R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-16-2011, 10:15 AM   #526
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by revo61 View Post
When don't cut ours down at all. When never had those issues with foam when we ran mod.
Bashing with foam tires in a parking lot is nothing like racing with foam tires on carpet. If you guys are having fun, and found something that works, then stick with it. But anybody that's ever raced foam even remotely seriously knows where that path leads.

Last edited by syndr0me; 01-16-2011 at 10:33 AM. Reason: typo
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:48 AM   #527
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
Bashing with foam tires in a parking lot is nothing like racing with foam tires on carpet. If you guys are having fun, and found something that works, then stick with it. But anybody that's ever raced foam even remotely seriously knows where that path leads.
He never said they were "bashing". We also raced (not "bashed") with foam tires on parking lots in Michigan for several years. Guess what? Rubber tires (in 19T class) lasted about 2-3 race days before they either gave up traction or the cords showed through. Foam tires lasted 4-6 race days (in mod class), at which time they were about the right size to run indoors. Indoors on carpet is a whole different beast, and it seems that rubber is the way to go there (or maybe the tires have gotten better over the years). Not trying to start a multi-page argument, just saying that maybe the things you know for certain aren't necessarily true everywhere...
Kevin Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:56 AM   #528
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
My track is a parking lot. Rubber tires are good for one maybe two heats and then they have little to no traction. Foams have the same traction up untill the foam is gone from the wheel. You just have to adjust ride height. Foams on touring car about 20 for a set, rubber is 40. We also run 10.5.
sorry about your prices, we can get Solaris, Sweeps, Jacos for under 30 a set FULL set, premounted.

but I would like to get some of those 20 a set of foams.

if your only getting 2 runs out of your rubber tires you need to switch brands/ratings, or the traction compound your using. that and car setup.

btw, I have ran foams on a TC on a preped parking lot track, and it is freaking dailed and would perfer that over rubber. but last longer, cheaper, naw. my rubber tires on my sedan last longer then my foam tires on my nitro car. and yea, we cut them, have to, to go fast.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:59 AM   #529
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Marcy View Post
He never said they were "bashing". We also raced (not "bashed") with foam tires on parking lots in Michigan for several years. Guess what? Rubber tires (in 19T class) lasted about 2-3 race days before they either gave up traction or the cords showed through. Foam tires lasted 4-6 race days (in mod class), at which time they were about the right size to run indoors. Indoors on carpet is a whole different beast, and it seems that rubber is the way to go there (or maybe the tires have gotten better over the years). Not trying to start a multi-page argument, just saying that maybe the things you know for certain aren't necessarily true everywhere...
you run the same tires on pavement as you do on carpet?

your last sentence is probably the best I've read in a long time.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:21 AM   #530
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Marcy View Post
Not trying to start a multi-page argument, just saying that maybe the things you know for certain aren't necessarily true everywhere...
No doubt, but my response was toward the original post insinuating that because 4 guys running foams in a parking lot is working well for them, we should run it everywhere, on all surfaces.

When talking about rules and classes, you pretty much have to fall back on generalized ideas geared toward the majority of racers. There are undoubtedly fringe cases all over, but they're too different and diverse to try and target with rules intended for a larger audience.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 04:51 PM   #531
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
And we don't bash we have races. Here is a clip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdaKKPFT8Eg
USA.JQRACING.COM / WWW.NEMORACINGUSA.COM
revo61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 04:59 PM   #532
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

Foam fronts $10
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Tires-35-Shore

Foam rears $10
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Tires-37-Shore

Rubber tires
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...s-92-Degrees-4

I am in North Florida during the summer the asphalt is 100 plus degrees.
USA.JQRACING.COM / WWW.NEMORACINGUSA.COM
revo61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 05:35 PM   #533
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_B View Post
Foam was fine back when the cars were slower. Now, foam (especially mod) comes apart in a couple of runs. Even in 12th they're mowing the tires down so they're only good for a couple of runs. Run harder rubber and you'll go slow.

There are more ways to slow the motors down than just adding winds. The first thing I would do is try a single wind instead of the doubles. What I think we need is less torque from the motors not less RPM.

Something needs to be done to get onroad back on track before it dies out completely... I really don't want to hear about everyone's local track that's doing great. Fact is that onroad is dieing a slow death and it's going to take changes in order to attract new racers.
Spec the foam. Spec Purples. Identifying stripe, tech 'em in just like rubbers. Purples will slow the cars down, and won't wear like the magentas. Just a thought.

As for your point on motors, I couldn't agree more.
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 05:40 PM   #534
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot View Post
you run the same tires on pavement as you do on carpet?

your last sentence is probably the best I've read in a long time.
Back in the heyday of foam racing with turnouts of over 200 tc's at ALL the big races EVERYONE ran Purples and Plaids on asphalt and carpet. Magentas/Double Pinks killed foam TC.

BUT..... I must admit that rubber tire tech has come a long way since the late 90's.
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 06:08 PM   #535
Tech Regular

Some rubber tyre video`s on aphalt...think the grip is ok...
http://www.machheemstede.nl/home/ind...ieuws&Itemid=2
rbakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 06:26 PM   #536
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CypressMidWest View Post
I've done both, and still prefer foam. Maybe it's just Touring Car that's horrible We've been running rubber on asphalt forever in the US, and we still get smoked on asphalt at the Worlds. And hell, they've always run foams in Nitro TC, and we just finally won a 200mm WC, (Way to go Ralph!!). I'm not sure what our problem is, but I don't think it's the fact that we ran Foams.

No biggie though, I just play with TC's. After all these years, I still can't get that into it.
Bow to the great Ian Ruggles- well played.

But, honestly- after a race day like I just had, Rubber is incredible. Tekin RS Pro- also incredible.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:21 PM   #537
Tech Champion

Send a message via AIM to TimPotter

Or you could run a Spec rubber tire like the Solaris, and get them for $25 a set. We do not need to get into the Rubber/Foam argument. Thats has been settled by the racers already.

Quote:
Foam fronts $10

Foam rears $10

Rubber tires

Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost
TimPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 07:53 PM   #538
Tech Adept

Quote:
Foam fronts $10

Foam rears $10

Rubber tires

Those are links to Nitro foams. Electric foams are about the same price (or a couple bux more) but have way less foam on them so wear out a lot faster. I've used the Nitro foams myself on a particularly abrasive Nitro track running a mod motor where rubber was wearing out too fast.

If cost is an issue for rubber tires check out Sweep Racing's line of EXP tires (www.sweepracingusa.com for the entire line up and temperature ranges). The EXP 40 is great for very high temps and available for $29.95 pre-mounted for a set of 4 from www.nexusracing.com which is on the east coast and has very good shipping (I get same week international delivery from them if I order by Monday). My track temps are fairly high year round (I'm quite a bit more south than you) and I've had good results with the Sweep EXP 36 and EXP 40 on an unprepared parking lot track which is not too abrasive. They last for quite a few weekends of racing too once the track is not too abrasive.
spongerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 08:01 PM   #539
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CypressMidWest View Post
Back in the heyday of foam racing with turnouts of over 200 tc's at ALL the big races EVERYONE ran Purples and Plaids on asphalt and carpet. Magentas/Double Pinks killed foam TC.

BUT..... I must admit that rubber tire tech has come a long way since the late 90's.
Have to agree with you. Double pinks and magentas killed foam racing. We ran ona prepped asphalt track back in the day with purples and double purples, outlasted the JACO premounts 2:1 and cost a heck of a lot cheaper back then. On the carpet all we did was stiffen the shocks a little and put plaids on the front.

**TEAM RCAMERICA**XRAY**HUDY**PROLEVEL RC**
chensleyrc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 08:23 PM   #540
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

So is it time to lock this thread yet? We went from ROAR rules to regional/national race structures, and now it's all about foam tires?
reenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote