R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-14-2011, 09:06 AM   #16
Tech Elite
 
sosidge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Bristol, UK
Posts: 3,865
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone speed View Post
Woow lol , ok, i thought that i would understand but no ... :-P
My question, on some setup sheets , if its written 5 droop, does it mean 5 mm over ride height ? I mean, when i look for a setup sheet ( such as andy more cycone blabla .. ) if he has 4 or 5 droop, is it 4 or 5 mm above ride height ?
So what are the gauges for ? What do people use them for ?
With numbers as big as 4/5 mm, it will be a gauge number.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:10 AM   #17
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Denmark
Posts: 562
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone speed View Post
Woow lol , ok, i thought that i would understand but no ... :-P
My question, on some setup sheets , if its written 5 droop, does it mean 5 mm over ride height ? I mean, when i look for a setup sheet ( such as andy more cycone blabla .. ) if he has 4 or 5 droop, is it 4 or 5 mm above ride height ?
So what are the gauges for ? What do people use them for ?
4-5 sounds like downstop values, measured without the tires, with the car on the downstop blocks, and measuring with a downstop gauge, like the Hudy Downstop.

Am I right when I say that Americans primarily use droop measurement (droop over rideheight), and Europeans use downstop values?
__________________
Niklas Hansen
Team TCHobby / Team Upgrade-RC
Tamiya TRF417 / Speed Passion GT2.0 / Speed Passion V3 motors.
Nilks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:17 AM   #18
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 170
Default

If you are talking about the same car, same tires, same ride height, and measure in the same place then a droop gauge can be used. XRay seemed to be the biggest proponent of this method and this may have had something to do with the fact that Hudy had a vested interest since they sold a lot of them.

Here's a link to a post I made a while back on how I do mine. You can make a little Excell spread sheet to handle the calculations

http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-ro...ml#post4736209
calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:16 AM   #19
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 286
Default

I'm even more confused on it now

So what's droop over ride height, is this the measurment with the ruler ?

So you use the downstops to set the droop but setting say 4 on a droop gauge could be any number of droop. It won't be 2mm just because I have 6mm ride height
S.A.W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 12:14 PM   #20
2xs
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 198
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.A.W View Post
I'm even more confused on it now

So what's droop over ride height, is this the measurment with the ruler ?

So you use the downstops to set the droop but setting say 4 on a droop gauge could be any number of droop. It won't be 2mm just because I have 6mm ride height
Here is my technique for setting droop over ride height.

1) Set ride height. For this walkthrough I will use 5mm ride height.
2) If you want the chassis to lift up 2mm over the static ride height. Lift your chassis and slide your ride height gauge under the chassis until the chassis is +2mm over ride height, or 7mm on the gauge.
3) Set the droop screws so the tires just begin to lift off the setup surface. Or if you can see the tip of the screw between the chassis and arm. Watch for the screw to just touch the chassis.
4) Repeat for the other end of the car.
5) Remove the tires and place the chassis on the droop blocks. Using a droop gauge check each side of the axle to ensure that they are even side to side. 5a)If you are in a hurry you can leave the tires on the car. Place the car on the droop blocks and using a ride height gauge. Slide the gauge under the tire and check that both tires are off the setup surface the same amount. This will get the droop CLOSE but not as accurate as removing the tires

Your droop is now set to droop over ride height.
2xs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 12:32 PM   #21
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 170
Default

As an example:
Tire Diameter = 64mm
Ride Height = 6mm
You have something 20mm between the bottom of the chassis and the pit board to raise up the chassis above the pit board
For whatever reason you want a droop of 2mm (droop over ride height)

Plug in the numbers

(64mm/2) + 20mm – 6mm -2mm = 44mm

Use the droop screws to adjust the center line of the axle at the hub to 44mm measured with the ruler from the pit board.

If you change to 56 mm tires and want to keep the same droop then:

(56mm/2) +20mm -6mm – 2mm = 40mm

Use the droop screws to adjust the center line of the axle at the hub to 40mm measured with the ruler from the pit board.

See attached picture of setup (did this in a hurry - the ruler should make full contact with the pit board!)

Once you've done the math you can probably make your adjustments in less than a minute.
Attached Thumbnails
Quick droop question-pic00111a.jpg  

Last edited by calvin; 01-14-2011 at 01:23 PM.
calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 12:35 PM   #22
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 286
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xs View Post
Here is my technique for setting droop over ride height.

1) Set ride height. For this walkthrough I will use 5mm ride height.
2) If you want the chassis to lift up 2mm over the static ride height. Lift your chassis and slide your ride height gauge under the chassis until the chassis is +2mm over ride height, or 7mm on the gauge.
3) Set the droop screws so the tires just begin to lift off the setup surface. Or if you can see the tip of the screw between the chassis and arm. Watch for the screw to just touch the chassis.
4) Repeat for the other end of the car.
5) Remove the tires and place the chassis on the droop blocks. Using a droop gauge check each side of the axle to ensure that they are even side to side. 5a)If you are in a hurry you can leave the tires on the car. Place the car on the droop blocks and using a ride height gauge. Slide the gauge under the tire and check that both tires are off the setup surface the same amount. This will get the droop CLOSE but not as accurate as removing the tires

Your droop is now set to droop over ride height.
I understand that going to give that a try. Thanks.
S.A.W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 04:32 PM   #23
Tech Addict
 
cyclone speed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 621
Default

Ohh, so when i see numbers 6 , it normally means downstop , does it ?
Because at the moment if i saw 6 droop, i would run 6 mm over ride height O.O
So what is a average droop seting using the over ride height technique ? About 3 or around 6 ?
That might explain a few things if i had 6 mm over ride height instead of 3
cyclone speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 04:46 PM   #24
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Hagerstown, MD
Posts: 1,699
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone speed View Post
Ohh, so when i see numbers 6 , it normally means downstop , does it ?
Because at the moment if i saw 6 droop, i would run 6 mm over ride height O.O
So what is a average droop seting using the over ride height technique ? About 3 or around 6 ?
That might explain a few things if i had 6 mm over ride height instead of 3
that is based on the surface most of the time, on carpet i run 1.5 over rh all the way around, on asphalt most people i have seen run settings such as 2 in the front and 2.5- 3. I personally dont like alot of droop so i run 1 front and 1.5 rear for droop over ride height on asphalt. On carpet just about anybody you ask will say it doesnt really matter just dont go over 2 over ride height.
__________________
★Randy Banks★
COLD AS ICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 06:08 PM   #25
Tech Fanatic
 
alcyon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: kuala lumpur,malaysia
Posts: 954
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

The forum Starter is a Stock Aitken Waterman Fan ?
alcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 06:22 PM   #26
avs
Tech Master
 
avs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,175
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xs View Post
Here is my technique for setting droop over ride height.

1) Set ride height. For this walkthrough I will use 5mm ride height.
2) If you want the chassis to lift up 2mm over the static ride height. Lift your chassis and slide your ride height gauge under the chassis until the chassis is +2mm over ride height, or 7mm on the gauge.
3) Set the droop screws so the tires just begin to lift off the setup surface. Or if you can see the tip of the screw between the chassis and arm. Watch for the screw to just touch the chassis.
4) Repeat for the other end of the car.
5) Remove the tires and place the chassis on the droop blocks. Using a droop gauge check each side of the axle to ensure that they are even side to side. 5a)If you are in a hurry you can leave the tires on the car. Place the car on the droop blocks and using a ride height gauge. Slide the gauge under the tire and check that both tires are off the setup surface the same amount. This will get the droop CLOSE but not as accurate as removing the tires

Your droop is now set to droop over ride height.
that procedure makes as much sense as it can. i would only suggest using more precise terms. too many people are using the word to describe different things.

1- droop gauges should be called downstop gauges, because they are measuring the location of the downstop in the suspension travel.

2- down travel or lift is amount of suspension from the ride height setting to where the suspension hits the downstop.

3- droop would be a resonable term to describe down travel but too many people use it to define the downstop position.

not picking on you, your explanation was just the most useful one.
__________________
Tony Shimko
avs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 06:25 PM   #27
avs
Tech Master
 
avs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,175
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone speed View Post
Ohh, so when i see numbers 6 , it normally means downstop , does it ?
Because at the moment if i saw 6 droop, i would run 6 mm over ride height O.O
So what is a average droop seting using the over ride height technique ? About 3 or around 6 ?
That might explain a few things if i had 6 mm over ride height instead of 3
you got it. your only mistake was taking people's statements literally.

downtravel or droop over 3mm on an onroad car (1/10 or 1/8) is a lot, more than 1mm on 1/12is a lot

i would be surprised if you are even able to set 6mm down travel, most shocks don't have that much travel.
__________________
Tony Shimko
avs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 07:45 PM   #28
Tech Addict
 
Luke Hobson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: newark, nottinghamshire, UK
Posts: 526
Send a message via MSN to Luke Hobson
Default

I really dislike the droop over ride height method, I've never liked it, probably never will lol,

I just set my car on the 10mm blocks, then set the downstops to the desired amount (from under the arm) say 6 front and 5 rear in most circumstances.

Then wheels back on, and set ride height, assuming your dampers are long enough, and you don't go over 6.5/7mm front downstop setting, this will never limit your ride height is you keep within reasonable amounts, 5-6.5mm

Hope that helps,
Luke
__________________
Luke Hobson
Awesomatix - Xenon - Godzilla Paint - Moorespeed - ToniSport - MBmodels

http://luke-hobson.blogspot.com/
Luke Hobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 10:04 PM   #29
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 5,310
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Hobson View Post
I really dislike the droop over ride height method, I've never liked it, probably never will lol,

I just set my car on the 10mm blocks, then set the downstops to the desired amount (from under the arm) say 6 front and 5 rear in most circumstances.

Then wheels back on, and set ride height, assuming your dampers are long enough, and you don't go over 6.5/7mm front downstop setting, this will never limit your ride height is you keep within reasonable amounts, 5-6.5mm

Hope that helps,
Luke
On what chassis? Different suspension systems give different droop gauge readings for the same amount of actual droop (over ride height). At the end of the day the droop over ride height IS the actual element that you tune with droop gauges no matter how you use them.
__________________
Blade: Andro Treiber H 79g AN
FH: Donic Bluefire M3 Max Blk
BH: Donic Bluefire M2 Max Red
Powered by Falco
Dragonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 02:19 AM   #30
Tech Addict
 
cyclone speed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 621
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by avs View Post
you got it. your only mistake was taking people's statements literally.

downtravel or droop over 3mm on an onroad car (1/10 or 1/8) is a lot, more than 1mm on 1/12is a lot

i would be surprised if you are even able to set 6mm down travel, most shocks don't have that much travel.
Yes exactly, thats the problem i had, a while back i asked a few times " why dont my shocks go to their full length " and that was because i had 6 mm over rh, i did have difficulties puting 6mm over rh but now i know its suposed to be 1-3 mm, il change .
By the way, last question : when you say 2 mm over ride height, is it 2 mm before the centerline of the wheel doesnt touch the ground, or do you mean 2 mm before the wheel doesnt become flat on the surface ?
cyclone speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brief (Daft) Tourer handling Question (TA05) Andysan Electric On-Road 15 06-21-2010 01:49 PM
Droop-question Low_E Electric On-Road 15 10-22-2009 08:25 AM
XXXS droop........... wannabee Electric On-Road 8 02-07-2003 08:33 PM
Setting: Droop VS Camber link position Alvin Electric On-Road 55 01-13-2002 10:21 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 03:44 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net