R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-14-2011, 06:14 AM   #1
Tech Regular

Default Quick droop question

Hi,

I'm running a T3 2011 and rubber tyres. I have the Hudy droop and ride heights gauges etc. If I want 6mm ride height at the front and say 6.5 at the back and a 1.5mm droop at the front and 2mm on the back would I just set the droop with the gauges and down stops at 4.5mm on the front and 4.5mm at the back ?

I know how to use all the set up stuff but I'm getting confused on setting the droop along with the ride height.

If that makes sense
S.A.W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 06:17 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.A.W View Post
Hi,

I'm running a T3 2011 and rubber tyres. I have the Hudy droop and ride heights gauges etc. If I want 6mm ride height at the front and say 6.5 at the back and a 1.5mm droop at the front and 2mm on the back would I just set the droop with the gauges and down stops at 4.5mm on the front and 4.5mm at the back ?

I know how to use all the set up stuff but I'm getting confused on setting the droop along with the ride height.

If that makes sense
The droop values on the gauges are not linked to the ride height. You need to take your measurements independently.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 06:19 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

No, the way its sounds youre trying to set droop over ride height. When you do that a droop gauge is not really used. Measure your ride height, hold the wheel down and raise the chassis as far as it goes. Then slide the gauge under and measure it again. The difference is your droop over ride height. Got it?
nitrobeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 06:25 AM   #4
Tech Regular

Ok it's hard to explain what I mean.

if I use the droop blocks and gauge and set 4.5mm on each hub then put the wheels on and set ride height to 6mm front and 6.5mm back won't this give me 1.5mm droop front and 2mm droop back ?

I understand using the ruler and lifting the car, but I though the above would give me the same results.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:30 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Quote:

if I use the droop blocks and gauge and set 4.5mm on each hub then put the wheels on and set ride height to 6mm front and 6.5mm back won't this give me 1.5mm droop front and 2mm droop back ?

I understand using the ruler and lifting the car, but I though the above would give me the same results.
It won't, primarily because the droop gauge is not calibrated in that way, and secondly because even if it was, the tyre diameter is not constant from brand to brand so the measurement could not be relied upon anyway.

As nitrobeast stated above, set your ride height, lift the car 1.5 or 2mm from that point, and work out the droop measurement that matches that.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:31 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Quote:

Give this a try. Since you understand using the "ruler and lifting the car" set your ride height and then lift and set 1.5 droop front and 2mm rear droop. Then take the tires off and check it at the hubs with you droop gauges. Youll see it doesnt add up.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:35 AM   #7
Tech Regular

ok cheers, so whats the point of using the droop blocks and guage if your going to have to change it once the ride height is set.

I thought downstops and droop was sort of the same thing, the Xray book says set downstops then ride height and then droop by adjusting shocks ?
Old 01-14-2011, 06:43 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Quote:
ok cheers, so whats the point of using the droop blocks and guage if your going to have to change it once the ride height is set.

I thought downstops and droop was sort of the same thing, the Xray book says set downstops then ride height and then droop by adjusting shocks ?
In that case, the XRAY book is wrong.

Ride height is always the first setting. Everything else follows.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:46 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Quote:

I could be wrong, but i dont think they tell you to adjust droop by adjusting shocks.

They might mention that after changing your ride height you dont have the same droop.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:56 AM   #10
Tech Regular

Yes your correct nitrobeast.

This is what was confusing me in the Xray book,
Quote:
When you use rubber tires on your car, you can set a particular downstop value to get a particular droop value, and then forget about it. Rubber tires
do not wear appreciably during use, so the droop value should not change.
which is why I thought if I set 1.5 or 2mm lower setting of the downstops compared to ride height this would I given me the same droop setting as using a ruler.

I still don't get why if I set 4mm using the blocks and droop gauge and set 6mm ride height why I don't get 2mm droop or chassis rise using the ruler method
Old 01-14-2011, 07:00 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Quote:

which is why I thought if I set 1.5 or 2mm lower setting of the downstops compared to ride height this would I given me the same droop setting as using a ruler.

I still don't get why if I set 4mm using the blocks and droop gauge and set 6mm ride height why I don't get 2mm droop or chassis rise using the ruler method
Read post 5 again.
When you set it at the hub the hub isnt on the table when you set your ride height, is it?

If you do what i mentioned before setting ride height and setting what droop u want using the lifting method and then measuring using the droop gauges you can figure out what u need to set the droop gauge at to get a specific droop. Again, this will only work if you dont ever change your ride height. I might have just confused you more on that one..hehehe

Last edited by nitrobeast; 01-14-2011 at 07:21 AM.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:17 AM   #12
avs
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:

the 4mm position you mention is the location of the bottom of the lower arm and the chassis plate lower surface. this is a measurable quantity, but the desired quantity changes with ride height/tiresize.

note, if i were to grind off some material from the lower arm where you are measuring from, the measurement would change but the down travel would not. or if i were to use a different size tire and keep same ride height, the down travel would change.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:58 AM   #13
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosidge View Post
In that case, the XRAY book is wrong.

Ride height is always the first setting. Everything else follows.
I hate to say it but I.agree with the Xray book. I set droop 1st then calibrate all other settings based off my droop to get a tweak free setup. I laugh at the use of a.droop gauge as.you need to know many other.varibles to get excact droop settings. I measure droop over.ride height with setup wheels for both droop AND ride height. This.has.worked.extremly well for.me and it has ths added bonus that I can duplicate my setup onto any other chassis instantly.