R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-12-2011, 06:41 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Beginner car suggestions???

Im looking to get into drifting. Need opinions on a good beater car, I dont want to spend a bunch of money because this is only going to be a hobby to start, no competitions.

I like the TC4 but its a little pricey @ $250

Anything a little cheaper that would be decent?
Old 01-12-2011, 07:06 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzld231 View Post
Im looking to get into drifting. Need opinions on a good beater car, I dont want to spend a bunch of money because this is only going to be a hobby to start, no competitions.

get a old xray fk05/o4 and they r cheap and indestructable large bearings thruout and big arms . tons of parts can be found cheap also. would say tc3/4 but they r not quite as strong i dont think but the shaft drive is a plus
but if u want to go realy cheap and have a nice drift car
i have a fully loaded tt-01 with a ton of hopups and spairs with a servo/esc and black can that has potential with brushless. 125 shipped?
it was races a handfull of times in spec vta back 3yrs ago and been a shelf queen ever since. its at 95% ment
jlfx car audio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:12 PM   #3
Tech Rookie

Is it ready to be driven? I dont have the money or know-how to build anything yet.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:45 AM   #4
Tech Rookie

The TT01D comes set up for drift and with a regular set of tires its capable enough for parking lot racing. The RTR ones come built and have a radio and electronics already installed. They're under $300.

Take a look at Tamiya's web site, look for part number 57765 for example. There are many other body options as well, just look around the site or search for TT01D RTR.

You might be able to find one used for a good price ($200 or less). They go for about $280 new.
series8217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 05:58 AM   #5
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzld231 View Post

I started 6 months ago. I wanted a RTR to start so went with the Kyosho TF5. 6 months later I have pretty much changed everything in the car.. new burshless motor and ESC.. new Sanwa MX3X transmitter... new 3Racing Graphite Chassis.. new suspension.

In the end a I have assembled the car over 50 times and definitely think a kit would have been better. I now have a nice car, but alot of parts I will never use again and have spent 4x times the price of the RTR..
tigerdim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:38 AM   #6
Tech Adept

Send a message via ICQ to Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerdim View Post
I started 6 months ago. I wanted a RTR to start so went with the Kyosho TF5. 6 months later I have pretty much changed everything in the car.. new burshless motor and ESC.. new Sanwa MX3X transmitter... new 3Racing Graphite Chassis.. new suspension.

In the end a I have assembled the car over 50 times and definitely think a kit would have been better. I now have a nice car, but alot of parts I will never use again and have spent 4x times the price of the RTR..
There is no surprise. It is quite normal for a beginner to start up with a RTR or entry level low cost kit, and ended up spending 3x 4x or even more money. There is a learning curve. RC car do crash and crash hard. A $3xx top level chassis is a very high price tag, and they also do break, and replacement part are not cheap.

A tough car is a good start (Xray, Top).
Avoid Tamiya, their top level chassis price are crazy (vs their build quality) and does not last long. Their entry to middle level chassis are ok, but hop-up options are very pricey, and, Tamiya price tag is very high in the US (better in Asia such as Hong Kong)
Avoid Sakura S Zero too, it need an experience racer to assemble it right and many user did upgrade them ... ended up 2x 3x the price.

Buy good quality stuff, they work better and last longer.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:29 AM   #7
Tech Elite

I would suggest getting a tub chassis car like the TC4, TA05 or TT01. And you could get a used TC4 for less than a new one.