If we had Tamiya radials as the spec tire, they would be easily available, and offer only limited traction, i'm sure even modest speed would induce some sideways action.
That is an option, but would really like to hear from more people who have already gone down this track, by either introducing a Brushless system with silvercans, or completely scrapped silvercan in favour of a Brushless system.
Toolmannz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 03:52 PM   #34
Tech Master

The thing to remember though, is most of the rest of the world has ditched SC a long time ago, and a lot of what we are tossing over is but a distant memory. Nothing wrong with SC, BUT we are many years behind everyone else for tech, they are discussing what type of brushless to have for lower classes, not if they should bring back SC's

I still like the idea of brushless for the class for NZRCA sanctioned events. Clubs run SC if they want for regular racing, and no doubt would. When it comes to the hand-out SC's there is more variation in the motor's than I car to think about for an "equal" class. For club racing it doesn't matter to me, but for the Nats it's a crap-shoot for the lucky motors. People are water dipping, 30 minute break0-in's etc, and that is not the sort of thing novices can usually manage.

What we REALLY need to sort out, is whether stock is a NOVICE class, or a SPEC class. That should really dictate what motors we should run.

My car just hit 88mph. I hope it comes back soon....
JR007 is offline   Reply With Quote